Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Help me Learn modular building construction!!

Nistrum
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys. I'm trying to get the workings of modular environment construction down. I wanted to start pretty simple, so I relatively flat building was first.

Tower008.jpg

here there is a little left to do. you see the detailing running vertically down the ends of those are not done, they are also missing from the corners above the main door. other than that there is 1 tile left to do which will be a ground floor window set..
as it stands all the tiles etc are on 1 texture sheet and the fire escape and AC unit are on another (with room for more] the idea for this to be that I can use the building assets on any structure.

basically what I'm planning to do now is build a series of modular buildings learning as I go, was thinking I might build a church after this, or maybe just something a little more "epic" so I can add some really cool details. I'm open to suggestions, both for how to improve what I have already and where to go next :D

Replies

• Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 12
    A wire frame, and all your modules would help me give some advice.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i cant get a WF out of udk that makes any sence. lol but here are the modules
    modules.jpg
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 12
    Ok so first of all nice job with the snap, not even any visible seams. what I did notice is your modules are awfully small, most I've seen make a single module a entire block of wall with a window/door/whatever in it, or some even just do an entire floor, I personally like the way your doing it, but there are a few scale issues. It seems to me that with modules this small you don't get any large pieces that you see on many buildings, see the hastily and shoddily done paint over:
    Tower008.png

Disregard the darkening, idk why it did that sorry.
    Notice on the pictures I pulled from Google, there are large pieces that divide things up, ridges on the corners, and in between floors, same with at the bottom, on the left I drew a few things I think you should have.
    1-2 some sort of window header, doesn't have to look like this, just most places have one, keeps it from looking like a prison.
    3-4 just some modules to put in between floors and on the edges, in hindsight you could probably just use the ones going down the side.
    and now that I think about it there's a fifth that I didn't write down, and that's the thing at the top, gives it a nice top off, also if you wanted more detail you could make a ridge around the top with those little support things going up to it.
    Basically just flesh it out a little bit, you have a good base but there's not much to it atm, also I drew a circle around the satellite dish, because this is the stuff that makes it lived in, 2-3 more window textures of like a pile of clothes leaning against it, or flowers at the window, maybe an extra model of something hanging out like cloth or a dish, just little bits.
    Also I would pay some love to the door, maybe some door bell ringers, some steps/gate, things like that.

PS: I'm not a genius at this stuff or anything, if anyone else has anything to correct or add please do, this was mainly just my opinion.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, thats pretty awesome. but it brings me back to the reasons for the smaller modules... ATM the modules used for the actual building its self are all on a 248 sheet (i know its big] but i was curious as to how peoiple use texture sheets with the bigger modules, is it common practice to make a module or 2 witht hier own smaller texture sheet or do you just put loads and loads onto a single sheet??
  • davidosterlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    davidosterlind polycounter lvl 5
    Hi!, If you haven´t already seen it; Went through this tutorial a while ago. Its really good, he´s using Max but same workflow applies.

http://www.3dmotive.com/training/udk/modular-building-workflow/
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, it looks like a great tutorial.. ill have to wait till i can pay £15 before i watch it though :( for now I need to hunt down info on breaking up my textures :P
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, i managed to add some details to the windows, i have the texture space to do some other window types so they will be next. theres no diffuse or normal on the new bits, so they don't show up well yet, but do you think this is a step in the right direction?

Windowdeco.jpg