Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[prop] Old Radiator

Hey, there is my low poly radiator with diffuse, normal and specular maps. Please let me know what do you think.

oldradiator.jpg

radiator_wire.jpg

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    The color is rather boring, and the wear doesn't make much sense to me... or is that dirt?

Either way if its wear it would happen along the edges the most, and the dirt would collect more subtly in the grooves. Also rust, rust stains, and water stains would make it look at lot better as well. Add some color and variation in the diffuse to give it some life, right now it just looks like blank plant splattered on a white radiator.
  • ghostwriter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Bardler for a comment. First of all, this prop is not for any children game with thousands of colors if you catch my drift. I don't want extreme hard colors. What I'm aiming for is a reality and yes, reality is sometimes boring. After all, this is an old radiator, not a carnival attraction. But anyway, you had some good points, so there is a little update:

radiator.jpg

diffuse:
    rad_diff.jpg

normal:
    rad_norm.jpg
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    look good , but you dont have a spec map .. if you dont you should really make one and those
    black scratch try to use photoshource , i think you use just a brush? try use photos for more details
    hope this help
  • ghostwriter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44: I use photos and I have a specular map - just didn't upload the thumbnail of it. For the texture reference:

IMG_1300.JPG

CastFeRadiators.jpg

cast_iron_radiator_06.jpg
  • ausernottaken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The update to the color looks much better.

Are you making this for a larger scene or did you just decide to make a radiator?
  • ghostwriter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ausernottaken: Thanks, yes it's for a larger scene.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 13
    I think the bottom reference is the most interesting. Look at how the majority of the paint wear is on the top/edges. It's caused from people, bikes, objects, etc. hitting the top of it and contacting those points. Right now your wear and tear seams totally random. Focus on banging up the edges more, and having less 'splotchy' spots on the inside. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the red ketchup-ish stain, but that's just me.
  • ghostwriter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan: What do you mean by "red ketchup-ish stain"?