Home General Discussion

Another SSD thread

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/240gb-ocz-revodrive-3-mlc-flash-x4-full-height-pcie-ssd-read-1000mb-s-write-900mb-s-130k-iops

thinking about getting one of these. i currently have a 120gb SSD, but i'm finding i want a bit more space (so double is nice).

my only real question is whether anyone has had any experience, good or bad, with pci-e SSD's over SATA?

Replies

• Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    I recently purchased one of these: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/256gb-samsung-840-pro-series-basic-25-ssd-3-core-mdx-21nm-toggle-nand-read-540mb-s-write-520mb-s-100

Can't praise it enough.

On the PCI-E side of things, I don't really see a huge benefit since I thought the bandwidth of SATA 3 had yet to be exceeded.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I've had a shit ton of problems with my SSDs. I bought 2. a 60gig and a 120gig. 60 for my OS, 120 for my games and stuff (faster load times). But, I constantly had blue screens and memory dumps. and i found i needed more mem for my games, so i just swapped the 120 to be the OS, and picked up a 2gig HDD for my games. I think it took 4 tries of reinstalling everything, and setting it all up before i stopped having problems with it. but pretty sure the 60gig was fucked.
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, I had similar problems using a 120g for the os myself. I got to keep quite a bit of free space for it to run well. Never had any problems with bluescreens or the like, but Zbrush simply wouldn't start up as it ran out of memory :x

That being said though, apart from that issue it's ace! Runs a lot faster and smoother.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I've got them as SATA's. I wasn't sure on weather or not to go PCIe for them too, but for me it came down to 1 thing, future-proof. And by that, not really being future proof, just having a longer shelf life.
    I likened the SATA drive to an IDE drive, and the PCI-e to ISA(before AGP & PCI stuff)
    So, AGP & ISA stuff is looong gone, and I've only not come across much in the way of IDE support on motherboards lately. So, I imagine that SATA3/4/5/6/etc will be around (and backwards compatible) longer than PCI-e will. in 5 years, something new might be out that replaces all usage of PCI-e slots. I figure SATA would be around 5 years longer than PCI-e might.

Just my opinion, though.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I agree with Xenobond, also it is a little more involved installing windows with having to provide a driver so the installer sees the drive, and you lose the flexibility of being able to throw the ssd into a laptop or other device if you upgrade in the future.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Xenobond wrote: »
    I've got them as SATA's. I wasn't sure on weather or not to go PCIe for them too, but for me it came down to 1 thing, future-proof. And by that, not really being future proof, just having a longer shelf life.
    I likened the SATA drive to an IDE drive, and the PCI-e to ISA(before AGP & PCI stuff)
    So, AGP & ISA stuff is looong gone, and I've only not come across much in the way of IDE support on motherboards lately. So, I imagine that SATA3/4/5/6/etc will be around (and backwards compatible) longer than PCI-e will. in 5 years, something new might be out that replaces all usage of PCI-e slots. I figure SATA would be around 5 years longer than PCI-e might.

Just my opinion, though.

that was my biggest worry too. glad i'm not the only one!

and i doubt i'd see a noticeable increase in performance to the SSD i already have, so i guess i should just look for higher capacity.

cheers guys!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Hmm, I had similar problems using a 120g for the os myself. I got to keep quite a bit of free space for it to run well. Never had any problems with bluescreens or the like, but Zbrush simply wouldn't start up as it ran out of memory :x

That being said though, apart from that issue it's ace! Runs a lot faster and smoother.

SSDs dont slow down the more you put on them... unless you have a very old SSD that is. Personally I avoid OCZ like the plague. I know they changed up after all those failures they had but Im still not buying from them.

My 256gb is already full. By the time you have windows on there, youre down to 200gb. Windows only reads it as 238 anyway cause of their opinion on how many megs are in a gig. But even then, on a completely fresh system, my drive was at 200gb once Id installed just windows. Now Blender and my steam library took care of the rest heh.
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, there's me not reading the thread properly. I got it hooked up by Sata too, I should mention.

And as you say Andreas, it won't run slower, nop, but it won't have enough space to allocate for certain tasks it seems. Not sure why it just wouldn't use the ram, but nvm.

And damnit... wish I heard about the troubles with OCZ before I got mine. >_>
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    If you looking for a really good SSD, I bought 2 of these, 1 for workstation, 1 for laptop. SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147164&name=Internal-SSD

windows, 3dsmax, photoshop boot very quick :)