Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mushroom/Coral Forest

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
OnionCake polycounter lvl 6
I don't post often, but I'd like to have a go at tracking my progress while creating an environment.

I've been considering a Mushroom/Coral forest scene for quite some time now, and I'm getting to the point where I've got to get some real planning before jumping in. I'll be doing this in UDK. Probably start Zbrushing some of the larger assets this weekend.

At the same time, I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what I want to do for the major foliage besides the mushrooms. I started with trees, but I'm going to do a second concept with giant pipe coral as the major landmarks. Keep in mind this will all be above-ground, so I was wondering if that would be a bit too offsetting ? I'm also very tempted to do some of the landscape as table coral.

All the textures will be stylized/hand-painted, but will also have a sculpted Normal to back them up. I'm not entirely sure how that will look, and if it looks terrible, I'll just drop the normal map and keep it more cartoony. Hopefully the painterly feel will hold it's own once it gets into 3D.

Anyways, Here's where I'm at:

Coral Reference:
Coral_Reference_COMP.jpg

Mushroom Reference:
Mushroom_Reference_COMP.jpg

Also, this sweet website that allowed me to learn more about Mushrooms than I ever wanted: http://www.mushroom-appreciation.com/types-of-mushrooms.html

Concept 1:
mushroomForest.jpg

Detail Sheet 1:
detail_sheet1.jpg

Replies