Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Environment: Saint

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
tyddynroger polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys,

I came across some environment art on cghub and wanted to have a crack at it in UDK, I did create an environment based off it but it didn't turn out very well so I've completely re worked it and followed the concept more closely. The concept is called Saint by Yang Liang:

622_large.jpg

The blocks which the first monument sits on is a place holder at the moment and I plan to rework the pillars and have 2/3 varieties.

This is what I have so far:

screen_01.jpg

screen_02.jpg

screen_03.jpg

THINGS TO DO:

-Tweak FOV (see more detail in the distant mountains)
-Rework Pillar Mesh
-Create stone block mesh for monument base
-Add particle effects to water
-Tweak material on statue
-Add point lights to add contrast

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• tyddynroger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE:

ScreenShot00001.jpg

This is where i'm at now guys any feedback would be great.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats a sick concept.

Right now, your environment is really lacking the contrast that makes the concept look so cool. The thing that immediately sticks out to me is dark your mountains are compared to the ref. Also..the concept has really cool, jagged forms but your rocks are much simpler and "lumpier." They definitely don't have as much interest. I think you could put fog in between the parts of the mountains like the ref too, that would be a nice touch.

I think it would be cool if you can push the FOV to match the concept. Part of what makes it look so cool is how the mountains kinda surround the sky and frame the whole composition..which your missing.
  • tyddynroger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the main problem ive had is lighting this without taking away a night time effect.
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    Great concept you got there.

-The textures you have on your structures are really noisy and contrasty, if you look at the high res version of the concept you can see that the stone in the stairs is quite smooth and more glossy.
    -Compared to the ref, your skydome is darker
    -Definitely use some fog planes between the peaks
    -I don't know how this will work out but you could light up the mountains manually, by placing omni lights around if other options fail.
    -If you haven't already, use some post process effects that might help with nailing the lighting
    Good luck!
  • tyddynroger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok guys tweaked the lighting and added a fog emitter, i used an emitter as i got better results than a piece of geometry, i think what ive got to do now is create layers with the fog to give the illusion of depth and height.

ScreenShot00001.jpg
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    Now the sky is too bright for a night scene. And the mountains are still illuminated quite flat, there is a gradient of light in the concept, that goes from down (dark) to up (light).Perhaps in the concept, that yellow-ish light on the top peaks is the result of a setting sun in the distance?
    I still doubt that you can illuminate the mountains with just 1 primary light source.
    But anyways the rocks themselves read better now. Keep at it
  • tyddynroger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    before anything i have to say i forgot my manners! thanks to guys for the feedback!

currently i have a dominant light as the main light source, then 4 other dom lights for the sky colour, then i have spot and point lights of parts of the mountain range. i'll play with the direction of the main light and maybe change the colours of the spot and point lights. oh and i'll fix the sky as well!

thanks again!
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    Good luck! and don't forget about that FOV thingy, it might really help pushing the grandness of the scene
  • tyddynroger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick update guys just grabbed a quick screen:

Capture.JPG

im going to make some adjustments to the monuments add some glow around them etc.

as soon as thats done i'll make some adjustments using colour grading then bake production lighting.
  • tyddynroger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys i've built production lighting, i need to sort out that mountain entrance in the top right but what does everyone think now?

ScreenShot00002.jpg
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    You've made some nice progress, its starting to take shape.
    -The first thing that i noticed was that glow coming from the buildings, its too well defined, too round and uniform.
    -The stairs in my opinion are too bloby compared to the ref image.
    -The statue would benefit from some rim lighting, specially because the moon is positioned behind it, and perhaps all the objects would go well with a Fresnel set up in the shaders.
    Good luck and keep updating :D
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Really really dark. Add some blue ambient, and maybe a distance-based colorfading material OR huge box of fog/postprocessing.
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Needs more fog and light, it currently looks to empty,add more details into rocks they look like you just placed AO map over gray base color.
  • Lily
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great concept!
    if i didn't guess wrong, the concept is based on a quite old(maybe not that "old", about 15 years ago) Japanese cartoon called Saint Seiya. Then the statue should be Athena...and there are 12 buildings representing 12 astrology.
    but anyway, nice progress~keep on going
  • tyddynroger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback guys!

@lily thanks for the info, i never knew that! just done a quick wikipedia.

anyway this is the latest shot, pretty annoying having 2 monitors sometimes, it looks a lot 'colder' on one compared to the other!

ScreenShot00001.jpg
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    I like where this is going man, keep it up
  • tyddynroger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kbrom12 thanks!

anyone got any suggestions from here? im thinking of brightening up the shadowed areas again and mess with the fog volumes, there's a big lump of fog on the right that im not happy with.

I always notice stuff after i've posted it on here!
  • toolpaddz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toolpaddz polycounter lvl 10
    - the orange glow around the temple is much too strong (and still to uniform as mentioned before), bring in a little more contrast, shadows, position a real light source (something like a big fire bowl) in the front of it to make it believable
    - I'd say as well that the blobby, contrasty bricks do not fit the concept. Especially for the stairs.
    - the sides of the stairs as well as stairway itself would benefit from being a bit broader, making it more epic
    - the scene gets too shiny and bright for a night scene. At the moment, it almost looks like daytime to me
  • tyddynroger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok guys! thinking i'm getting to the end now, regarding the bricks and steps i'm not to bothered about them matching the concept.

this is what i have now any further tweaks that need to be made can be done using and LUT strip.

ScreenShot00000.jpg
  • RitualSynergY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RitualSynergY greentooth
    Have you tried messing with the FOV yet? I noticed the concept has it pushed pretty hard. Also, I think if you made a custom skybox(if you haven't already) it would help your scene a lot, the clouds from the concept really help accentuate the shot. Keep it up!
  • tyddynroger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback, i'll give some swirly clouds a go, at the moment its just the udk night sky with some tweaks.
  • tyddynroger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok guys just need to build production lighting and make some tweaks with lut and im done, been working on an art test so only really managed to add clouds today, went for a swirly look.

ScreenShot00003.jpg
  • Gwee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love these kinds of environments :) the orange/blue and outdoor lighting and mountains. Wish I had tips or something but I'm new to all this, but keep going!
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    Aaawschooome stuff! Coolest concept ever :)
    Love the sky and rocks especially.
  • tyddynroger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is it guys with production lighting and some lut tweaks.

ScreenShot00010.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Still far too dark and black.