Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Generic Female Anatomy Study

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
I have put about 20 hours into this study over the last week, and I feel like I'm hitting a wall. I would greatly appreciate critique. Please, don't hold back.

I am aiming for a healthy build with realistic proportions.

Some specific areas that I think are giving me the most difficulty are the shoulder/upper arm, overall form of the rib cage, and the rhythms of form throughout the pelvis, waist, and ribs.

j8dp4.jpg
axsLD.jpg

Replies

• Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    It looks like she has no bones. Like you're not considering skeletal anatomy. Since you mentioned the ribcage, why not model out a ribcage and actually put it inside the mesh? It's a great way to see how the underlying shapes of the bones affect the surface shapes of the figure.
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah, that hurts. I was specifically thinking about skeletal land marks when sculpting, I guess that was not enough. I took your advice and it quickly highlighted trouble areas with the sculpt, so I'm going to go even further and sculpt the entire skeleton.

Updates soon.
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    I dunno, I'd say a lot of bony landmarks are present and accounted for. Except for the scapula, I guess - you have a lot of muscle definition on the back, which is odd since the rest of her isn't that muscly.
    I'd actually say this looks like a pretty believable sculpt of a person. Not a GENERIC person, or an idealized person. But a real person.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Bigjohn, are we looking at the same picture here? A quick overlay of people images from Google, as well skeletal reference, shows that while the model does look 'abit out of proportion', especially around the arms and hips weight ratio area, it's not exactly 'lacking' the bones aspect.

Maybe highlight the image to show what you mean?
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    dirigible wrote: »
    Not a GENERIC person, or an idealized person. But a real person.

yea, i wouldn't say the sculpt looks like its ignoring skeletal anatomy.

it might not look like the idea "cg girl" that you see most artists modeling, it does look like a more natural or real person.

you nailed lot of the broad landmarks that most people miss.

since this looks like it is an early stage, only thing i can comment on right now is the shape of the neck and the shoulders. its hard to clarify without a paintover. the neck looks a bit too squashed around the base, and the collar bone looks a bit too much curved than the average person, but its not impossible.
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible:

I agree that I need to study the scapula more thoroughly. I am familiar with all of its origins and insertions, but am fuzzy on the specifics of its planes and surface changes.

Ace-Angel:

Could you be a little more specific about the proportion issues with the arms and hips?

MM:

Would you suggest moving the clavicle further from the center? I was having difficulty with its curvature. Should there be more volume between the clavicle and scapula? From the front view, it appears straight, but I wasn't sure weather it should be angled up or down, so I just left it horizontal.

It is reassuring to hear that I am hitting the major landmarks, but I still think there is some truth to Bigjohn's criticism. With that in mind I am going to continue a more in depth study of the skeleton. I have blocked in a rib cage and pelvis, and am moving on to the clavicle and scapula. I'd like to have the entire skeleton blocked in over the next couple of days and plan on building the major muscle groups on top. Hopefully it will become a useful resource for future projects.

VbhIU.jpg
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:

aZ2BN.jpg
    WaRhe.jpg

I could use some advice on the trapezius/neck area. Having a lot of trouble getting that volume to look correct as it inserts into the skull. Maybe the cranium and spine are not positioned correctly. I don't know, but I feel like I've measured everything a thousand times.

The proportions certainly don't appear very feminine at this point. As far as skeletal proportions go, I attempted to make the pelvis wider and the thorax narrower. The angle of the costal cartilage is more acute. The clavicle tilts downward as it approaches the acromion of the scapula, and the ulna is angled about 15 degrees from the humerus. Hopefully as I block in the upper leg muscles and begin to add fat pads the overall form will approach a more feminine attitude.

Does anyone have any good reference specifically for skeletal differences between males and females?

Any other advice or critiques are always welcome.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    i dont see much to comment on the skeleton.

but i think the real issue is the model's posture. right now it looks like she is pulling her arms back which is causing the clavicle and entire shoulder area to push back a little and also making it look like her chest and ribcage is pushing forward. the spinal curve also seems a bit too much. if you rotate the arms forward a bit and reduce the curves a bit i think it will look more balanced and natural.

if you want to make her look more feminine is a generic manner then you could make her shoulder less wide.

also, the back of the head seems too big or bulging out too much.
  • AlphaMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Google these words if you don't know what they are.

Here are just a few anatomical structures missing.
    Regardless if the person is hefty, skinny, or muscular you can see there body/bony land marks. I'm using anatomical terms because when you search them you will know specifically which region I am talking about. (sorry you have to google)

1) Iliotibial band/tact
    2) Lateral Malleolus
    3) Look at the relationship between the lateral and medial gastrocnemius heads. They have a different shape and length that gives the leg it's form.
    4) Soleus
    5) There are 2 fossa's behind the calcaneal tendon, add them.
    6) The cuneiform. This bony land mark makes or breaks the natural look of the foot. Actually the whole foot looks deflated and I suggest you study it closely...
    7) The deltoid is very robust in the front but is absent in the back.
    8) Add a little bit of gluteial fold.
    9) Brow line is too low its very masculine.
    10) Posterior median furrow is too long.
    11) Brachioradialis is not very well defined, this is the key muscle in creating a believable elbow. :/
    12) Add breast fold, even a b-cup has those.
    13) Skull shape, the peak(highest point) is too extreme.
    14) That butt crack is like stitched shut atm.
  • AlphaMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:

aZ2BN.jpg
    WaRhe.jpg

I could use some advice on the trapezius/neck area. Having a lot of trouble getting that volume to look correct as it inserts into the skull. Maybe the cranium and spine are not positioned correctly. I don't know, but I feel like I've measured everything a thousand times.

The proportions certainly don't appear very feminine at this point. As far as skeletal proportions go, I attempted to make the pelvis wider and the thorax narrower. The angle of the costal cartilage is more acute. The clavicle tilts downward as it approaches the acromion of the scapula, and the ulna is angled about 15 degrees from the humerus. Hopefully as I block in the upper leg muscles and begin to add fat pads the overall form will approach a more feminine attitude.

Does anyone have any good reference specifically for skeletal differences between males and females?

Any other advice or critiques are always welcome.

This is because your trapezius, deltoid and latissimus dorsi are too robust. You want this. To see the scapula and the curve of the spine.

298x232-back_action.jpg

But your making this... beefy trap and angular deltoid.

female-muscle-gain-300x281.jpg

And here you can see the volume issue with the base of the skull, its too high.

The spine especially the thoratic portion... its flat she lost her 's' curve.

[IMG][/img]KaQpn.jpg

If you want to find that balance between femanin and muscular pick a celebrity like cameron diaz. There is an abundance of references-es of them.

cameron-diaz-jimmy-kimmel-live-flex.jpg
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its been way too long since my last update. The latest critiques have been excellent. I know I've neglected this thread, but that doesn't mean I haven't been taking the advice deposited here. Thank you, MM and AlphaMeow. Here is my most recent update with some new shaders. The first I like to use when sculpting, makes it easier to identify form and shadow. The second, just some quick and dirty fake SSS.

SnJkM.jpg

ibO7a.jpg
  • cmc444
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmc444 polycounter lvl 11