Home General Discussion

Graph editor, what the damn is it?

It's me again, Well, while i am l learning animation fro Digital tutors. I first watch these tutorials, then do by myself, then again, and then will practice some animation with ball.

The only thing i don't understand is graph editors with the curves or tangents, or whatever they are called.

Most videos i am watching now, the author use graph editor, click somewhere, and then animation looks better, maybe.

But i don't get it, how to know where to fix, which curve to fix. Like if i have animation in all channels, Translate, Rotate, scale X/Y and Z, how to know which one to fix it, or dunno how to ask, but i hope you understand.

Anywhere i can learn w about this, in more detail, about graph editors and tangents?

Replies

• moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Adjusting the curves of your animation gives you the ability to fine-turn your motion to suit your needs, and drastically change how the points move in 3d space to give a much more fluid and organic look instead of "computery" linear movement. See also: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G67wkgmC_Ck]Pop & Lock[/ame]

another ex:

you have 2 keys, one at 1, one at 60.
    your object travels from 0,0,0 to 100,0,0

at frame 30, the object should be at 50,0,0 when using linear interpolation
    you can edit the handles so the object is at 80,0,0 at frame 30 not the best image but along these lines.... Since it is a little further along at frame 30, meaning that from 1-30 it moves faster, and 31-60 it moves slower - but still goes from 0,0,0 to 100,0,0 - just with different pacing & motion.

When looking at the graph, the Y axis handles translation, and the X axis is time. A point on the curve in that editor represents both time & space in 2d, and the relationship between spots before and after it determine how the object moves.

This is my understanding :P there are more graceful explanations im sure :) If you've ever used Flash, its "ease in" and "ease out."

some link from googling maya graph editor...

http://lesterbanks.com/2010/10/basics-and-understanding-the-maya-graph-editor/
    https://www.cs.washington.edu/education/courses/458/09au/content/html/exercises/graph_editor_exercise.html
    http://www.imanishi.com/mayablog_en/2008/07/maya-tutorialthe-graph-editor.html seems to have good examples and animated gifs to accompany them.
    http://www.adobetutorialz.com/articles/2046/1/Understanding-the-Ease-In-Ease-Out-Graph - deals with flash, but the concept is the same, and has notes on images w/ graph examples.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    did you post the 80s dance video on purpose? 0_o
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Messiano wrote: »
    Anywhere i can learn w about this, in more detail, about graph editors and tangents?

If you know the 12 principles of animation, it will all make sense.
  • Messiano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am still learning them, they are bit tricky and confused.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Excuse the crudity of the image below
    Here we are focusing on Translating the ball on one Axis only
    The x-axis
    bstvv.gif

Do you see the difference between the two balls?
    -The top ball is traveling at a constant speed. The bottom ball isn't.

Focusing on the bottom Ball:
    Notice when the curves[green] are modified by the tangent[red], the ball spends more time closer to the previous frame's location.

It's slowing-out of it's starting position. Increasing momentum to go to the other point on the graph. In the middle it travels fast, because of the limited number of frames it takes to travel that distance.

Then the ball travels slows again when it comes to the end point.. The -Slow-in.
    [Kind of like a car, accelerating from a stop sign then slowing down as it comes to a stop light.]

Tangents help create one of the 12 principals of animation. Slow-outs & Slow-ins. To break up the linear feel of going from point A -> B
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Try creating a couple of identical boxes side by side, doing the exact same motion (say, moving 10m on a single axis in 30 frames), keeping one linear and play with the tangents on the other one. You'll learn it in no time!

The graphs can be a bit overwhelming at first when you have all these attributes animated and it looks like a colorful spaghetti bowl. Just try to learn one element at a time and it'll all make sense ;)
  • Pix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix
    I learned to use graph editor with source filmmaker it really helped me to understand animation too, good thing about it this skill translates to whatever else you use that has graph editor, if you have problems you could try it as well, download off steam, launch it play with it.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    my tip is to focus on 1 line at a time. go through it one at a time. rotate x, then rotate y, then rotate z, then translate x, translate y, translate z. If you try and do it all at once, you`ll be super overwhelmed.
  • Messiano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't understand with spline to fix it. or animate? it's mean, where my object will move, that spline to animate? For example, if the ball, jump in translate X, i need to animate that spline in graph editor?

What do to do when i have all channels with splines? I am so lost:()
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Being at such an early stage of animating, you shouldn't be using the graph editor to Animate with. The graph editor is mostly a tool to help in fine-tuning your work.
    For instance, I rarely touch the graph editor... unless I'm trying get a 'micro-movement' to look correct.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    hitting the spline button is only the first step. its in no way the easy mode button. you still have to go through and adjust the curves.

Here, I`ll try to explain. So in the picture below is the translate y. Lets say its the up and down motion of a foot while it's walking. the first picture is in stepped mode.

graph1.JPG

The next picture, all I have done is hit spline. You can see in the middle at he bottom, the green line goes below the red line, which in this example is the floor. So, that means, the foot is now going to go through the floor, instead of appearing to step on a solid ground.

graph2.JPG

So, we go in and adjust the tangents so that the foot no long goes through the ground. Its just changing how the computer interprets the data between the two key frames that I already set.

graph3.JPG

So now, the foot will move down at a stead pace, hit the ground and stop moving down until it lifts up again. But, at the top of the foots movement, I have an arc. This is because the foot doesnt stop suddenly in mid air like it would if it contacts the ground.

Since walking is a cycle, the arc at the top near the end goes up, then goes down, matching the angle at which the start of the cycle is. That way, there is no weird movement when it cycles over. it continues at a constant rate.

But yes, you should definitely not be ANIMATING in the graph editor. You cant create good posing with the graph editor. If your blockout is correct, if you play it in stepped mode, it should look and feel right, but just look like it has a bad frame rate. like its laggy or something. Good posing and blockout is the key to a good animation. I spend 80% of my timing blocking out, with only the last 20% in the graph editor adjusting and fine tuning, making sure everything has that nice arc you want, and that feet arent going through the ground and stuff like that.
  • Messiano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Being at such an early stage of animating, you shouldn't be using the graph editor to Animate with. The graph editor is mostly a tool to help in fine-tuning your work.
    For instance, I rarely touch the graph editor... unless I'm trying get a 'micro-movement' to look correct.

Well, every video am watching for beginning about animating, has suing graph editor.

Then how should i animate, from a start:D?
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't speak for the videos that you've been watching...

however, most animators start by using the translate & rotate tool in the viewport, which allows them to position their characters/objects in the current keyframe.

Typically, they start by
    1-Setting their key poses for that character/object
    2-Then the breakdowns
    3- their Inbetweens
    4-And finally going into the graph editor to 'fine tune the poses' in order to polish the timing/spacing.

It's a traditional method, but if you're onto something new that seems to be working for those animators. Then by all means, pay no attention to the above.