Home General Discussion

Looking for a 3D character animation in school in California... Please help!

Hey guy's I'm trying to help a friend find the best school in California for Character Animation. We've done some research and see that CalArts is a really good school but my friend is looking more into 3D animation. He wants to do animation for video games. So I've notice CalArts seems more 2d animation and claymation. Anything helps, and thanks

Replies

• Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I'm not an animator, so take everything I say with a pound of salt.

But I work real close-by to CalArts, so most our animators come from there. They do teach 3D there, as their primary focus is making sure their students have jobs, and let's face it, that's not 2D these days. Our animators do say it's a pretty good way to go, it's just that a lot of people do go there for their 2D stuff. The school is considered pretty highly. And even if you do end up learning some 2D, that's not something that just goes to waste. You could apply that knowledge, and maybe even be better off for it.

The price though is a major consideration. CalArts is a major university, and there's a solid chance that someone out of state will end up with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. But that's that classic argument about whether it's even worth it to go to school for this stuff.

Another alternative is to skip on getting the degree, and just get the knowledge you need online. Two places that I hear recommended by our animators are ianimate.net and Animation Mentor.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Im in iAnimate. 110% recommend it. Though, if he's looking for a legit school that is recgonized by the government, then animation mentor is the way to go. iAnimate tends to be recommended by everyone over AM, but iA isnt accredited because if they are, they have to follow a certain cirriculmn, which they dont want to do. But there's lots of people in iA that use to be in AM and transferred over.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I don't believe Animation Mentor has any kind of Accreditation. I tried looking up any info on them, and as far as I can tell they're not accredited by anyone, and I'm 99% sure they don't have regional accreditation, which is the only legit one anyway.

Not that it matters. In both those cases you basically just get a diploma which you can't use for anything other than frame on a wall. I say just pick whichever you think will get you a better education at the lowest price.
  • gabman912
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, I really appreciate the quick feedback! I'll definitely let my friend know.

he was looking for a reason to leave his parents house but seems like he may go to class in his bedroom, haha