Critiques are welcome,

Sean

Replies

• BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Looks awesome!
    Try to use the insert image thing instead of attaching the images.
  • sean_rodrigues
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sean_rodrigues polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks Ben Henry.
    Thinking about changing the saddle to something like this.

Critiques are welcome,

Sean
  • tristanCarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    The change you made to the saddle is much better than the original. From what I can tell, it looks like the anatomy is really good so no problem there, and you have very logical placement and connection for the armor. The part that probably bugs me the most are the straps wrapping around the horse's chest, as they are extremely flat and that could be another great area to bring interest to the silhouette. Can't wait to see the low poly and texture.
  • sean_rodrigues
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks TristanCarter, I took your suggestion and put some dangling bits of shielding hanging from the strap that wraps around the chest above the forelegs.

What do you think?

Sean
  • jaydon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaydon polycounter lvl 6
    Looking great man.
  • sean_rodrigues
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TristanCarter, what polycount would you consider a lo polycount for the horse?

Thanks, Jaydon. How did you do the hair for your Yeti? I like it, I'd like to put some tufts of hair on the hooves of the horse.

Sean
  • sean_rodrigues
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fleshed out some of the details in the sketch. Still trying to figure out what to do with the saddle details. I'm leaning toward jagged seems and thick stitches.

Critiques are welcome,

Sean
  • sean_rodrigues
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a pass on the hair and saddle.

Critiques are welcome,

Sean
  • sean_rodrigues
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edited the tail and rear hooves hair. And flared the nostrils.

Critiques are welcome,

Sean
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    this character is very well designed. did you use someones concept?

I think the head is not long enough. the hooves also seem a little small but im not sure. the folds from the bag should be more continuous and flow down to the upper middle of the bag. i understand that there is stuff in the bag but it should still be more flowy. the wrinkles on the horses legs are too flat and abrupt. think about adding skin buildup around the wrinkles so they dont just look like slashes. the tail hair is too clumped up, it looks like its been gelled and clumped together which is kinda gross looking but maybe thats what you are going for? overall good job though
  • sean_rodrigues
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for looking at the post, Macattackk. I modeled the horse from a Mustang image. The head is pretty darn close to the proportions of a mustang. I'll definitely, do a second pass at the wrinkles on the sack. The wrinkly flesh you were mentioning are not wrinkled flesh. It was supposed to be scars from old battles. Hmmmmm....Maybe I need to sculpt better detail..or maybe the texture pass will complete the idea. I'll definitely look into this.

Thanks for the critiques.

Zbrush is telling me my Virtual memory is not enough to continue working on this sculpt. I have 8GB of ram. Can I edit some settings to increase the amount of ram so I can continue?

O' and how do I upload images to this post so it will keep a large image of the previous post? I'm using the paperclip icon to attach an image, but the image is small when posted. I have to use the insert image icon with the mountains to link the image from my website.

Sean
  • sean_rodrigues
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made some edits to the skull above the stirrup strap, the flags, the sack, and the eye holes on the helmet.

Critiques are welcome,

Sean

WarHorse.jpg
  • sean_rodrigues
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the enemy the rider on the warhorse will be attacking. It's still rough. I thought it would be something to show and get some critiques on. I'm still designing the rider.

Critiques are welcome,

Sean
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    very nice work!
  • sean_rodrigues
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Aga22, I feel I need to change the head up some more. Maybe change the head dress.

Sean
  • sean_rodrigues
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is an update to the rider.

Critiques are welcome,

Sean
  • AlphaMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks cool, here is my critiques sorry if they seem knitpickish(yeah I made that word up).

Horse:
    a) Rear feet are a bit hyper-extended for a normal standing posture.
    b) Realistically the armor on the front legs would really hinder his ability to even walk.
    c) Neck needs more definition,
    Horse_Chin_Champ-_3big.jpg

Rider
    a) Spikes need something around the bases kind of like the horses spikes. Otherwise how were those spikes crafted?
    b) His pecks looks fatty yet his tummy looks very slim. His body type is kinda up in the air, is he hefty or fit or slim.
    c) Needs and elbow.
    d) Don't forget scabbards for the other swords!
    e) the folds in his pants, they need more gravity in them(does that make sense?) I linked sweatpants because that what they kinda look like to me, thick cotton.

T1rBmYXkXjXXaKeijb_094356.jpg_310x310.jpg

Opinions
    a) Does he really need to be wearing that much stuff?
    b) I feel like his soft figure makes him less intimidating.
    c) Demon head skull feels flat.
    d) Is that like sheep skin dread locks around his shoulder? Or feathers?
  • sean_rodrigues
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions about the horse and rider. A co-worker also had suggestions about the amount of weapons on the design. If two people that don't know each other have the same opinion, that it must be a good opinion. My co-worker suggested taking the 3 swords off the back and and put a greatsword on this back. I was going to put a sword on either side of the hips or maybe put a medium side hand ax on the hip. What do you think?

The armor on the horse's legs make the horse look battle ready. Most fantasy art has a bit of the absurd in it. I like the armor on the horse's legs, I'll keep it for now. The pose of the legs is just for modeling, the horse will be in a different pose with the rider.

I'll put some elbow wrinkles on the rider. Yep, the demon skull is flat, when it stuck out it just made the silhouette look strange. The fur is supposed to be nappy, oily, clumpy, bear fur. The pants are made of different animal skins sown together. Ya, I was going to put some steal toe plates with spikes on them, but I got lazy. You called me on my laziness; thanks.

Thanks for looking at the post, I hope you take a look at the next revision.

Sean
  • sean_rodrigues
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm done with the sculpting.

Critiques are welcome,

SeanWarHorse_Enemy.jpg
  • sean_rodrigues
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to pose them together, but the poly counts of the horse and rider are too large. When I import the horse into the rider file, Zbrush turns into a white screen then crashes. Would you happen to know a way to combine the two into one Zbrush file so I can pose them? I guess I could always pose them in 2 separate files and composite them together in Photoshop. But if there is a way to get two high poly sculpts into one file, that would be great. I have 8 gigs of ram, do I need more ram to allow Zbrush to handle more polys?

Sean