Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bahamut w.i.p.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys,I am learning Zbrush,so I am trying to copy an image of bahamut inside it,let's see how far i can bring it :)

unled1iy.png

Replies

• Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    found this 1 years old model digging in my external hard drive,I thought to continue it,little up

94906389.png
  • theSixtyEight
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    looks good :) subscribed
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    little up,don't have had much time to work it,today I'll continue it,the problem is that the tepology is really messy cause ages ago when I started it I used the remesh,so I think I'll go now for a retopology.
    when it will be finished,I was thinking to put a mega flare charginf in his mouth :P

87556858.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    First retopology,hopefully should be easyer to sculpt on now :)

11378015.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    First character unwrap,but I found is nothing different from unwrapping hard surface stuff,same tools,same procedure :)
    I used road killer to display the final unwrap with the stretch shader,but I actually have unwrapped it inside 3ds max to have more control,though probably next time I try in roadkill to decide wich is faster & wich give best resoults.
    I got some question guys.
    As you can see I have a seam in the middle of the chin bacause I wanted to have the head piece as a single uvshell,though I know that seams on the center are usually bad,really visible...so my question is,it would have been better if I have had no seam on the chin but instead 1 seam on top of the jaw,under the "zygomatic bone"?

85624692.png
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Marcus. You are making some great progress with zbrush :) You should not really worry about that seam being visible because if it bakes fine it will not be noticeable. Then again it is always better to place the seams at areas where they are hidden or less visible so I would suggest do a quick test bake and see how it looks.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi miro,thanks for the suggestion :)
    I've done a very rough & fast bake & the seam is extremely visible :(
    now I don't know how to proceed about this,help guys :poly122:

87811083.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed guys,Thx to miro! :)
    back to sculpt now :)
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    Here the low poly model,ready for textures :P

My first low poly head,this is a milestone for me,I hope it will be the first of many :)

bahamuth.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    Started with the handpainting,but I have a lot to learn about this,so please guys feel free to share any tip & tricks :)

64224387.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    doing some test with 3point shader.
    My idea was to mix flesh & metal,you know that kind of car paint that change color based on the angle you watch it? well,I would like to have something like that,but I don't know how to doing something silimar for example in udk,so I am trying to fake that both in the diffuse & specular :S (ignore that yellow)

82249356.png
  • DJ_Aaron
    Offline / Send Message
    DJ_Aaron polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, this is coming along really good :D
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    Where are his ear flap wing things?
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the biggest thing pissing me off about this... is that it looks rushed. it looks and feels like you're trying to burn through it as quick as you can.

look how smooth and polished he is in the concept, and how rough and bumpy he is in your final sculpt, and the resulting bake... it just really pulls the whole thing apart.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    @dirigible:I preffered it without those,so I don't have put them

@almighty_gir: you have totally right about this,I also have spent a lot of time trying to make it smoother inside Zbrush & failing,maybe I was only using the wrong brushes & also I stop to look to the concept & drive it a bit away from it,can't tell...in the end I decided to move forward,because there it will be always time to do super good works,but for now my main worry was to get this done & not unfinished like many of other 3d models I've done (that always stops at modeling stage) :poly141:
    You know,kind of like you are at the beggining with drawing,you can spend hours & hours trying to make it look perfect but in the end it suck,because something only comes with a lot of failed drawings & time,I guess.. :poly141:
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    You could have rushed this model, but kept the quality much higher.

The biggest problem I see is you limited yourself to only sculpting on one mesh, that's a no-no, especially for a character like Bahamut here, who's entire body is essentially scaled and layered.

You could have divided his lower jaw, side-neck lines, mouth, upper head all the way till the back in different sub-tools, and this would have allowed to push higher poly-counts, and have much harder transitions between the different surfaces, hence reading out better.

I'm serious about this, if you get the time, revisit this model and try out layers/instanced techniques in ZB, it will help you alot, especially for a model like this, which is just begging for it.

You could also polypaint by using this technique, especially with layers on each subtool, that would have made your life much easier.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback Ace-Angel,I will keep all this in mind,as stated before with this I am pointing more to finish & learn what I can in the process,but for the next one I will for sure attempt to do better,keeping in mind to use multiple sub-tools if I came across another model like this one.

As for now,I am handpainting the base texture (without lights,normal or specular,just flat diffuse),another thing I want learn to do properly (& faster as well),can you guys give me suggestion/crits about it pls?

85558424.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    I am keeping working the diffuse

74449238.png