Home General Discussion

Depressed and need some art inspiration

manilamerc
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
manilamerc polycounter lvl 6
Hey everybody I was sculpting so much on this Christian Bale character and some art professional told me to stop sculpting and start studying (anatomy basic forms). I felt like crap and I know this is for the good of me and all but does anybody know a good place to start as an artist? And books or articles I could learn off from? any special advice? All would be much appreciated

Thanks

Replies

• reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    posemaniacs.com isn't a bad source for doing quick studies.
    and the book that was linked in your thread...
    My advice would be to do lots of them - if you're sticking to sculpting than try not to spend way too much time on any one piece. Study a part of the body..a joint, a limb, a region - and move on to the next. Figure it out and block it in on a muscle-by-muscle basis until you feel you know the form of that section and can draw it without reference at the drop of a hat...

speaking of drawing - if you don't do it now, then start. I know it's been a topic of some debate, but it's the fastest and most convenient way to quickly practice form and anatomy. if you can describe it in 2d you can sculpt it in 3d, no problem. and you can always draw wherever you are.

and spend extra time on the face.

do a handful of studies for the next few weeks then go in and do another full body piece..but don't bother with clothes at first methinks...
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Why exactly are you feeling crap for doing something that EVERY CHARACTER ARTIST MUST do?!

That's like saying you want to learn how to drive a car, but don't want to learn the basics of how to drive, or what each color of the lights mean, etc.
    There is no special advice or magic button to make it happen, you get back what you put in, and if don't put in effort and start from the first steps, then there is nothing anyone can do for you.

And it looks like that you're aware of your 'sources' and where to look, but don't want to.

Also, you'll be hearing lots of people (in the workplace) tell you to scrap something and redo it, so if you're already down the gutter for someone telling you so for a 'folio piece, how are you going to manage that when your boss says the same exact thing? You need to have a little bit of a tough skin, or hell, just don't take it personally, remember, the art you make, while still a part of you, can only improve, not be taken back.

Others most likely will have better feedback, but from my side of things, I feel like you just want to start big and think to make your art look 'awesome', and that's not how it works, it never will be.

Here are some baby otters in the mean-time to lull you over:
    525aead0b5715286_otters.jpg
  • FractaL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Get in here, we'll help you with doing some studies. Don't get down over something like this, it's not worth it!

https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/431eb3dad1e570d716f09cceb8ca90cad79ed4c0#

also here: http://lovecastle.org/draw/
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    There are a bit of us that sit in the Polycount Hangout.. It's good for live feedback and could potentially help you or push you to learn/work. :)

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101777 - Last post usually has the most recent hangout link.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just a little self defense here: my advice was to be drawing when you couldn't sculpt. good at drawing or not, it's a fine practice. if you're not good at it and it's more frustrating than practical then sure, skip it. Being as i'm not familiar with your skill level in that area i'll suggest it anyways. the best thing about 2d for a 3d artist is it's ease of access. stick + dirt = able to draw.

actually i took an anatomy class where the teacher stole all of your pencils and made us scrape charcoal onto a piece of paper and do gesture drawing with that and a damp paper towel. another day made us go outside and get a twig to use with ink or black guache...

speaking of anatomy classes: if you're able to draw (or have a tablet and laptop with Zbrush) than find out if there are any figure drawing workshops or get togethers in your area. I know out here there's a couple of groups that meet up in coffee shops and the like once a week...real life reference is infinitely better than books or photos. if you can take a class in a community college or something that's great too.
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    manilamerc polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the support people, I didn't expect long helpful replies. You guys just made my day, now I'm off to become the greatest 3D artist in the world!!
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just don't forget the baby otters.
  • bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agree with TeeJay. I think the main point is: not everyone learns the same way (something the heavies/professionals haven't learned yet, heh). The traditional formula (or so I gather (as an uneducated bum)) is don't start sculpting until you can draw well. That's the first rule I broke and never regretted it. So I have to agree: if you like 3d, learn via 3d. :)
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that sucks to feel that way here is some help!

http://www.anatomytools.com/male-figures-c6.php

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Head-Figure-Perigee-Jack/dp/0399507914/ref=la_B001HMLKYA_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351298326&sr=1-1"]Drawing the Head and Figure (Perigee): Jack Hamm: 9780399507915: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]
    http://www.amazon.com/George-Brant-
    Bridgman/e/B001IGLP90/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_22?qid=1351298471&sr=1-22

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bernini-Sculpture-Baroque-Rudolph-Wittkower/dp/0714837156/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1351298358&sr=1-1&keywords=bernini"]Bernini: The Sculpture of the Roman Baroque: Rudolph Wittkower: 9780714837154: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bernini-Sculpting-Clay-Metropolitan-Museum/dp/0300185006/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1351298369&sr=1-3&keywords=bernini"]Bernini: Sculpting in Clay (Metropolitan Museum of Art): Ian Wardropper,Tony Sigel,C. D. Dickerson III: 9780300185003: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Human-Anatomy-Artists-Elements-Form/dp/0195052064/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1351298383&sr=1-5&keywords=anatomy+for+the+artist"]Human Anatomy for Artists: The Elements of Form: Eliot Goldfinger: 9780195052060: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    what are you working on? 2012/2011/2010/2009/2008/.... as long as needed
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    Man, I'm going through the same thing. Lack of time and a good understanding of anatomy is why I dropped out of the Noob Learning Challenege. BAck when I drew everyday my understanding of anatmy was good,not great. Now after many years of not drawing it sucks. The only thing I can do is keep practicing every day. I'm doing 2D and practice sculpts all the time. I'm getting better but have a long way to go. Take the good crits along with the bad and don't let them would you. You'll get better, and next year you'll be even better.

Also do try the hangouts they help alot.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    The problem a lot of you guys are having is the whole not using reference and not doing studies things. And no, studying doesn't just mean drawing, there are plenty of ways to study. A lot of people these days (including me at one point in time) set their sights pretty high and don't do their fair share of studies before tackling a whole character, especially a full body likeness. That's a pretty big challenge for anybody to get right unless they've been sculpting and drawing for a long time, and even then the only reason why they are able to do them so well is because they have their fair share of crap models, studies, speed sculpts, sketches, etc.

Start small. Go big later. Quality over quantity isn't always true, especially when you can be stuck noodling on something you think is "quality" when in reality there's a lot of things wrong with it. The only way you'll be able to tell whether you're doing something wrong is by STUDYING. If you don't study and you only rely on us for feedback it's going to take you a REALLY DAMN LONG TIME to catch up to people you admire.

For inspiration. Here's one of the first head's I ever sculpted:
    DrWNE.jpg

And here's the kinds of heads I do in the same amount of time after 2-3 years of practice, studying, and a lot of mistakes:

http://imgur.com/a/Y5YPC

Good luck, and don't be a big babby, power through your depressed stages and kick some ass. Also don't get butthurt when people be givin you the real talk, son.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Love TeeJays rant. I have to agree. And some good tips from ceebee.

Finding good reference is very important. As others have said; take the human anatomy in stages. Sculpt an arm for a few nights in a row. Concentrate on parts of the body before moving on. If you don't mind spending a little bit of money I recommend this video: http://www.zackpetroc.com/skeleton-and-muscles-lecture/
    Sculpt and follow it every night for a few weeks and you will feel much more confident. But also post your work in P&P so you can get specific critique.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    You could search Polycount for the other 20 threads on this SAME TOPIC from this month alone, to get ideas.
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    You need to take the advice and understand its probably coming from good intentions. As an artist you'll need to be able to take that constructive criticism.

I'ts no different in AAA game development. We routinely pull up anatomy references, and tweak and change models based on feedback. It's the only way you can improve!
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    the only motivation you should ever need

2_cash_money.ce.jpg

learn the stuff get the paper
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    ^
    I agree with previous poster.

We all get a little bit depressed sometimes doing this stuff. I've been there as well. I wouldn't really say that you need to stop sculpting, sculpting is practice as well. Just have a good anatomy book beside you when doing it. Especially the ones that let you see the muscle-structure properly, it'll help you in your sculpting.

You'd end up in the same situations in AAA-development, people saying that you need to change this or that, scrap whole characters or levels. It'll just be a phase if you stick through it, taking crits will always be hard and the better you become the bigger expectations will be for your work, stressing you to keep producing quality work and keep questioning if you're going in the right direction.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    I'm going with this.

motivation.jpg
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    I love you polycount.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going with this.

motivation.jpg

saved.
  • Shiskebab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiskebab polycounter lvl 16
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Figure-Drawing-Invention-Michael-Hampton/dp/0615272819"]Figure Drawing: Design and Invention: Michael Hampton: 9780615272818: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]
    this is a nice book for starting learning anatomy
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    manilamerc wrote: »
    Hey everybody I was sculpting so much on this Christian Bale character and some art professional told me to stop sculpting and start studying (anatomy basic forms). I felt like crap and I know this is for the good of me and all but does anybody know a good place to start as an artist? And books or articles I could learn off from? any special advice? All would be much appreciated

Thanks

If you want to sculpt and that some professional artist told you to study anatomy. Start sculpting the anatomy.

This is how I am learning the anatomy, I draw them or sculpt them.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    motivation.jpg

This needs adding to the bottom:

"See them driven before you, And hear the lamentation of their women!"
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    Forgot the best advice. Get a motorcyle and ride like there's no tomorrow.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107918
  • ironbelly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
    outside of studying for your craft I also find it to be very very helpful to surround yourself by general inspiration with what you listen to and what you watch in your downtime. Personally shows like Battlestar Galactica where the plot is all about a group of people overcoming INSANE odds helps to keep me going. End of the world type stuff with people acting stoic and not giving up. Same goes for hte music you listen to, should be uplifting and trance like in my opinion, be it classical music or electronica. It's as important as what you are studying because if yuo don't feel like you have it in yuo to study then all the tutorials in the world aren't going to make a difference. Something I did many years ago that I attribute greatly to my and my company's success is to meticulously go through every area of my life and look at all of the things, all of the thoughts, all of the activities and all of the people in each area that weren't inspiring me, that weren't lifting me up and that we're helping me to be a better person and I cut them them out, full stop. It's a pruning process that may take months or years but in the end you are unstoppable
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    People are confusing "Inspiration" with "Motivation"

The two are not the same.
  • bejkon
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 wrote: »
    the only motivation you should ever need