Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

For the Animators

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Rmunday polycounter lvl 9
Hello fellow Polycounters.

My name is Rob (sounds like an Alcoholics anonymous meeting already), I am currently in my last year of university in the UK and have a research report to write.

My subject is "[FONT=&quot]Animation, making the jump into the 3rD dimension."

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I know there are not many on Polycount who are animators however I would really love some statements from a few people who are in industry as animators and are willing to be quoted in my report so it comes from the people who actually do it rather than a theorist. I am interested in the workflows you all have, from your first pencil sketch to your final animation in 3D (or 2D as the case may be) I would love as many people as possible to participate. If you wish to help out please can you post the following:

Name

In Industry or as a hobby?

How many years experience?

Briefly describe your workflow.

Do you do sketches first or go straight into 3D?

Do you prefer 2D or 3D animation?

Are you willing to be named and quoted in an academic report?

I will get the ball rolling by answering a few of those myself. As mentioned I am still at University and honestly am still in the baby stages of animation trying to nail the basic principles. Obviously I am not in industry however do want to aim for game animation. Since I do animation more in my spare time I prefer to work on a try and tweak basis, so I jump straight into 3D, try something if it doesn't look right tweak while using principles from what I learn from 2D (Thank you "The animators survival kit". This is due to my terrible drawing/sketching skills I can much better show what I am aiming for in a really rough block out rather than well drawn sketches. I know in industry this will not cut it, each animation needs to be planned so you waste no time and get right down to what needs to be done.

Thank you for taking the time to read and hopefully participate and I will answer most questions you may have within 24 hours if not less and look forward to some interesting discussion.

[/FONT]

Replies