Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sky Towers

Hi guys,

I just started my next project! Based off of the amazing work of TryingToFly from deviantArt.

cephosian_fields_by_tryingtofly-d5ffbc9.jpg

Anyway, this is the most complex work I have ever done.

Fb5kI.png

One of the buildings. I am not going for perfect replication of the concept, just taking ideas and the overall feel of the scene from it.Not done with this building yet, just adding details and stuff, before I break it up for texturing. And then I will add the vines/ropes and umbrella things after.

Replies

• Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's ready to go for a texture pass, what do you think?

llse3.png
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    do you plan on putting this into unreal or an engine. If you are you should block most of it out first to get your scale down. Once you have the basic models blocked out then Id advise you to ask yourself what target quality your trying to achieve. If your going for something on the ps3 verses something for the ipad or whatever may determine on how you go about texture and modeling. Looks like your going for a low poly scene which is sweet. You might want to consider how you will break that model down. If it was me those railing would only need to have one unwrapped and duplicated. Also try overlapping uv faces as much as you can to keep the resolution at a decent quality. This is a good concept but you should get more fantasy references for the texture and make sure you hand paint everything and do not use photos at all....anyway hope this helps.
  • Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah this is going into UDK. Good idea, I think I will go about blocking out the scene in UDK, but I was excited to start modeling :P My target is high end PC, so poly counts are quite high, same with texture size. The thing is, the concept is quite blockey, so I can manage with low poly counts on the buildings and maybe sculpt some real nice detail in the close bridge. And of course the railing will be instanced. :)

I dunno about hand painted textures. I have never done them before, and I am still thinking about the look of the scene.

Thanks for the reply man. I don't have much now, but check back soon :)
  • Tryingtofly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey!

A really cool interpretation of my concept painting! I am checking the forum every day for your progress and I even made an account to reply! Your approach to this concept is really interesting! And I cant wait for it to be finished! Maybe I'll make a 3d version of the building too! Would be cool to compare stuff!

Good luck and talk to you later!

Tryingtofly
  • Tryingtofly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Benton!!

I made an account on this site so I could comment on your work! I really like your approach to my concept sketch! And I am really excited about it!

Keep up the good work!

Tryingtofly