Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Roadblock

M.Petersen
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
M.Petersen polycounter lvl 6
Started on this after watching the Eat3D Old pillar tutorial.

24ce78z.jpg

Replies

• M.Petersen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kinda finished this model by now. so I decided to update this post!

Workorder:
    -Highpoly in Zbrush
    -Retopology in Topogun
    -Unwrapped in 3ds Max
    -Highpoly to Lowpoly baking in 3ds Max
    -Photoshop for textures
    -Realtime render in Marmoset Toolbag

Zbrush:
    xangoh.jpg

3ds Max lowpoly:
    ulb1x.jpg

Marmoset realtime Render:
    11j7z9s.jpg

Textures:
    Diffuse:
    9a48cp.jpg

Normal map:
    1sbmfr.jpg

Spec:
    2wpp2qf.jpg

This is my first lowpoly model and first time using Zbrush, Topogun and doing the texture with an unwrap in Photoshop so feedback is very welcome.
  • nedwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not bad. I think the texture seem too clean for a damaged concrete barricade, especially the damaged parts. adding dirt and water stain would be nice. rebars on the top right seem a little too big. I think there is something wrong when you baked the AO. The bottom part is completely black. Keep going. I really like your zbrush.
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fozwroth polycounter lvl 9
    looks nice. as been said, more weathering and tear where the damage is, and maybe a little bit more overall dirt and color variation.

I think your normal map has to much gradients on it, the larger surfaces especially. Correct me if Im wrong here but I actually think it is a little bit un-optimized to have those kind of gradients spanning over a large surfaces since it has to calculate that gradient. By adding a hard edge where the UV seams are of those surfaces you will probably get a better, cleaner result. just remember to let the padding bleed over a little so you avoid seams.

Like the Zbrush work. quite solid work.
  • M.Petersen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback!

yeah the normal map doesnt seem to be right. it is a bit curvy on the flat sides, so I guess I did something wrong with the baking.

and I baked it on top of a cube that's why the bottom part is completely black.

I changed the diffuse by adding some leaking stains and I made the damaged parts a bit darker. already looking more detailed!

mjodxv.jpg

qzm45l.jpg
  • nick2730
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Why is part of your texture completely black? it won't look okay if you wanted to rotate the mesh to see the bottom. If the prop is never going to be view from below you can either delete those faces, or scale down that part of the UVs, its a waste of space otherwise.

Also the lighting on the rebar is too dark is some areas, it'd look weird if it was lit from below (think night scene or road flair), let the real time lighting do its job.
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fozwroth polycounter lvl 9
    looks alot more interesting now! :) I think the rebars should maybe go towards a more brown-rust-ish slightly darker color.

would actually maybe look into making that specmap into a RGB texture instead of grayscale since marmoset supports it and you can achieve a little more umph in the materials. a little more contrast and some slight more spec noise on the concrete perhaps. but it might be a bit overboard for a prop like this one :)

looks cool! :)
  • M.Petersen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks!

Made the rust some darker, also added rust stains on the concrete and the conrete is more grayish so it looks more like concrete.

20060c6.jpg