Home Technical Talk

What kind of art is this?

I've recently been looking at a game called "Torchlight 2", and I'm really liking the textures/terrain art they used, examples below. Does anyone know if there's a specific name for this sort of art? I would call it "simple".

1_path012.png

approach011.png

blight011.png

ghostboat011.png

Thanks!

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Painterly

I wouldn't call it simple :P
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Hand painted fantasy
  • Feriscool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Painterly

I wouldn't call it simple :P

Well, it is simple compared to other game textures. I'm definitely not saying it's easy to make, because some of the simplest things are the hardest things to make.

I'm having trouble researching about "painterly" art in the form of games. Know and web pages?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    hand painted is the best thing to search for on polycoumt.
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadly Nightshade polycounter lvl 10
    Hand-painted textures in a fantasy theme.
    Blizzard use the same style in World of Warcraft and Diablo 3 - but their artists is either better or they spend more time on the textures. In D3 the polycount is also much higher though...

And it's not as easy to make as most ppl think. When Diablo 3 came out and ppl whined about the graphics I felt angry about their stupidity since that game probably has the best hand-painted textures any game has had so far.
  • battlecow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    Hand-painted textures in a fantasy theme.
    Blizzard use the same style in World of Warcraft and Diablo 3 - but their artists is either better or they spend more time on the textures. In D3 the polycount is also much higher though...

And it's not as easy to make as most ppl think. When Diablo 3 came out and ppl whined about the graphics I felt angry about their stupidity since that game probably has the best hand-painted textures any game has had so far.

I couldn't disagree more.

and btw diablo3 blows.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Man, Torchlight 2 is gorgeous to look at, isn't it..? <3

(though I feel the UI lets it down a little)
  • lysaara
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lysaara polycounter lvl 9
    battlecow wrote: »

and btw diablo3 blows.

Such eloquence and well-considered arguments!

I think Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2(and WoW, and Spiral Knights for that matter) are all gorgeous examples of hand-painted and stylised texturing. The styles all differ a bit from D3's darker and more detailed look to SK's bright and chibified style, but they're all coming from the same idea.
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

and btw diablo3 blows.

And I think you don't have a damn clue about art saying something stupid like that. I also think you nickname really sucks.
    OH LOOK AT THAT LAST SENTENCE! I can also say stupid and unconstructive things! I thought you had to be a douchebag for that but I guess I was wrong.

No but seriously: If you can't argue for your oppinion, posting silly one-liners then why are you even here on an internet forum? Sigh...
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master

and btw diablo3 blows.

Diablo 3 is a beautiful game, the enviroments are amazing, and they are really optimized for lower end rigs as well.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18

and btw diablo3 blows.

so it's easy to do? Then show us.

to the OP, if you're looking for some great art you can't go wrong with Allods Online
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    Just gonna jump in to point out that while diablo 3's textures are very stylized, many (I might even say most) are NOT handpainted. The trees (a notable element of D3's 2.5D style) were actually modeled, then baked onto planes. Many, if not all of the characters were modeled with a high poly and baked.

By comparison, Torchlight 2 looks like everything in the game was legitimately hand-painted, from the characters to the ground textures.

Thus, while D3 may have had 'better' hand-painted textures than torchlight 2, it also certainly had fewer of them.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I consider hand painted a look, not a technique. It really doesn't matter if it is completely hand painted or baked. It doesn't look heavily normal mapped, or photosourced, or attempting to go for realism.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I'd like to think early Ubisoft 3d influence for this instead of Blizzard (Rayman 2 and Tonic Trouble are the earliest games I can think of to have this low poly diffuse handpainted style)
  • Feriscool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for the great feedback! Time to learn how to draw hand painted, stylized textures.

Trying to find some guides to start me off is a little hard though. Anyone know of any?
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
  • battlecow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    I ment to say that the Torchlight hand painted art was easily as good as the blizzard art.
    I misunterstood Deadly Nightshade, i though he was saying blizzard artists were way better then the ones on Torchlight 2. My apologies :)

But still, it may be really pretty, d3 is boring as shit.
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I said that the artists are EITHER better, or they worked longer on their textures.
    Because lets face it: the artistic style in Torchlight is somewhat more "simple" than it is in Diablo 3 - and there can be many reasons behind that (can be intentional, worse artists, less time, more focus on other stuff, etc).

I liked Diablo 3 a lot but the endgame really sucked and the loot system is nowhere near as good as it is in Torchlight 2 where you get rewarded for -everything-. And the AH kinda broke the game even more by implementing a rich-mans gearing market. But either way the art was just fantastic imo.

And Im sorry if I got a bit heated up.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    @Deadly Nightshade,

I'm not trying to be harsh, I just want to give a little advice. It's not nice to label anyone "worse artists" or compare the art skill of two vastly different studios. Even in a passing comment as you did. There are probably people that worked on both Torchlight2 and Diablo3 reading your posts. Show a little tact and word it this way, "I prefer D3's art because I find it more polished."

But D3's polish can be summed up easily. They worked on the game for over a decade. At Robot we finished Orcs Must Die in 9 months and the sequel in 10. I would have loved more time for polish, but that's not always the case.
  • GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    Feriscool wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the great feedback! Time to learn how to draw hand painted, stylized textures.

Trying to find some guides to start me off is a little hard though. Anyone know of any?

Just learn how to paint and all that goes with it.

Hand Painted Links A good artist put these links together from the community for the community Forgot his PC username so heres himz tumblr
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Jonathan Flectcher does a pretty dam nice tutorial of hand painted textures in the "Vertex" mag.
    http://www.artbypapercut.com/

starts on page 47 and is fucking great.

also i have seen the content but i do believe 3d motive had a tut for hand painted weapon textures.