Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Abandoned manor [UDK]

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
romy polycounter lvl 12
hello everyone
i am currently working on another project. My first intention was to make a haunted manor, so we'll see where this is going. As main inspiration sources i choosed old victorian houses, movies like "the woman in black"... For the lighting i've been impressed by the work of barbara canepa on her last comic "End", i would really like to catch the same mood for my scene. (samples)

First screenshots :
screen1.jpg
screen2.jpg
screen3.jpg
unlit.jpg
wireframe.jpg
flats_textures.jpg
Textures are 512x512 or 512x1024
For my textures i choosed to work with photo sources, and normal maps done with maya.

I tried to optimize my scene by reducing drawcalls. For this i merged some elements by materials, the biggest lightmap size is 512x512 for the floors.

This is still very wip, i made all of this in one week and i don't intend to spend too much time on this project (not like pirate castle ^^).

Next step will be for other rooms, the front of the manor, a little garden for the entrance and, at the end, some props to give a bit of life. I would like to make a child room, a library and a dining room.

as usual, feel free to comment and give suggestions!:)

Replies

• JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    This is beautiful. You got some real mileage from these texture sheets. Curious though how you got away with mirroring the rug; did you just cancel the specular?
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Oh my, dust particles in a lightshaft... I thought it took 4ms on the cpu... ( private joke, Romy will understand ) ^^.
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    Awesome work Romy, I think you could use some light on the top sides of your rug on the stairs though, the staircase itself has baked in lighting and it's inconsistent with the rug.

The railing posts also seem like they're spaced a little too far apart.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
  • haba_haba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking great. Maybe light is little too uniform on the top. IMO there should be some more sky light coming through windows. Other than that is really nice.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Very, very nice. I would love to see some more props in there and maybe an expansion (hallways, small rooms) loving this.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    ^ yes all that.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    cool, i like the layout.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I really like this. I think some cool props could be used to add some contrast to the scene, maybe a nice marble ornaments dotted around.
  • FractaL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reminds me of bioshock!
  • romy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    romy polycounter lvl 12
    BringMeASunkist-> thanks ! well exactly, i simply don't have specular on this mesh
    Texelion->plus it moves when you walk in it ;)
    dii->thanks, it's noted i'll try something about it !
    haba_haba-> okay, but yes outside is not done yet, and lighting is not definitive at all, i'm just experimenting at this state of the production =)
    aajohnny-> thank you, yep it's in my plans
    wesley-> the same =D
    fractal-> now that you mention it... =)
  • FractaL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is really great work though romy, you're seriously inspiring me every time i look at your work. By the way, I am referring to when you fight Sander Cohen! I don't know why but this reminds me exactly of it. Great texture work too.

I was wondering if you used max at all. I've been waiting to ask a highly skilled maya user on these forums if its just as easy to learn to model with maya as it is to do so with max. My friend and I are trying to learn Maya, but I only know max. I'm not gonna ask you about the differences/pros/cons, but I want to know your personal opinion on the matter!
  • mbischof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the mood of the environment. I immediately think this would be an awesome game to fight baddies in an rpg!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Looking good. Starting to get a real Resident Evil feeling to it. Push in more fog and clutter!
  • romy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    romy polycounter lvl 12
    hi everyone, sorry for the long answer guys
    jeff and mbischof : thanks ! =)
    fractal -> i don't use max because i'm not really used to it. But i must recognize some of his advantages and i started to work with it those last days. Anyway, being able to use both of them isn't going to penalize you ;)

Anyway, i managed to make an update :
    screen4.jpg
    screen5.jpg
    screen6.jpg

i added a library and a dining room. It's not over, i will add a few props like mural lamps, paints, vases, dishes etc...

Also, i started to work on the skydome, it's just here to help me find the mood of my scene
    i'll post a few flats tomorrow =)

anyway give me your advices and comments !
  • romy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    romy polycounter lvl 12
    And the flats =) :
    flat_1.jpg
    flat_2.jpg
    flat_3.jpg
    flat_4.jpg
    flat_5.jpg
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Love the atmosphere, keep it going! awesome stuff as always. The only thing I have with this is that the furniture is still placed perfectly, maybe have a chair tipped over? Minor things though :p
  • Rednaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful lighting :o The lightshaft looks a bit too much like a octagon though in the second and third shot
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
  • Quickel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quickel polycounter lvl 12
    I like this new set of images you gave - The first scene was interesting to me but a bit barren (as others have mentioned). The left side of your rectangular rug could use an extra poly or too so it doesn't stand out so much. Ii'd personally like to see a little more highlights coming from the main light on the objects in the scene and some ambient occlusion to ground the objects onto the floor.
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 14
    Great work romy,
    A few questions if you don't mind,
    Could we see some flats of the floorboards? You have some real interesting colour variation along the boards (grain direction) and I'm intrigued if this is done with a gradient or just with a big texture that allows for two boards width.
    Also you seem to build quite a lot of the scene in maya itself, how much of this is split up into smaller pieces? Also how do you decide what is gonna be unique in maya and what to place in UDK? The walls/ flooring make a lot of sense, but the smaller pillars less so.

Hope you get in some cobwebs along the desk and dust patches on the floor!
  • romy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    romy polycounter lvl 12
    thanks everyone!
    aajohnny -> you are right, some chaos would help, i'll fix that ;)
    rednaz-> ok, it's from the godray shader i've made witch modulate its intensity from camera distance, i'll fix that too
    quickel-> okey noted, thanks =)
    Myles ->about the roofboard, for optimization purpose i decided not to use any mesh painting, as we do on PS3. So, i simply made a mask applied through the UV lightmap of my floor, and darkened the texture with a simple multiply. The mask map is about 512x512, and is stocked with other maps, for various elements of my scene, in each channels of the texture. If you need more precisions i could post some shots =)

for your second question, what you can see in my second shot are the elements i exported, already placed in maya. I make one export by material, also for optimization purpose. I also exported elements by their vertex count and their materials. For example the floor is really low definition so even if it enters into player's frustrum, the cost for udk to load it is really nothing. On the contrary, the shelves that support books, merged in one big besh could be pretty heavy, so i prefer to have one instancied static mesh. Hope i answered clearly, if you have any questions don't hesitate =)