Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Diablo 3 Inspired Monk Baker's Cart

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
mxlplxn polycounter lvl 8
Howdy Polycount!

So for one of my classes this semester i'm making a cart inspired by D3.
Here's the progress so far, ill have some updates for yall soon!

Ap3Lj.jpg

Replies

• Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Awesome silhouettes so far, Some of the scale feels a little weird because of the of a few things. It'd have to be a pretty big ass horse to pull that cart, I dunno - maybe it's just me.
  • V3ryFl1gh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, Gannon, it could be pulled by a few dozen oxen or so, possibly? lol
    I really like the over all vibe that scene has set thus far.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah that cart is massive?! Looks more like a house! Agreed, the silhouettes look awesome though!
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    I also thought it was a house at first, but it looks great.
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Looks good! Is their motto "Go big or go home"? :D
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    For reference, the other Artisan's carts in D3 are quite big too:

artisan-jeweler-wagon1-4.jpg
    diablo_3_blacksmith_wagon_upgrade4.jpg
  • mxlplxn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Gannon: Yea im thinking a team of horses, or just make a bunch of monks in training pull it.

& Daaark, SaferDan, V3ryFl1gh : yea, going big, lots of bakers live in here, and possibly their cart pulling servants haha

@Spudnik: thanks for the backup :)

I'm packing this bad boy right now, gonna post up some texture progress tonight.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Oh wow! That they are! I apologise! Looking forward to textures!
  • DarkStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From what i can see from the reference, the cart in those are small and they seem to open up to make the salling space bigger!

Anyway Keep up the good work!!!
  • mxlplxn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick update with some colors being tested and some shape exploration in my texture, got this on one 2048, hoping to crush it down to a 1024 or 512 when its done, making another sheet for the additional props like barrels and buckets later :)

Heavily WIP, but if you see any glaring problems, please feel free to berate me over them, there are a few sections where i'm still tweaking the unwrap, so if it looks really really odd, it's probably being changed.

d05kh.jpg
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 17
    one of the things i really liked about the model that was lost in the paintover is the canopy had this rising dough feel to it. for me that is what sold it as a baker's cart and it went away with all of the gold. try switching the cloth to all "white" and see how it looks.

the designs on the wheels seem rather arbitrary. could those be rethought into something that will hint at him (or her) being a baker?

last, when you get to kind of a "dirt" pass, a lot of flour residue would be awesome. like someone on jackass antiqued it.

awesome stuff man, not as awesome as your character stuff, but...you know, its cool i guess
  • mxlplxn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @richkid: Thanks man! yea, I'm trying to push more of the monk feel from Diablo so i used the shapes and colors in there armor to rebuild the canopy. and the design on the wheels is there symbol in all the concept art. I do like the idea of the rising dough still, so i'll try to reincorporate it :)

definitely getting some flour spill on this, and snow too(its in the cold northern areas near Ivgorod

D3 Concept art ref:
    artwork-0090-large.jpg

lol thanks man :)
  • mxlplxn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Oh wow, the canopy cloth looks a lot better, more like stretchy dough! nice work xD I dunno if that white stuff looks like flour though, more like cleanly piled snow, especially the way the drippies are sharp and stuff . . . it needs a more dusty, thin, powdery-coating kinda feel. Like . . . speckly. Haha, hard to describe, I hope you get it - also maybe don't make it so white. Cool stuff so far :D

EDIT: Woops, my bad, just saw you were planning to add snow - guess you nailed it then xD