Home Technical Talk

How Do I get rid of seams?

manilamerc
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
manilamerc polycounter lvl 6
I'm doing a character and I have seams along the arms and hands. What would be the most easiest and effective way to get rid of seams?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pics help greatly.

Also, what program is the seam occurring and under what circumstances?
    3dsmax with a specific viewport shader?
    UDK after baking in xNormal?
    Rendering in Maya?
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    If you're talking about seams in your normal map or ambient occlusion, that's more of an error in your bake.

If you're talking about seams while you're texturing him in photoshop or something, that can be solved in a couple different ways.
    1. avoid painting near seams. By putting your uv seams in places where you won't need to add much detail, you can avoid ever having to paint on them.
    2. Set up your uvs to make it easier to avoid seams in photoshop. For instance, if I knew I wanted to texture in a bracelet going around the arm, I would probably UV the arm so that I could simply draw a thin rectangle in photoshop for the bracelet. If I match up the uv's, I wouldn't get any seams.
    3. Use 3D-painting software. Lots of programs allow you to paint directly on a 3d model. 3dcoat and mudbox are the best, but zbrush and even photoshop allow you to do it as well.
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pics help greatly.

Also, what program is the seam occurring and under what circumstances?
    3dsmax with a specific viewport shader?
    UDK after baking in xNormal?
    Rendering in Maya?

The seam occurs in 3dsMax from the Normal Maps
    I'm using the Xoliul Shader
    I used Xnormal to bake the normals

seams.JPG
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Btw I also get seeming without any maps on...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you using max2013, I think they changed some of the ways that tangents are calculated and it has caused issues like this. What does it look like with a standard shader applied and rendered?

If you still get seams I think it might be coming from some settings inside xNormal, that need to be changed so it syncs properly with max.

Also did you do anything to your normal map after baking it and didn't normalize it? It seems kind of dark in the Xoliul Shader preview slot.
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No I'm using 2012
    With a standard shader it still shows up (tried no maps and it still shows up)
    I did not do anything to my normal map
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you using max2013, I think they changed some of the ways that tangents are calculated and it has caused issues like this. What does it look like with a standard shader applied and rendered?

If you still get seams I think it might be coming from some settings inside xNormal, that need to be changed so it syncs properly with max.

Also did you do anything to your normal map after baking it and didn't normalize it? It seems kind of dark in the Xoliul Shader preview slot.

No I'm using 2012
    I did not do anything to my normal map
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    manilamerc wrote: »
    No I'm using 2012

Really? That's really strange. If you're saying seams are showing up with no textures applied, just a simple phong or lambert, then....
    Only thing I can think is that you have a hard edge in your geometry's normals. Make sure all your normals are softened (my Maxese is spotty, but I think the translation is 'all one smoothing group')
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible wrote: »
    Really? That's really strange. If you're saying seams are showing up with no textures applied, just a simple phong or lambert, then....
    Only thing I can think is that you have a hard edge in your geometry's normals. Make sure all your normals are softened (my Maxese is spotty, but I think the translation is 'all one smoothing group')

Actually nvm it's just the normal maps that are doing it, I have no idea why, what are some steps in Zbrush or PS that can get rid of the seams?
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is what it looks like with no maps using the xoliul shader

Nomap.JPG

this is what it looks like wit diffuse and an AO

seams2.JPG

and finally the normal

seam23.JPG

I used Xnormal for the AO and X normal.
    What could be the Problem?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried unchecking "flip green channel" in the xoliul shader?

When you used a standard material did you place the normal map directly in the bump map slot or did you apply a "Normal Bump" to the bump slot and put the normal map in that?

Just putting the normal map in the bump slot will treat it like a standard black and white bump map and give you seams.
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried unchecking "flip green channel" in the xoliul shader?

When you used a standard material did you place the normal map directly in the bump map slot or did you apply a "Normal Bump" to the bump slot and put the normal map in that?

Just putting the normal map in the bump slot will treat it like a standard black and white bump map and give you seams.

Yeah I tried un-checking the flip green, I'll show you pics of it on and off

This is checked

seams.JPG

This is unchecked

seams2_uncheck.JPG

and for the standard I applied normal bumb to the bumb slot
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you post your files online, somewhere? Helps us to diagnose problems when we can get hands-on.
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you post your files online, somewhere? Helps us to diagnose problems when we can get hands-on.
    sure I'll try something
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Do you use dropbox? If so can I have your e-mail associated with dropbox?
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am pretty sure my dropbox is at like 247% capacity
    Just use this
    http://www.speedyshare.com/
    It'll allow other people to access the files too, that way
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just use this

http://speedy.sh/UrvTd/POLYOUNT-SHARE.zip
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    It could be a gamma correction issue, you can check by applying a texture flooded with a 128, 128, 255 red-green-blue color. If there is still a discernible seam it is most likely gamma correction doing something funky.

Gamma correction is confusing to say the least so here's some official documentation on it

http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/15/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/index.html?url=files/GUID-1AE4B763-13B0-4242-AE71-B2587CD116F3.htm,topicNumber=d30e603998
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just use this

Hey did you figure out my problem?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took a look at the file and it looks like you have a few problems.

1) Scruples was right, gamma was turned on and set to 2.2 in the file, which will attempt to "gamma correct" the normal map throwing off the colors/values and creating seams.
    The easiest way to deal with this is to turn off Gamma/LUT (Main menu > Rendering > Gamma/LUT Settings, uncheck enable).
    There is another way to exclude the normal map from gamma correction, it was mentioned on the boards before but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

2) The AO passes that are applied to the diffuse has seam issues that need to be taken care of, when I hide them and go with flat color, the seams dissapear.

So the normal map looks mostly fine, there are some weird shading errors around the ring finger but that looks like a baking artifact.
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got caught up in stuff irl, but glad to see Mark was able to diagnose. Honestly I probably wouldn't have caught that, since max settings aren't my forte.
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome diagnosis, I learn too much from this site. I will go and turn off Gamma/LUT when I have the free time