Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tallgeese Gundam

I've been working on a model of the Tallgeese Gundam from Mobile Suit Gundam Wing.

Here's the high poly so far. The gun and shield are coming soon!

tallgeese_WIP1_HPBody.jpg

Replies

• Burrill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shield with swords attached:

tallgeese_WIP2_HPshield.jpg

Gun:

tallgeese_WIP3_HPgun.jpg
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Tallgeese is one of my favorites, so I have to make the complaint that it's not actually a Gundam.

Looks nice thus far, though.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It's good... but it's not very goose-like.

Looking at the original design, something feels a smidgen off with your model, but I'm having trouble nailing down exactly what it is. I think maybe the shape of the upper torso might be a little off, while the mid black part could maybe be a smidgen wider. Then again it looks like the design varies pretty significantly from reference to reference on Google Images, so you're probably free to tweak him a little as you see fit.
  • Burrill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually I'm using a 1/144 kit I have as a reference and I'm combining that with what I find online of the 1/100 model kit. That's probably why it might look off in some places.

Marshal Banana, definitely just realized there's a difference between a Gundam and a Mobile Suit. I assumed they were all just Gundams.
  • Burrill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excluding some greebles here and there, I'm pretty much done with the high poly.

tallgeese_WIP4_HPBody.jpg

I also noticed how constricting it is where the gun and shield are connected to the shoulder armor. I'm tempted to try and change it to give it more leeway.

On to the Low Poly!
  • Burrill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the work in progress of the Low Poly so far.

It's at a whopping 19,756 triangles at the moment which sort of worries me. I remember my professor in college telling me to stay away from going over 10,000 triangles. However, I came across this list that shows certain triangle counts on game characters/assets and a few are well over 20,000 triangles.

I'm curious if you guys think something like 25,000 triangles is appropriate for a full scale Gundam.

Tallgeese_WIP6_LP.jpg

Tallgeese_WIP5_LP.jpg
  • Burrill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished baking the textures and threw it in the default UDK level just to see how it looks.

It's at 29,762 triangles with a 2048 diffuse and normal texture.

Any crits and comments welcome!

Tallgeese_WIP9_UDK.jpg
  • DirkJan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DirkJan polycounter lvl 4
    Looking good, but I would like to see some wires. 30k poly's is alot! I wanna see how you spend them :). Also, is that funky shading or the shadows around the inner thigh.

Goodluck!
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah 30k Polys is not really a game res amount. Normally its under 10k. I can see how the accessories add to the polycount but can you give us the poly counts of the Character and its weapons seperatly. Also a wireframe would be good as Dirk said.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i think, bearing in mind the scale of the "character", 30k is perfectly fine. 10k is usually for a human sized character... and even that floor is being moved up all the time.

uncharted has 30k characters if i remember right?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    might be even too low depending on the games perspective.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TBH considering the game's industries direction and it's evolution, 30k tris is absolutely fine for a character (especially one as large as this) at this moment in time. Once unreal 4 becomes readily available that's going to more than double with teselation being available ontop.

I'd even go as far as to say '10k tri's is so last year' :P
  • AdamRodgers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of my all time fav mechs, to the point that I have at least 6 kits of it, only two built so far. Looking very good chap, and like most people have said, 10K blooey! That said judging from your low poly wip Id say you could shave a fair few off if you havent already.
  • Burrill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I'm having a slight problem with either the normals or the lighting. I'm not sure which it is. I really want to give this guy a simple animation so I set up a skeleton and controls and binded the skin properly (in Autodesk Maya). However I'm getting these horrible dark spots on my skeletal mesh. Here's a comparison picture from UDK:

tallgeeseNormalsProblem.jpg

With or without a lightmap channel the static mesh looks fine, however you can see how horrible the skeletal mesh looks. Has anyone had this happen and know the fix?
  • Burrill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phew... Fixed it!

Turns out UDK doesn't like it when you try and adjust normals after binding a mesh to a skeleton. I had to un-bind it, fix the normals, then re-bind it.

Here's where I'm at so far:

Tallgeese_WIP14_UDK.jpg

Crits and comments always welcome.
  • Burrill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Afterburner flames. Good, bad?

Tallgeese_WIP14_thrusters_UDK.jpg
  • Burrill
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    This turned out pretty great :P The only nitpick is that I don't like the dirt on the lower legs. I think it's too uniform and high up. I also think it would look better with dirt concentrating around the joints/crevices where it would collect more.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    I think the material could stand to have some reflectivity(even some basic reflection vector stuff) and maybe a tad of fresnel.
  • Burrill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added a stand so he doesn't look like he's floating. Starting to screw around with the lighting.

Also, how does a reflection texture work? I have mine hooked in with the diffuse texture. Should it be linked up with the specular instead (still being rendered in UDK)?

Tallgeese_WIP16_UDK_zpsc93fff89.jpg