Home General Discussion

Motorcycles/Scooters, who here rides? Post a pic of your ride

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
I've got a 90 FZR600 and a 1972 CB500
46492_148200111867944_188263_n.jpg
183445_194399580581330_1607791_n.jpg
I love to ride them both at speeds I reallly shouldn't be riding. Massively theraputic though.I always end up with a big smile on my face.

Replies

• Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe, CB500 looks beautiful, drop down handlebars a bit and make a it a cafe racer!

I got into motorcycling this year, best decision I've ever made. Very therapeutic indeed.

This is mein gs500e, planning to hop on a bit bigger/meaner bike next season :)

benzini.jpg
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OOOOOO! I love the GS500, especially when modded a bit like this one.
    146_0110_02zoom+gsx_r750+front_right.jpg
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeeJay the right gear makes all the difference in the wet and cold. I commuted every 25 miles in the rain every night all year round when I lived in the Seattle area.

Sandro, I've got 2 CB550 parts bikes waiting to be cafe'd.
    I want to make something like this
    cb550_paulages.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1270551295719
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    She's a year old & just hit 12,000km
    U4hLV.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    2011%5C09%5C28%5Cbikepics-2279188-800.jpg

2009 KTM 690 Duke.
    Best bike i've had so far, fun even while going slow.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dave
    Sounds like cool project. Cafe racers have very badass and troublemaker kind of vibe :) I prefer ones without fairing though.

Wish I had a little garage or workshop space, would love to give modding a shot.

@Stephen
    She's a beauty. Cool scenery too, would love to ride there

@Xoliul
    Is that exhaust blowing fumes directly to rear wheel? :O
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    TeeJay wrote: »
    Love bikes, can't ride one. Here in the UK you have to take 3 tests (inc. theory) and most learner schools charge extortionate money, it would probably cost more to learn to ride than it would to buy a bike.

With the weather here, I'd probably get about 2 days to ride in a year so I can't justify the cost! I'll stick to 4 wheels for now. I did have a 125 on learner plates and did my introductory tests but wussed out after a few weeks due to the cold/rain.

I'm a big fan of bikes like the Street/Speed Triple, CB1000R and Ducati Monster. On a slightly more controversial note, I love Harley's too. Something about the obnoxious noise they make.

If your over 21, then have you looked into the Direct Access Scheme? Does away with a lot hassle and is more intense/compacted training.

Love the Triumph bikes, especially the Street/Speed/675/675R
  • St.Sabath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St.Sabath polycounter lvl 11
    here are my beauties..^^

ZX6R 2009 6700 km,Monster Black Edition,stripped all the decals though cause i hate them lol,comes with full Ohlins suspension/steering damper,fully original on the pic,though i changed the can for a Termignoni ^^

ZX-6R.jpg

And my trustworthy mudbasher:
    Yamaha WRF250 R 2003 (weekend basher in the Peaks(UK) and H&H events)

WR.jpg
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    terrible camera phone shot.
    its my 2012 triumph street triple R.
    first motorcycle i've ever owned - and its amazing!!
    553827_2582088171685_112807151_n.jpg
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    I used to have a ninja 250, a 650 and finally a zx6r

07.jpg
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice rawkstar
    Can't wait to start track days, next season!
  • Tim270
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim270 polycounter lvl 6
    Anyone riding in the Uk, roughly how much are you paying insurance for your bikes?
  • OtrickP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 9
    Started riding last summer, it's too cold now here in Canada. Any other Toronto riders?

2011Ninja 250 with some minor cosmetics
    527914_10150940097448853_101680879_n.jpg305663_10150841241773853_1196199223_n.jpg
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BWAAAA...I wanna do track days. I'll go sulk and push polies or sync my carbs :(

I wish some of you guys lived around here. It would be fun to ride with polycounters.

BTW awsome bikes guys and great photo rawkstar, get that knee dragging!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim270 wrote: »
    Anyone riding in the Uk, roughly how much are you paying insurance for your bikes?

I paid about 800 comprehensive last year, but decided to switch to TPFT for half of that amount this year. I don't have many options in insurance company because I've only been here for a year. I do have 7 years of experience + 4 years no claim, which reduces the price.

Sandro: It splits at the end, two openings point away from the wheel.
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    I've got an 08 SV650. I bought it in 2008 with 2 miles. First brand new transport I've ever had. This winter I'd like to get a gsxr front end on it. I've got a custom machined triple waiting that will let me keep the dirt bars. :D

svBack.jpg
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone here ever had the urge to model their bike or is it just me?
    Cammandor, that is one beautiful SV. I've always wanted one of those.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not my bike in particular, but I have wanted a 3dprint out of some of the model'd vehicles people have created here.
    I can imagine a day when you'll be able to build your own chasis in any given 3d package, and have it sent to the printers to fire off a life size piece.
  • Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbarian polycounter lvl 12
    I'm on my 8th Harley. Have a Road King and a Fatboy. I hit Sturgis and other rallies every year. Pipes are loud but sound good and I live in a helmet-choice state. I wave to all passing bikers (don't care what they ride). Have a jacket coated with bugs and chips that never gets washed (earned every one of those splats and dings).
  • St.Sabath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbarian wrote: »
    I'm on my 8th Harley. Have a Road King and a Fatboy. I hit Sturgis and other rallies every year. Pipes are loud but sound good and I live in a helmet-choice state. I wave to all passing bikers (don't care what they ride). Have a jacket coated with bugs and chips that never gets washed (earned every one of those splats and dings).

HEHE Loud pipes,saves lives!

biker.jpg

@Xoliul: whereabouts in the UK are you m8? i moved to the UK about 2 years ago,im in the Cheshire East/Manchester area
  • Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! If you keep your mouth closed your teeth stay clean. I don't mind wearing bugs but I don't like to eat them.

I would add that there were two occasions were loud revving did save me from a potential accident. Both cases were people on cell phones not paying attention in traffic and the revving got their attention real quick. The little "beeps" on bikes don't cut it.

It gets more dangerous to ride every year it seems because of all the distractions (stereos, cell phones (including idiots that text and drive), eating while driving, watching babies in the back while driving, videos while driving, and combinations of the above).
  • Grumpntug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grumpntug polycounter lvl 11
    All you guys and your sport bikes. I'm re-building the breaks on it currently but I'm rocking an 81 Honda CX500 D

UgYvc.jpg
  • St.Sabath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! If you keep your mouth closed your teeth stay clean. I don't mind wearing bugs but I don't like to eat them.

I would add that there were two occasions were loud revving did save me from a potential accident. Both cases were people on cell phones not paying attention in traffic and the revving got their attention real quick. The little "beeps" on bikes don't cut it.

It gets more dangerous to ride every year it seems because of all the distractions (stereos, cell phones (including idiots that text and drive), eating while driving, watching babies in the back while driving, videos while driving, and combinations of the above).

Very true indeed!
    I always base all of my descisions on the fact that they wont see you,safety first...i lost one of my best mates already a couple of years ago,since then i really calmed down quite a bit whilst driving my bikes(except offroad ofc...BRAAAAPPP!!!) :poly124::poly124:
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No offence, but talking about the merits of loud exhausts and how they save your life, I fail to see why you would not wear a helmet (I take it you don't, from mentioning a helmet-choice state). It's completely, utterly pointless to not wear one.
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My helmet saved my life already.
    70 MPH high side in a corner. My helmet hit the ground many times during that wreck. \
    Helmet was trashed but my head was OK. BIke was so-so.

Grumpntug, your bike is new fangled compared to my CB500 and 550
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Aw yeah for the ninja 250 love. :)
    I've been riding for almost a year, and I'm looking for a bigger bike, but this little 250 still has more than I do through the corners. :D

467879_200675573370322_768375098_o.jpg
  • Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul:

I have a helmet and choose when to wear it. I don't wear it sometimes (especially on scenic routes in our area with low traffic). If I have to be in city traffic or heavier interstate traffic, or on a longer trip with chances of weather changing (helps limit wind noise), I wear it. I mentioned it because I believe bikers should have choice. I am a member of ABATE (biker rights group). I've been through the AMA beginning, intermediate, and advanced riding courses, and was past road captain and Director of my local Harley Owners Group. I always stressed safety, but most of us in our (and neighboring states) believe that bikers should have choice.
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well Barbarian the only thing I can say is that old adage.
    There are two types of bikers. Those who have wrecked and those who will wreck.

I hope that those who haven't yet will have their helmets on when they do.
    I don't preach it one way or the other, it's a choice like you said.

OK, more bikes people, post more pics. You guys have some awesome rides.

BTW bad news on my CB, valve guide seal is dead and cylider 1 is soaked in oil.
    Blech :P more engine work.
  • Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave:

Glad you agree with choice. I am willing to bet (large sum) that I have twenty to thirty riding miles minimum for every mile of the the person posting here than has ridden the most miles. Let's all post when we got our motorcycle license and how many miles we've ridden average per year. I'm quite familiar with the Motorcycle Safety Foundation statistics also. Newer riders (less than five years ) occupy a much higher percentage of the statistics. Riders that did not take the AMA course occupy a higher percentage. In single rider accidents, rider error was at least 66% of the cause. Those that were drinking occupy a much higher percentage. The failure of motorists to detect motorcycles is the predominating cause of accidents (see my above post about stereos, cell phones, eating, etc.). Bikers with a lot of experience, on a cruiser, that have taken AMA safety courses (and update their education) occupy a much, much smaller proportion of the statistics. Also, I live in an area that fortunately has fewer bad accidents. My "old saying is" that "I go to church every time I get on my bike cause I'm praying to make it back safe." Experience teaches you to spot trouble and trouble locations. When I was helping with safety training we used to take a rider in a car (as rider) and drive ten miles--having them record any danger signs (obstacle on road, motorist, etc.) An experienced rider in the back did the same. We knew that the person was in danger when they recorded few problems. We would then share this information at meetings. Alas, there are no guarantees as you note.

Everybody ride safe (and wear that helmet if you choose to do so). You'll never hear me say some wisecrack to a rider wearing a helmet (nor anything about their ride).
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (see my above post about stereos, cell phones, eating, etc.).

Honestly this is a huge argument for wearing a helmet. No matter how educated, experienced or qualified to ride a bike you are without a helmet you simply can't plan for the unexpected.

As someone who drives a car, even without distractions it can sometimes be very difficult to see bikers, especially bikers driving erratically or weaving through traffic, worse yet idiots who drive between cars during traffic jams.

Yeah, I just don't see any reason for it to be a choice. Wearing seat belts shouldn't be a choice either. Its just dumb as hell not to and has nothing to do with your ability as a biker, but everything to do with how fragile human beings are when they crash into cars, hit the pavement at 70mph, etc.

Sorry, I don't mean to derail this further but its a bit personal for me. I lost a family member a couple years back and he wasn't wearing a helmet, not to say that decided his fate, but you can't help but wonder.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    worse yet idiots who drive between cars during traffic jams.

This is a large misunderstanding for non-motorcycle riders who think this is unsafe. It usually ends up more safe for the motorcyclist as long as they aren't going more than 15mph faster than the stopped/slowed traffic.

My biggest concern isn't a car sideswiping me or pulling out in front of me (I don't haul ass all the time) but it's a 2000+ lb vehicle hitting me from behind. Fender benders happen all the time with people talking on phones, texting, or just not seeing a stopped vehicle. But if I were to receive a 'fender bender' on my bike, I'd probably be in really bad shape, I've heard of broken backs and paralysis from a biker being rear-ended at a stoplight. A friend of mine just had a bad fender bender and he was in an SUV. The person hit him doing 30+ mph and I imagine he'd be dead or mangled if he was on a bike.

Anyways, it's legal here in California to lane split and I feel much safer having my own area to drive without a truck riding right on my ass and a stopped car a ways in front of me.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shrew81 wrote: »

Anyways, it's legal here in California to lane split

Source?
    Bills to legalize lane splitting have been introduced in state legislatures around the US over the last twenty years but so far none have been enacted.
    California is not the only state for which there is no traffic law that explicitly prohibits lane splitting,[37][39][62][63] but officials rely on other laws to regularly interpret lane splitting as unlawful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_splitting#Legal_status

I'm not an expert on the law but that seems a bit iffy at best.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

On the official California Highway Patrol site:
    Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?
    Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner

It's definately legal, haha. The test for the license goes into depths as to when you can do it, but I've seen many riders, including police officers on motorcycles, lane splitting at 50-60 mph, though I don't.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Before people start lane splitting, check your regional laws.
    It's not legal in B.C, Canada. Nor was it legal anywhere in Canada in 2009.-This may have changed.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it's a bit shaky in places. In Texas it was legal for what, 6 months? I wasn't riding back then, but I remember people complaining when they reverted the law.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's the point of buying a bike if you are planning to sit in 40 minute traffic jams?
  • St.Sabath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok....this thread is going off topic now.
    The discussion whether certain laws in certain countries/states are good/bad is not why this thread is started..
    The position of the motorcyclist in traffic has been the source of similar discussions for decades worldwide.You can agree or disagree with certain things,though the general motorcyclist just rides his bike because it is one of his passions,and he/she loves doing it.
    Personally,after racing in the national speedway series,and roadracing series for over 10 years,i think every motorcyclist in the world would benefit of following additional courses in addition to his driving licence.This benefits the perception of you as a motorcyclist in general,and also hones your skills what to do in situations that come unexpectedly.
    Now,lets get this thread on track again by posting the pics and specs of some of the bikes you guys/galls ride...
  • NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    Back to track:
    My 2012 YZF R125, I will upgrade to an r6 next summer. I've passed my driving test yesterday, so I'm not restricted to 125ccm anymore :)
    bikeh.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'll just keep quiet on helmet-choice, I have nothing nice to say about it :/

It is good to see however that a lot of people here are taking a sensible first bike and working up to heavier models. In Belgium I see a lot of beginning bikers who think it's good to start with something like an R6 and that it just takes some self-control... Then they trash their bike after a few months. It's such a silly mentality really.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah those new 125ers look sexy as hell (yzf 125, aprilia rs and duke 125) Their resale value seems good as well and I bet they are fun to ride and throw around because of their little weight :P I'd keep one around for city commuting & everyday fun even if I had 600cc sportbike waiting in garage.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Goddamn, that Triumph is my dream bike
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s'more pics
    ZB0P4.jpg
    Cbr250ra (left), VFR (right)
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VFR!!! 8)

I used to have it's anscetor the 1984 VF700 Interceptor.
    Can't find a pic of my old VF so here's a substitute.
    Screen-Shot-2012-05-23-at-5.29.29-PM.jpg
    In that same style also not a pic of my GSX550 but I did own one of these in the past. Yeah, I've been riding for awhile.
    suzuki-gsx-550-eu-06.jpg
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice Interceptor!
    My first bike and first crash was on a 50cc dirt bike. Think I was 6 years old? -I'll look for a pic to add to this post

Edit:
    hmm no luck so far, but here's what I remember it looking like
    v7pU7.jpg
    I'll never forget the accident I had. With it being my first and all.
    I was playing around on an obstacle course my cousins made in the forest, down in Montana. I jumped over a small dirt mound that shot out on a gravel drive way, lost it on the landing, and had the bike lay up on my leg .. searing a nice piece of flesh off my inner calf.
    For some reason or other, my best/fav memories from my childhood involves me doing something reckless or getting hurt in some way.