Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi shotgun WIP

Hello Polycount,
I've been lurking for a long time now and finally got around to registering and making a post. This screengrab is a lever-action sci-fi shotgun, kind of an 1887 that shoots energy/plasma:
sci_fi_shotgun_by_karatemanjer-d5d67ga.jpg
The goal is to get it functioning in UDK or another game engine. I'm looking for comments or suggestions before getting to work on the low poly.
cheers,
Jeremy

Replies

• DennisGlowacki
    Offline / Send Message
    DennisGlowacki polycounter lvl 7
    I like I like! Some of the edges might be too sharp for a low poly bake
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    I like it a lot! You have a really solid design and you executed it really well. A couple parts of it will be hard to do low poly (the things on top, and the complex circular part near the handle, specifically) but I'm assuming this is meant to be a first-person asset, so I wouldn't sweat the poly-count too much.

Excited to see where this goes.
  • punchface
    Offline / Send Message
    punchface polycounter lvl 6
    I look at guns in a gun mag and then I look at various game-y guns or fantasy guns and so often, the designer made the gun way more complex with way more doodads and other stuff on the weapon than maybe they need.

This gun is fairly simple in its design. I dig it.

You've talked about the gun being "lever action" which is fine and you have a 'lever' on the gun that could work. I can definitely suspend my disbelief there. :) Maybe you might be able to add a greeb or doo-dad or two to the design that suggests a bit more about how the action on this weapon works and what parts move when the lever is pumped etc....or maybe show how the weapon is loaded or the breach cleared or whatever...But not too much stuff, keep it simple like you have so far and you have a good design. :)

It's probably too nerdy to fixate on but I'd quit calling this weapon a shotgun as it was never intended to fire shot. :)

pf