Home Technical Talk

ZBrush - Not enough Depth to the Alpha

Hi All,

I have a quick question about getting an alpha design to have plenty of depth when it is applied to a plane in ZBrush.

I have been attempting to stamp my alpha design onto a plane in ZBrush using Projection Master as per the first couple of minutes of this tutorial: http://eat3d.com/free/zbrush_stone

My issue is that I cannot get my alpha design to have nearly the amount of depth as the one in that tutorial. When I use Projection Master, it comes out very shallow, and ramping up the Z Intensity does nothing to help it.

Here is my alpha:
GYhCM.jpg

Amd here is the shallow projection that I keep getting:
C9DRL.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    zIntensity should be affecting your projection. Perhaps you're expecting too much displacement from the projection? Out of curiosity, what happens if directly after applying the projection, you run the command for repeat last? I believe the 1 key was the shortcut for this, but it might have changed. if that doesn't work, apply the alpha to the standard brush, change the brush mode to Drag Rectangle and try doing that? Repeat last will definitely work that way.
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Tried your alpha with zbrush alpha with dragrect with 100 intensity working good, tried in projection master, same with 100 and it is working good. Make sure you are not working on a layer with the slider set to a low intensity... just an idea ohh and another one, look if the intensity of the alpha in the alpha pallete is set to 0.
  • skullmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your responses, guys :)I have not yet tried repeat last action, but before trying this method I tried using an alpha on the standard brush and dragrect as you mentioned. The problem I had with this is that it seemed to warp the alpha. It made it rounded and very jagged on the edges as well. I can't get a picture right now, but I will when I get back home.

As far as the intensity of the layer and alpha, the layer intensity is set to 1 and the alpha intensity is on 0. When I turn the alpha intensity up to 1, the alpha becomes straight black and white , with no gradient in between. So I can't really use my alpha that way.

Sorry, I am away from my computer at the moment but I will add more images when I get back.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Based on the first few minutes of the tutorial, I think I see where the problem is. Don't draw your initial stroke too small. You can resize it later which is awesome and all, but you have to pay attention where you click on the gyro and how it works. If you draw the stroke too small that basically sets the initial depth of the stroke, and re-scaling it by clicking on the blue ring like the tutorial suggests doesn't change that axis. Either draw big to get the depth you want, or scale it by clicking in the gap between the rings.

gyro_scale.jpg
  • skullmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes! That is exactly what I was trying to figure out! Thank you very much, cryrid :)