Home Technical Talk

SUBSTANCE DESIGNER 2.1

Check out the brand new webpage dedicated to Substance Designer, now in its version 2.1, and see in particular how Kenny Lammers, ex Activision, Microsoft Technical Art Director uses the tool as a true hub for all of his company's texturing work.

New features of version 2.1 include a complete redesign of the layer stack, now adding effects, drag&drop and mask preview. The SVG Paint tool also has been improved and a couple of handy modifications have been made with ease of use and productivity in mind.

http://www.allegorithmic.com/products/substance-designer-2 :)

Replies

• Paradan
    i just finished up with the demo a couple weeks ago.
    the svg editor is way cool as it lets you create masks on the fly.
    i was able to load up my UV outline for my mesh, as well as have the mesh in preview, saves the extra step of making a bunch of textures and then piecing them together in another tool.

also really liked a couple of their pre-made filters. the high and low pass, o yeah and the non-uniform blur, very cool.

i think i prefer mapzones way of making FXmaps as opposed to this new system, although the iteration thing was helpful.
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    I always wonder how the live materials compare in performance since it's basically like writing a really complex shader with a ton of extra texture samples for utility maps (Noise, WSN, AO).

If I had the shader budget to do that, why wouldn't I just do it straight in the engine where I can more easily expose the shader to things like vertex color and use less textures with channel packing as well as optimize?

I'd imagine that most companies that use this use it as a means to turn out a lot of textures quickly and then render out flattened version.

All in all, this looks very cool and fun to use. This would be a killer addition to a 3D painting app like Mudbox, especially if you could access the highres mesh for inputs like for example, deriving true curvature maps.
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I think its a bit overpriced, it would be perhaps a good idea to lower it or offer different versions reflecting different set of tools. Its close to what PS costs and no where near its complexity or demand in the market.
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    I would kill for a version of photoshop that has simultaneous texture editing or node graph editing.
  • Paradan
    theres a lite version, but they stripped out the ability to write functions, and some other critical stuff. better off with map zone.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Computron wrote: »
    I always wonder how the live materials compare in performance since it's basically like writing a really complex shader with a ton of extra texture samples for utility maps (Noise, WSN, AO).

If I had the shader budget to do that, why wouldn't I just do it straight in the engine where I can more easily expose the shader to things like vertex color and use less textures with channel packing as well as optimize?

The main advantage is that you don't store all these utility maps in video memory, you only store the final output.
    The other aspect is that you can do stuff that can't be done with shaders or will at least require a shader artist that can actually *write* complex shaders unless you are using a visual shader editor like in the UDK.
    I'd imagine that most companies that use this use it as a means to turn out a lot of textures quickly and then render out flattened version.

We are trying to push its usage as a pure workflow improvement thing right now. The real time generation is just a bonus if your engin supports it.
    This would be a killer addition to a 3D painting app like Mudbox, especially if you could access the highres mesh for inputs like for example, deriving true curvature maps.

You might want to swing by our booth at GDC if you go there or take a look at our website during the first week of March for some "killer addition" to Designer ;)

Ho and BTW, there is a 50% discount on Designer until January 31st
    https://twitter.com/#!/Allegorithmic/status/161762015176695808
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc wrote: »
    The main advantage is that you don't store all these utility maps in video memory, you only store the final output.

Wow really? In the live materials? How does that work, does it stream them in as they are needed and then freeze the final result? is that how you do the unlimited resolution feature?
    The other aspect is that you can do stuff that can't be done with shaders or will at least require a shader artist that can actually *write* complex shaders unless you are using a visual shader editor like in the UDK.

We are trying to push its usage as a pure workflow improvement thing right now. The real time generation is just a bonus if your engin supports it.

Out of curiosity what are some things that you can't do in stock UDK?
    Do you get a more advanced instruction set or higher max instruction count or are you still limited by your Shader model? Is any of the texture generation done on the GPU in the first place?

In the brief time I looked on the site, I couldn't find any mention of vertex painting or landscape material weightmaps, do these features get exposed for the Procedural texture/material as inputs?
    You might want to swing by our booth at GDC if you go there or take a look at our website during the first week of March for some "killer addition" to Designer ;)

Ho and BTW, there is a 50% discount on Designer until January 31st
    https://twitter.com/#!/Allegorithmic/status/161762015176695808

Damn, I wish I was going to GDC, but thanks for the tip! :) I can't wait too see what the killer addition would be.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Wow really? In the live materials? How does that work, does it stream them in as they are needed and then freeze the final result? is that how you do the unlimited resolution feature?

The masks and other noises you might use to create the final output are loaded in cache (ram) just for the time of the calculation (a few miliseconds) then only the final output is sent to the graphic card.
    When you are using a live animated substance most of the texture information is kept in ram and only a small part of the process is recalculated each frame.
    Out of curiosity what are some things that you can't do in stock UDK?
    Do you get a more advanced instruction set or higher max instruction count or are you still limited by your Shader model? Is any of the texture generation done on the GPU in the first place?
    You are not limited in any way, the only limit is the time it will take to generate the textures but there is no "hard" limit. You could theoretically create the same stuff in a shader in UDK but you would need far more instructions and texture samples than you are allowed to by today's hardware.

The generation can be handle by both GPU or CPU (CPU is used most of the time when generating textures at runtime so it does not impact the framerate).
    In the brief time I looked on the site, I couldn't find any mention of vertex painting or landscape material weightmaps, do these features get exposed for the Procedural texture/material as inputs?

Keep in mind that the outputs are still textures, so you can use them on your landscape layers like any other texture. Having vertex color or a weightmap as an input may be a (small) part of the killer addition we are talking about :)
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Hey guys, bumping this thread as Substance Designer (now in version 3.1) is now on Greenlight on Steam !

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=105574022&searchtext

It now features instant map baking, seamless painting and automatic texture creation among other things.
    If you can put a vote for us, it will be greatly appreciated :)
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I'll post the same question I posted in another thread:

I also hope it has some shader specific baking options, like for example, if I could tell it to switch to a Oren-Nayar shader, and tweak/create a map from there, Fresnel Map as well, etc.

Basically create special maps on the fly and see them visually, would that be possible or not?
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I think u can import ur own hlsl shader, not sure,.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yes, you can import your own glsl/hlsl shader and create any type of map you want that fit this shader.
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    the fact that it takes the lowpoly with tangent space normal map and makes a seam-free curvature map from it is just sexy. the other baking options are wicked as well and i could totally see this being used for 95% of the texturing workflow for hard surface and architecturel env work in current or next gen. maybe even 100%, but i will have to mess with it some more to be sure.

will be interesting to see what ddo has to offer compared to this as far as texturing unique assets is concerned - seems very similar in terms of capability.
  • littleclaude