Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monsterology - Ology

Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster (please be gentle :)). I'd like to share with you guys some work I did for an app called Monsterology.

gorgon_capture_zps2ae3b8c1.jpg
gorgon_construction_zps76e58145.jpg
sea_serpent_capture1_10_16_2012_zpsd04b2f0e.jpg
sea_serpent_capture2_10_16_2012_zps5f4d0f4c.jpg
sea_serpent_construction_zps65f6cc52.jpg
unicorn_capture_zpsf13cb03b.jpg
unicorn_construction_zps0f79ef64.jpg
golden_chimera_capture_zps16fe5477.jpg
Hippocamp_captures_zpsc69e3b87.jpg

All the renders were captured in Marmoset.

The game is available now on iTunes / App Store for iPad and iPhone as a free download. The game was originally developed by Other Ocean Interactive but was completed by Sabertooth Interactive. Monsterology is a 3D turn-based strategy game based on the New York Times bestselling "Ology" series. It is the first game on iOS that incorporates physical trading cards into the gameplay. You can summon monsters and items by tapping the card onto your iOS devices.

My main responsibilities were to model and texture the creatures in the game as well as some additional props. My other responsibilities were to set a visual target for the monsters and develop the look for the corrupted (dark), the king and the rare monsters. The models were done in Maya and all the textures were hand-painted using Photoshop CS3 and ZAppLink (ZBrush). All the monsters are around 800-900 tris. Originally we're aiming for higher res with 5000 tris polycount and 512x512 diffuse, normal and specular map but we dropped that idea because of the performance hit on the original iPad.

Screenshots:

ios-nukotoys-monsterology.jpgmonday-roundup-07232012-monsterology.jpg
ipad_capture_zpscd76d936.jpg

More to come

Replies