Home Technical Talk

Zbrush literally deleted my project file. Is there any hope to recover?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
I went to file > open > double clicked on my file. Then the file disappeared and the name went into the open file dialog box. I have no clue what happened but was wondering if someone knows where my file could be.

I have no windows recovery option for that date.
I searched my whole HDD for the file name, and only came up with the shortcut in the app data folder.
I checked zbrushes recover folder.

Any ideas, or am I SOL.

Replies

• Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    It sounds like you've been saving over the same project file for awhile. Do you have any saves of your ztools?

I always UP save my ztools. Before exiting out, I usually save a project file as well. I've noticed as my projects become rather large (6+ Gs) it tends to freeze while trying to save the project file in 4r3.

Not sure this is much help:( b/c this sucks! I'm pretty sure you only get a recovery file if it crashes after a successful open.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So basically I saved a file at 530, and then a new file at 930 last night.

When I tried to open the one from 930 today, it deleted. So I still have a decent amount of work done.... I was just hoping for something that would save me 4 hours of sculpting, and I also really liked where I stopped last night.

I usually just over write the file I am working on to save it, and then every few hours save out a new file. I guess from now on I will just save out new files every time, and not overwrite.

Also what really pisses me off, which is my own fault. Last night when I stopped, I shut down my computer, and thought to my self, "I should put this on my flash drive." FML lol
    I always put my days work on my flash drive... except yesterday.

Thanks for the response.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Is it in the recycling bin?
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol no I checked that. I am already back to where I was anyway so its pointless at this point.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Are you using a cloud service such as Skydrive or Dropbox? (heaven forbid the latter :p) If so you should be able to recover the history of a file.