Home› Technical Talk

Super Mudbox painting problems

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
So I've just started messing with Mudbox, and as usual with new 3d programs, I'm totally lost. I've modeled a simple base mesh in Max. It is a pillar to be sculpted in Mayan fashion. I know that sculpting programs like Mudbox and ZBrush like very even geo so I did my best, but my best isn't good enough I guess. I couldn't avoid adding the extra geo on the edges as they're obviously needed for sud-d or the model would collapse.

I've had many issues with the sculpting alone, but the painting is just not working. My UVW layout in Max is clean-relaxed, no overlaps/inverted faces etc. The checker map looks fabulous in Max but when I bring it over and paint in MB it's a no go. I'll let the pics tell the story below. I'm sure there have been other probs like this before by other users. Thanks in advance from a still novice 3d user.

low poly geo

pillar_geo.jpg

uvw layout in Max

pillar_mayan_02-UVW.jpg

checker map test in Max

pillar_uvs.jpg

uvw's in MB

pillar_uvs_MB.jpg

and the model in MB with same checker map

pillar_uvs_MB_02.jpg

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    to long thin faces... and you havnt turned on smooth uvs in the subD prefs...
    and you need some more edges to hold the faces in place...
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I would use PTEX in mudbox to paint your highpoly, you won't need to setup uv's that way. If you don't want to do that, have you tried toggling the [x] Smooth UV's option?

As for your basemesh - you would definitely need some edge loops down the middle of your geometry, what you've got there is anything but evenly divided ;-)

To keep edges crisp without having to add support loops in Max, bring the model into mudbox, go to the subdivision options and uncheck "smooth positions". subdivide it two or three times, then go back to the options, re-check smooth positions, and subdivide some more.

You can also bring in smoothing groups, though that's version 2013 I think?
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bah, oglu wins this one ;)
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so I just need to add more even geo around the model, re-unwrap, reimport the obj, and tick off smooth uv's? I'll try again tomorrow after my scripting homework. Thanks guys.
  • cptSwing
  • warxsnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warxsnake polycounter lvl 8
    Use 3Dcoat for low poly texture painting, it doesn't care of your topology and handles texture resolutions and PSDs without problems, and it imports correct smooth groups from your low res without any convoluted steps, so you don't need to add "artificial" edge loops or mess with your mesh in any way, just import your final in-game version.
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    Sub-D UVs on, smooth UVs off.
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so here are my results of the sculpting part. Finally got some kind of a decent result although, in the later stages the mesh wanted to start tearing on the in/outside edges*shrug*. Apart from that, after adding much more geo and ticking off smooth uv's, the painting seemed to work much better but not perfect. When I would project on the front for instance, the overlap on the sides would smear and vice-versa. Is this some other trick I don't know yet about MB painting???? Anyhow, the above shots are just MB materials I messed with and simple lights for a render-albeit, not the best I know. I still need to fade down the carvings to make them look much older and worn, and paint it. Then I'll need to tackle the texture baking which is my super Achilles' Heal.

base model with default texture.

render_pillar.png

my own MB texture with some AO, Z-depth and such-not the best:\

render_pillar_passes.jpg
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can define a falloff angle for projection painting