Home Technical Talk

xnormal problem help

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hi I am usually never experiencing this problem but I am right now only for a piece ...
I have a couple of greaves done in zbrush they are convex on the exterior and slightly convace in the interior ... the problem is that the normal map backed in xnormal maes the opposite seem or better it seems to do ok interior side but exterior seems to make an upverted normal map , like a concave surface instead than convex ... I tried all settings and exported with different smoothing groups the low poly but still I get upverted convexity ... how can this be fixed or what could be due to?

Replies

• Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch polycounter
    Sorry but after reading that I still don't know what the issue is :-S The best thing to do is take a quick screenshot of your issue and upload it with some annotations pointing out what the problem is, it'll be a lot faster for people to help out :)
  • NAIMA
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Yes right here it is ....
    so on left the High poly mesh on right the low poly on center the cage , low bottom the result ingame and on top left and right how looks ingame , as you can see the normal maps look like concave rather than convex ...

72600764.jpg
  • Wilson_B
    Hey Naima, I too am experiencing this weird issue with baking normal maps in xNormal for use in Skyrim. My weapons/shields I have been developing have this strange concave shading to them. I am baking normal map with x+ y- z+ settings as I read somewhere that y had to be - value for the game engine... Have you had any luck figuring this out? If I happen to figure it out I will post solution here...

Take it easy.