Home Technical Talk

3Ds Max Morph Target Baking

Hi,

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to bake morph targets to my character so I can collapse the morph modifier in the stack.

How do I do this? Is it even possible?

The reason for doing this is that I want to scale my character and rig (rigged with CAT) using the 'Rig Resizer' but it won't work with the morph modifier applied to the character.

If the morph can't be collapsed is there any way to scale my character and CAT rig?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Multiple morph targets can't be baked. If you collapse the stack the active targets become the static model, and all morph data is lost.

Is there something preventing you from deleting the morph modifier, scaling, and then reapplying a new morph modifier and adding the targets again? (The targets would need to be rescaled as well.)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The CAT rig-resizer is a bit touchy. I use it only to scale the CAT rig and I scale the meshes separately. Technically is was designed to handle both but as you found out it isn't good at handling all of the "what if's" in the modifier stack.

Only select the CAT pieces in the rig-resizer. Then re-size the meshes using the same numerical values that you used in CAT. Right click the scale tool to get the Type in Transform System.

Hopefully you zero'ed out the scale transform matrix before skinning... If not you could have some trouble with pieces that where already scaled. Then you have to go through a bunch of other steps and it's a giant pain.