Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio layout - help needed!

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Broadway polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys,

I've collecting some stuff to throw in a portfolio and it would be super awesome to get some feedback on my initial layout ideas. As of now the link just goes to a page with a giant (GIANT!) non-interactive image, but when it's done the idea is that each square will be clickable - either to get to a full-res version of a 2D image if it's a painting, or to get to a page with shots from multiple angles, wireframes, and textures if it's a 3d scene or asset.

http://www.john-broadway.com

Here are some concerns I had:
1. Is this too disorganized? Should I break it down into 3d/2d/graphic design/ui sections, instead of having everything on 1 page? I've tried to follow the 'Get a ton of art in my face as soon as possible' advice I see often on Polycount, but this layout does seem a little disjointed.

2. I'm sure I probably have WAY too much stuff here. Any suggestions on what to cut, and how much?

3. Black Ops is the only really 'household name' sort of project I've worked on, and since so many employers seem to require 'AAA' experience, I felt like maybe I should make it REALLY obvious that I've worked on a AAA title. Hence, the giant 'CALL OF DUTY' labels. But, does this come off as obnoxious? Should I just count on my resume to let people know what projects I've worked on?

4. 'About me' pages - are they necessary or not? I could definitely add one, but I could also just add that biographical blurb to my LinkedIn page which I'll be linking from this site.

Any other feedback would also be greatly appreciated. Of course, crits on the art are always welcome, too, just keep in mind that these images are all very temp and might not be representative of the final quality, especially the 3d renders.

Thanks everybody!

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I think since you have alot of different types of work It might be better to split it up a little, but still have a selection of your best stuff on the front page regardless of category.

I think the labels are fine, in the future I might group a bunch of those things together ie: COD Black Ops assets on one page/post/section/whatever, same thing with subsequent games/projects.

The "About Me" section isn't super neccesary, especially if it is an entire page. If you have a contact or resume page a little blurb about yourself would be cool, but having the blurb on Linkedin would work just as well.
  • Broadway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the feedback m4dcow! I made some changes to the layout to break things down into categories a little more while still putting a lot of images in the viewer's face at once, and I ended up leaving the blurb for my resume and LinkedIn page.

I'm almost done with my initial pass on the site so I'll post another thread soon for a portfolio review.
  • Cube Republic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cube Republic polycounter lvl 11
    Lovely work.

Not to sure about the highly kerned font at the top, it reminds me of fashion design.