Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

[Royalty] Wake Up Call Sci-Fi FPS Expanding Our Art Team!

kdtlx3.png

Intro:
We here at Leatharian Studios are looking for several dedicated and experienced team members in the 3D Art, Animation, and Concept Art departments. If you have skills in any of these areas and are interested in working on a highly organized and professional team, then read on to discover more about the job and the team.

The Evolution of Wake Up Call:
I personally created the idea for Wake Up Call with some inspiration from some friends and decided to develop the concept into a full-fledged story with defined gameplay mechanics, tons of backstory, detailed characters, and an overall rich narrative. I spent many months on my own developing the idea before I first came to the UDK forums in August of 2011, seeking a concept artist or two to help define the art of the game. I recruited a few members early on and some of the first concept artists are still on the team, creating wonderful concept art for our artists and for inspiration. At that time, the concept of Wake Up Call was still in its early stages and was very different than it is today. Today, we are proud to have a fully-fledged concept, basically a game on paper, with tons of concept art and some 3D stuff to illustrate it properly. The game is in the early stages of production, and we are working as hard as we can to continue to refine and develop the game. As it stands, Wake Up Call is going into full-scale production, hence the need for more members.

Who is Leatharian Studios:
21eb9eh.png

Leatharian Studios is a team that was founded almost a year ago. We strive to create detailed, deep worlds with rich narratives and immersive gameplay as the key features. Our flagship title, Wake Up Call, has been refined and crafted over the course of over a year, and we are panning to dive into production now that all the pre-production work is complete. At the moment, the team is getting large and growing, always looking for more experienced and dedicated members who will strive to create the high quality and detailed work that is required for Wake Up Call and all future game projects to truly shine.

What is Wake Up Call:
Now, at this point you are probably wondering: "What is this wonderful game that you keep talking about?"...more or less :p. But, all joking aside, here is a pretty complete description of everything we can tell the public (and a little more):

Wake Up Call is a cinematic, single-player Sci-fi FPS that has a strong focus on narrative, player choice, and immersion. The narrative's details are mostly confidential, but I can tell you it involves amnesia, two strong main characters, mutated humans (not zombie-like), and an emotionally wrecked and evil dictator. What I can tell you is that the player plays as Kyle Rogers, an ex-Spec-Ops soldier who has been awoken from a very long cryostasis sleep by a young human woman, named Tori. He has amnesia but soon learns that he is the key for the survival of the human species, and he is supposed to open a massive underground Cryostation which holds over 10,000 humans (a lot considering the population of the area).
soxrg4.png

As for player choice and immersion, we plan on having several events in the game's story that have meaningful impacts (a reasonable number, nothing near Mass Effect level), as well as an emphasis on letting the player choose his play-style. The game is a mix of puzzle and combat gameplay and draws from Mirror's Edge and Splinter Cell Conviction in it's gameplay design, as well as mixing in a few elements of our own design, including the wrist-link, a universal hacking tool that can connect and hack many objects connected to the city's grid. We present combat, and in many cases, puzzle gameplay in a way where we provide an environment and the player decides how they want to use that environment. As for immersion, we plan on several things like, of course, the overall freedom of choice in the game, but also freedom of movement, suppression, several weapon behaviors not generally included in FPSes, and an emphasis on good sound/music.

What Can We Offer You:
We can offer you a place on a great team with several highly qualified members. We ask for a certain level of experience/skill, but we do not have extremely rigid requirements. We cannot offer compensation yet, but we can offer experience in working in a professional team environment and a great resume/portfolio project for all team members, and, in addition, we will offer royalties for all team members that stay all the way through production to completion. All we ask is that you are serious about the project and treat it professionally, you dedicate a decent amount of time to the project (at least 5-7 hours/week), and you always strive to create high quality content.

What Makes Us Different:
There are a few things that make us different. First, organization: We utilize several organizational programs for team and task management as well as a cohesive system to communicate and share WIP and feedback with everyone else. Second, dedication: We are all dedicated members that want to see this game made and want to be a part of it; we all enjoy the game's universe and narrative, and we enjoy it's gameplay aspects. Third, preparation: We have finished all our pre-production work, including a very robust and detailed GDD (which is always added to and updated, but it is at a very strong point right now), Technical Docs (beyond the GDD), NDA/MoU, and TONS of concept art. Fourth, dedicated leadership: I have been with this project for over a year (several months of that time was by myself), and put in 20+ hours every week; I make sure people have what they need and try to tackle our hurdles before we hit them, and I do Level Design for the game as well.

Now, hopefully you are still with us and interested in the game. Here are our open spots and some basic qualifications:

Concept Artist:
We are currently looking for Concept Artist focused towards environments and props to give to our art team. We have a strong concept art department as is, and you would be working with some great minds. We ask that Concept Artists have at least two years of experience in creating concept art for games or movies. We also prefer people who can go into those small details, and who have acquired a keen eye for detail in their past work.

3D Artist (Character):
We are on the lookout for an experienced Character Artist to bolster our current team of character guys. We have several strong character artists, but are looking for another with at least 2-3 years of experience in creating characters for games only, who can both model and texture. We are also only looking for someone who has worked with the Unreal Engine 3(UDK included), Cryengine 3, or another high-end engine designed for high quality graphics.

3D Artist (Environment):
We are looking for several (2-3) 3D Environmental Artists to augment our current art team. We already have a few strong, dedicated artists, but we will need more to be able to properly finish the project. We are looking for artists who have at least 2 years of experience in 3D art, both in modeling and texturing. We are also only looking for people who have worked with the Unreal Engine 3(UDK included), Cryengine 3, or another high-end engine designed for high quality graphics.

Animator (mostly Characters):
We are looking for two talented Animators who have at least 2-3 years of animation experience. You will be in a largely fresh department, meaning you will likely be the first or basically the first to contribute in that department. We do require our animators to be able to rig and skin the characters they are given, as well as create the animations themselves. We are also only looking for people who have worked with the Unreal Engine 3(UDK included), Cryengine 3, or another high-end engine designed for high graphics, and, since this is animation, experience in CGI animation is good too.

I hope to see some of you on the team! Now, here is a small set of images for the game (concept art and renders) to show you a little more, enjoy!

xelj43.png
zmjuvo.jpg
1237628.jpg
5n6b7d.jpg
2j2j2bd.jpg

Hope you liked it! Be sure to apply by sending an email to careers@leatharianstudios.com with a link to your portfolio if you are interested!

Also, follow us on indiedb and facebook for updates:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/wake-up-call
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wake-Up-Call-The-Game

Replies