Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Help

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PeteHawk polycounter lvl 12
Hey people, started using Zbrush and I just wanted to create a thread for myself and anyone else new to the Software.
(Let me know if there is an existing topic on this).

zbrush_logo2.jpg

Replies

• PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'll start off with Zspheres (Creating a base mesh for a female character).
    Having an issues which I cannot seem to find a fix. I cannot snap draw a zsphere out on any axis.

AxisSnap_zps1faca3a4.jpg

Anyone know a way around this?
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    I don't know a proper way around it, but I just would delete the offending sphere then turn on symmetry (x) then with that on, you cursor should snap to the centre of the sphere you will draw the new sphere from by turning a green colour. Make sure you be careful you don't draw two spheres though!
  • RENDEREN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RENDEREN polycounter lvl 8
    I'm not sure if your asking for help or just an overall help on zbrush. Pixologic has A TON of tutorials. It's such a great launchpad for new users. And also the zbrushcentral forum is great for learning and seeing all the top quality artworks out there that was made for zbrush.

About the zsphere problem. Anuxinamoon said it all. If your still having the problem, which I think you shouldn't anymore, try lowering your brush size to 1 when in the zsphere phase. It makes sure your not moving other zspheres when you do decide to go and move a zsphere.
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah thanks guys, exactly what I wanted.
    There are great tutorials and resources out there, but there are simple things that people miss out sometimes. I know here, I can rely on someone to help me out with exactly what I need.

Polycount has an awesome community :)
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, need some help with a problem I'm having when polypainting.

I'm currently using alphas to drag a colour onto my mesh but when the geometry starts to bend it stretches out my alpha. Something to do with zbrush using planar algorithms. Was just wondering if there was some kind of tool that will help me rap the alpha round the mesh without giving me deformations.

Here's a quick example of what I mean.

TattooStretch.png
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Go to your lowest sub div and unwrap so the UV's on the side of the cylinder match your image (Best way is to export and uv in a 3d modeling program). Then and you need to do is hit the mask by alpha button in Tolls>masking.
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They guys, just need a helping hand for the best way to UV a stone wall made up of lots of primitives.
    I've been using Goz for most of my asset building. Mostly for optimizing my mesh in Max and uvw unrapping it, then Goz-ing it back into zbrush for the texture and normals.

I've been using techniques from: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83186. The only problem is that I'm not sure how to make the low poly version.

Here's a preview of my mesh:
    WallZbrush_zps3ff5be92.png
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    My Best Guess:

Just looking at this image
    I'd say make a box outline of your highpoly, then push in and pull out areas to make the wall more interesting and unwrap.

You wouldn't make a box lowpoly of every piece of brick so it is one object like in the image, just start out with 4 sides then cut in and out which 'blocks' you want to be noticed when a user is near your walls.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    do you want your low poly mesh to have geometric depth? If its not needed and a plane is good enough then you can just render a front view of the highpoly
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys, I went for the planar look. Projecting the detail onto a plain.
    Only problem is it doesn't seem to show up in UDK. Unless I'm doing something wrong, I don't think Unreal likes planes.
    Think I'll have to resort to D4V1DC's idea, and make a lowpoly in max.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    PeteHawk wrote: »
    Cheers guys, I went for the planar look. Projecting the detail onto a plain.
    Only problem is it doesn't seem to show up in UDK. Unless I'm doing something wrong, I don't think Unreal likes planes.
    Think I'll have to resort to D4V1DC's idea, and make a lowpoly in max.

UDK works fine with planes, but remember if your material is not set to double sided, you might not see the plane from the right direction.
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah sorry, I seem to forget to save before loading up my scene. Thanks