Home Technical Talk

Normal map generation software on OSX

phaedarus
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
phaedarus polycounter lvl 10
Hi everyone,

I'm searching for alternatives to Crazybump on OSX.

Is there anything else available? Preferably something with Photoshop plugin support perhaps?

I haven't had much luck with Google as many discussions on this date back several years. If anything new has since been released, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks.

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    ndo2 is probably what you are looking for
  • phaedarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phaedarus polycounter lvl 10
    BARDLER wrote: »
    ndo2 is probably what you are looking for

Unfortunately, it's not available on the OSX platform.
  • Spiffy664
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy664 polycounter lvl 6
    get VMware :| at work I have VWware specifically for xnormal, crazybump, ndo2, etc

the only thing I can think of for mac is the nvidia normal map filter, lol. And thats assuming you have photoshop, but thats a safe assumption in this industry.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    pretty sure there is a mac beta for crazybump. do you not want to use that?

or maybe im reading your post wrong

I also think allegorithmics stuff support macs
  • Dashiva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dashiva triangle
    Spiffy664 wrote: »
    get VMware :| at work I have VWware specifically for xnormal, crazybump, ndo2, etc

the only thing I can think of for mac is the nvidia normal map filter, lol. And thats assuming you have photoshop, but thats a safe assumption in this industry.

Not to derail the thread but are you able to use CUDA with this? I'd really like to work in Linux but the CUDA/Xnormal thing brings me back.
  • Spiffy664
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy664 polycounter lvl 6
    if it runs on windows 7, it runs on mac OSX running VMWare - this is why I strongly suggest it for anybody forced to work on a mac for either work reasons or otherwise. You might run into memory issues, at that point you should get some parts and build yourself an extra windows PC to run next to your mac. However in most cases if you can run the program on a windows based PC with 4 gigs of ram installed, you should be fine. I installed crazybump trial to make sure

Also, with VMWare you could have all 3 Dashiva, literally. You could have mac OSX running, windows, and whatever version of linux you like assuming its supported (I am fairly certain ubuntu is supported)

For my workflow in the future eventually I want a normal map server that can be accessed by anybody wanting to bake there assets in the building. You drop your files in via the network, it crunches it down, and it delivers it back to your computer. I'd rather have this then my own beefy PC because I do like some of the mac features like multiple desktops, mission control, etc. The gestures are pretty cool - and my work has other reasons for using macs, but as OP is finding, the lack of what I consider "small tools that make your life awesome" - Crazybump, ndo2, xnormal, or uhh, a UDK client (lol) that natively runs on mac is pretty traumatizing.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    why would you be trying to do 3d for games from mac or linux, when windows has all the tools needed?

i would feel that having to bring vmware into the workflow would just slow the whole workflow down, and add a lot of needless steps, when you can just bootcamp and duel boot with win7 and do all your 3d from windows.