Home General Discussion

Is there anybody out there?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ValiantDan polycounter lvl 12
Hey, I'm a 3D Modeler just like you, just trying to make it. You wanna talk shop? I can talk shop!

my Skype is ValiantDan my webpage is www.DanielTritton.com my Email is ValiantDan@gmail.com

If there is anybody out there, and feeling free to say hey man what's going on? What's your Style, what's your swag dude!?!?!

Swag? is that your portfolio you say? www.DanielTritton.com, although I'm not having too much luck getting in any jobs. not going to get discouraged. I don’t see myself doing anything much else if I can help it.

I wanna know what is your PIPELINE, FOR 3D MODELING! Do you use Zbrush then head on over to XNormal with its power to texture bake? Do you use Maya, then head over to PHOTOSHOP and texture your low poly model? You find yourself using 3D Coat for retopologizing your HD models?

I love to learn and hear about your processes with in your own head. After all I’m only human like you, and just a little curiosity. Can't help it.

I’m all for knowledge and knowledge is power. I’m seeking out some projects, and seeking to better my self from it. if you got something to say say it too me! My ears are open! If you can improve my well being, or drop a hint on something I’m lacking sure drop a few words. I’ve got a digital Sketchbook. here on the forums. I’m looking for pure feedback.

I WANT TO LEARN MORE. I wanna KNOW!

Replies

• respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Hi, i'll profit of this post to say something about your portfolio.
    Your 3d model page is way too cheesy.The fonts for model name, the "wip" icon, too much text not enough big images to showcase your work.Why did you put that humanoid first on the page ? It's not clickable, it's a wip (no one cares about wips on portfolio) and again, it looks bad with that wip icon.
    Your resume again, too much text, looking at it for a couple seconds and i get distracted, you could remove your work experience page, put some in resume if you want.
    Hope this helps a bit !
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I wouldn't say your site is cheesy at all, but you need to work on your presentation a lot. Take the advice you get here on what to cut and what order to put stuff in. My advice would be to cut that humanoid W.I.P for now, it's very far away from being presentable. But you are definitely on the right path and definitely have some decent work to show for it. :thumbup:

But please never ever use the word 'swag' in that context ever ever again. :thumbdown:

;)
  • ValiantDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh hey!!! This is great! The W.I.P is gone! That is understandable. I dunno what I was thinking about that, trying to get folks pumped for something that was personal. When I finish it, I'll have a better plan.

The word "swag" wont be used again. ;-)

I'm all for input! I'm happy to hear from people.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Was his intention of his post to get portfolio critiques? I didn't get that impression.
  • ValiantDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm just looking to network, find new friends, get critiques, understand where I am, and where I need to be.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Thank you for not using the word swag!
    Fomori wrote: »
    Was his intention of his post to get portfolio critiques? I didn't get that impression.

If that was the case this belongs in Pimp'n not general.

Your using all the programs you need and am assuming your comfortable with, you seem to already know the process so I am not understanding this post.
    ValiantDan wrote:
    I wanna know what is your PIPELINE, FOR 3D MODELING! Do you use Zbrush then head on over to XNormal with its power to texture bake? Do you use Maya, then head over to PHOTOSHOP and texture your low poly model? You find yourself using 3D Coat for retopologizing your HD models?
    Yea, most of us are using these.
    ValiantDan wrote:
    I WANT TO LEARN MORE. I wanna KNOW!
    :poly141:
    Study, ask questions when you post work, IN PIMP'N.

Edit:
    Your artwork seems fine, you could use a little more work in the conceptual/illustration department, but I guess we all could, not a big deal I guess.
    Make a new design and post in the pimp'n section and you might be able to get more insightful help towards your designs.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Such tiny model previews! The meat monster image isn't even 200x250 pixels!

You're adhering to a 768 pixel width for the main column, which is rather outdated. And of those 768 you spend about 256 (a third!) on whitespace! Exclamation!

You seriously need to make your images larger.

Even in the 2D/sketch area, moar biggerer.

DanielTritton.png

The sculpts area is nice, sizewise, but it's rather messy. Oh, and you want to group images more. Ratman1 and Ratman2 shouldn't be two different images, but a single spread.
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well Polycount's a pretty nice place to network I've found. I see you have a gmail address, might want to give the G+ hangouts a look over. There's usually one running, and if there isn't then just start your own and put the link in the thread. If you make it, they will come.
  • sun_smasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sun_smasher polycounter lvl 9
    I don't think the model previews are too small, but really showcasing them up front probably isn't a horrible idea.

One thing I noticed with your sculpts is that a lot of the things are very smooth and in some instances almost "blumpy". Be sure when you're sculpting to utilize hard edges when you can. Making things crisp and defined in places will really help the overall feel.

On the main page, the black with grey border on white might be a bit cheesy. You might want to work on a cool header of some sort to bam, showcase some art right there instead of just font. Just a thought.
  • ValiantDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you everybody for your advice and direction. This is really helpful information I am receiving. I’ll turn the Cheese Factor to minimal, and continue to make new changes accordingly. Can’t wait to catch up with the new list of changes I’ll be making.I’m really happy there are people out there! I had been running blind for a bit.

I do have a digital sketchbook, perhaps I’ve been posting in the wrong areas. I’m going to posting them. in a better location.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1576188#post1576188

I should redirect this thread to pimp'n?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Andreas wrote: »
    I wouldn't say your site is cheesy at all, but you need to work on your presentation a lot. Take the advice you get here on what to cut and what order to put stuff in. My advice would be to cut that humanoid W.I.P for now, it's very far away from being presentable. But you are definitely on the right path and definitely have some decent work to show for it. :thumbup:

But please never ever use the word 'swag' in that context ever ever again. :thumbdown:

;)
    Enough SWAG, not enough YOLO.