fattyespecular.jpg

glow

fattyincandenses.jpg

Any opinion would be helpful
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    Looks really cool, I would love to see some more angles on it. Have you tossed it in engine yet to see how it holds up?

Right now it is looking a little too clean too, like it just came off the assembly line. Dirty it up a bit, make it look like its been through some shit.

One other thing that pops out to me is that the barrel gets lost inside the chassis right now in your first capture. I think it could work with something either on the bottom of the barrel or the top of the chassis so that the internal shapes are a little more well defined.

Keep going!
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    I have to inquire about your normals. I've never seen such a clean map, like it was made entirely in nD02. I'm curious how you achieved that look and what your edge normals look like on the model.
  • BI0H0G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BI0H0G polycounter lvl 9
    I have to inquire about your normals. I've never seen such a clean map, like it was made entirely in nD02. I'm curious how you achieved that look and what your edge normals look like on the model.

i use the xnormal plugin in photoshop and use a grey scale to control how deep the gaps are. So i use flat grey for normal and work from there.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Looks good but I have a few criticisms.

I'm not a pro so don't believe everything I say.

as far as the model goes (maybe not relevant to you, but whenever I make a texture I make sure the model is optimised) the smoothing groups are a bit odd in places (cannon, metal pipe). you're also using a normal map but you didn't do an actual bake, so you should make a high poly model with some smoother edges so you can get better specular highlights

You can just overlay your panels on that normal map.

your diffuse is WAY too clean. even for a relatively new model you'd expect scratches, dirt and even some rust. add scratches around all of the panels and add dirt in the separations between panels and on flat surfaces.

Boost the contrast in your spec so you get more detail out of your metal. And it seems like you used your AO map in your specular map, which I don't think you're supposed to do.

add some metal detail to your normal map. The standard metal preset in ndo2 is great for that. Ndo2 is also great for making those panels, I'd recommend any texture artist to get it.

I don't know what kind of shader you're using but consider using marmoset, xoliul shader or making a render in the engine you're using. it doesn't really look like metal at the moment, the specular highlights are too big, try adjusting the specular level/gloss or make a gloss map.

On your emissive maps, try to have a few more shades of your colour.
    rather than having a (almost) flat colour have a highlight, medium shade and darkish shade, with a glow around it.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    i would add more detail to your normals. they are a little TOO flat, i wouldnt suggest too much at this point, but think about where it may have been repainted in the past or where maybe it has taken some bumps or dings, eben as simple as where paint was layered on a little too thick... makes it look less like a toy :
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    I'm not sure how smart is to use such a big texture for a couple self illum lights here and there. Might be a wiser choice to put the tris that those lights are, on another uv map say something like 128x128 if that makes sense?
  • BI0H0G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BI0H0G polycounter lvl 9
    Here is a test i did in UDK (i not that good in udk still learning the ropes)

fattytexfrontside.jpg

fattytexside.jpg

fattytexsideback.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You went way overboard on the scratches and dirt, turn that way down, the scratches need to be thinner and less spotty. It looks a lot better clean. Also there isn't anything wrong with a cleaner model, I'd still add a bit of exhaut grime on some of the vents though.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    You could combine some of your texture maps into other files if you have not done so. It would save on space and you can break things down once inside the material editor in UDK. You could combine the spec and glow into single channels of one map or into the alpha of the diffuse, etc.

Your emission map should be a plain mask rather than have color info baked into it. If you multiply a vector parameter into it you can get your color but also be able to tweak it in engine as opposed to baking out a new mask if needed. Also, the normal map looks really plain. It's a good start but you could really push the material further. Keep going.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    You duplicated your sky dome.
  • BI0H0G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BI0H0G polycounter lvl 9
    A new version of the diffuse texture, still trying to get the normals working. the especular is there but not that visible still working on that

fattytexfrontside.jpg
  • ikarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikarus polycounter lvl 10
    wow, looking good ^_^
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    That's a lot better! Now just adjust the specular map (more contrast probably) and specular values to make it look more like metal
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    I think it's important to say that your diffuse has really come a long way. Everybody's critic is accurate, but you should know you're definitely on the right track. Maintain the course!
  • BI0H0G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BI0H0G polycounter lvl 9
  • Jayden.H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jayden.H polycounter lvl 6
    I like your texture biohog.

Sadly though, the fatty is now the rhino and the vehicles is rebel, due to the fact that nearly no rebel units were made in comparison the those from the IMI.