Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[critique] canyon rock modelling

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
toolpaddz polycounter lvl 10
Hey polycounters,

I've been posting here and there for a while now and thought it would be time to have a proper workflow and critics thread myself. I will also use this thread for posting my further workflow.

I'm a game arts student in Berlin, currently in my 5th semester (of seven). I have just started a new group project, a coop action hack & slay settled in a desert/canyon/oasis setting, roughly based on the Mad Max series, in which I will be responsible for the environment art pipeline.

As far as the levels are concerned we are currently in the blockout phase, so I thought I'd throw you some rough canyon rock sculpts I made. As for now, they will only be decimated and used to block out the levels' rock formations. So as for now they are just detailed enough to give me a hint of how the highpoly should look like. A detail pass on the sculpt is to follow later when the level designers give me the OK that everything works fine.

The style is inspired by Uncharted 3 as well as some odd and interesting looking rock formations from real life, but as the game itself will not be a realistic one, please don't mind that you probably wouldn't see these rocks as is anywhere in your surroundings :poly124:

So if you have any concerns regarding the silhouettes and overall shapes and volumes, please shoot me everything you've got! Please also note that the rocks are heavily layed out for modularity, so I tried to make them stand out as less as possible. Where can I improve?

rock01.jpg

rock02.jpg

rock03b.jpg

rock04.jpgrock04.jpg

rock04.jpg

Replies