Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Nothic - D&D Monster

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Dark_Flick polycounter lvl 10
I've always watched the amazing posts from all of you guys, but I'm not going to get any better if I don't contribute myself. Feel free to tear me apart.

Here's a character I'm working on and a little experiment I'm also trying.
I'm recording everything and posting it on twitch.tv/dark_flick. I get to see where I'm slowing down so I can improve on all fronts.

Got my reference photos here along with the ZSphere base and what it looks like now. Right now I'm convinced I need to fix those poor feet first.

nothic_reference.jpg
nothic_01.jpg
nothic_02.jpg
nothic_03.jpg

Replies

• Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    hello. i believe you should add more muscle to his legs, and the "heel" should be reduced, like the dino bones you have and the concept art on the left. also his palms should be enlarged and with long fingers, to make him look more dangerous. keep it up mate!
  • Dark_Flick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Aga22, making the fingers longer does add a lot of horror to this guy.

I've fleshed him out a lot more, think he's about to the point where I can start adding details. Just need to add the bottom teeth.

What do you all think?

nothic_01_11_07_2012.jpg
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    It reminds me of a good ol' times :)
    tumblr_mch8h21Eo01qcb7k0o1_500.gif
  • Dark_Flick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *laughs*

Love that Half-life reference!

Sorry for the silence everyone, I'm in the midst of moving so I apologise for the random bouts of nothing you may get.

Here's what I've gotten done so far.

nothic_01_11_13_2012.jpg

I'm a little lost on what else to get done with him, so in the meantime I'm just doing up the Low-poly since I'm 99% sure there won't be any changes to his form.
    As always, any critiques or ideas are more than welcome.
    Thanks everyone.
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    ye,form looks good,all hi's missing now are those tiny details on muscles,skin etc.
    Keep it up
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Nice, where did you get the concepts from?

I like the right concept more than the left concept reference, so I'd make the right one with those nice looking and big spikes on his back, the bigger muscle forms from the left, colors also from the right and any of the eyes or a mix of both.

Take your time on everything and put as much details as you think you can, hope to see more.
  • Dark_Flick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the long silence on this one everyone. I got discouraged by the sheer amount of detail needed for him so I started on an environment of a chapel. The comments keep me motivated though, so a big "THANK YOU!" to all who have posted on this thread. Always rough when you start sharing your work, too much second guessing. I'll get back on him now.

@4evra - Thanks. The tiny details are murder, I've never done anything with this much skin and the effects are a little daunting. But hey, if you don't challenge yourself you never get better.

@$!nz - The main creature concepts are from the Dungeons and Dragons Monster Manual. The only pieces I kept from the paper and dice days.
    As for the look, I was thinking of going in that direction but I feel more confident in that choice after your post. VERY much appreciate the "take your time on everything and put as much details as you think you can". It gives me some relief (and drive) to keep him going.
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    I'd have to agree with $!nz on the detail thing. We see so many detailed objects and characters in games and art these days. With so much emphasis on workflows and time saving stuff, it's easy to forget that detail work still takes time and care.

As a general rule, if something seems daunting: baby steps. Like for the skin, right? Make a sphere, and experiment on it until you get something that looks like the detail in the concept. Once you've figured out how to do it, you can probably draw a few conclusions on how you can do it more efficiently. Apply that knowledge to the sculpt for a few hours, and before you know it, you'll have it done.