Home General Discussion

Sites to Buy/Sell 3D Models

Biomechd
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Biomechd polycounter lvl 9
Hello. Does anyone know of any websites to upload/sell 3D models? I'm looking for a place to make a little money that will pay the purchase price upon download. I don't want to do a monthly thing where I have to wait until the following month to get the money made from downloads in the present month, or do a weekly thing of similar manner.

Also, I'd like to know what people seem to be wanting more than other things, what's most popular in the downloads, etc. I can't really make much money if nobody's needing what I put up for sale. I particularly specialize in firearms, but firearms seem to be priced fairly cheap and don't seem to be getting very many downloads.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, and I thank anyone willing to take the time to read this post and comment with a reply.

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    ^Been thinking this myself, everyone takes a cut though.
    Some have been just selling from their site to get 100% profit, but how would anyone find the items if your site isn't the goto or popular site to find such assets.

^Then Its what happens to the price do you match other sites/peoples prices or put what you want for the items?
  • Biomechd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm trying to earn my worth in the house so it can no longer be said that I don't do anything since I haven't really been interested in getting a job until now. Ever since I started modeling 5 years ago, I've always thought it would make a cool first job (and grant some bragging rights) if I started selling my models on the internet instead of being a flipper boy at McDonald's or something. After looking around, I've been seeing that people are selling things for a few dollars to a few HUNDRED dollars. As I've said in my OP, I don't want to wait until next week or next month to get the money made from selling my artwork. I want it sitting in a bank account or PayPal account or whatever the second someone clicks the "Buy" button.

In addition to which sites are doing this, I also wouldn't mind if anyone has any tips to share that may help me to get more money quicker. I've been thinking selling a high-poly as well as a game-mesh version of things might be helpful in that. What about selling individual things and then also selling model packs at a bulk discount for all models included?
  • Nick G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    selling a high-poly as well as a game-mesh version
    High poly might be useful if customer wants to bake his own normal/AO maps for engine he is using.
    What about selling individual things and then also selling model packs at a bulk discount for all models included?
    As long as models seem to come from the same set.
    Like traffic cones and street signs would make a good pack.

But feel free to disregard what i'm typing here :)
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    unity asset store?
  • Biomechd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm afraid I don't use Unity, frell. I'm a Blender user. I suppose I could try exporting to other file formats, but I know exporter scripts aren't always accurate, and tend to trash textures or something.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Biomechd wrote: »
    I'm afraid I don't use Unity, frell. I'm a Blender user. I suppose I could try exporting to other file formats, but I know exporter scripts aren't always accurate, and tend to trash textures or something.

Don't talk about a program unless you know what it is, use google, it is your friend. Unity isn't a modeling application, it is a game engine. And it has a store you can sell assets made from any 3d application.

http://unity3d.com/unity/asset-store/
  • Biomechd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    Don't talk about a program unless you know what it is, use google, it is your friend. Unity isn't a modeling application, it is a game engine. And it has a store you can sell assets in made from any 3d application.

http://unity3d.com/unity/asset-store/

You're quick to scold, ZacD. When I saw "game engine" on their website, I thought it was like UDK and went back to my project in Blender because I don't want to learn a whole new modeling program just to sell models. I'll look into the site more after I finish part of this model I'm working on.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    He's scolding because your dismissing good advice. As far as i remember Unity can import blends directly. you just save into the assets folder and it will import it for you.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    You're quick to scold, ZacD. When I saw "game engine" on their website, I thought it was like UDK and went back to my project in Blender because I don't want to learn a whole new modeling program just to sell models. I'll look into the site more after I finish part of this model I'm working on.

You're still not understanding.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master

Please read: http://unity3d.com/unity/editor/importing
    Thank you.
  • Biomechd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frell wrote: »
    You're still not understanding.

Fletch made it more clear, but thank you.

As for Unity, it's cool and something I may decide to submit to after a bit, but for now I'm looking for a website that will pay me immediately after someone purchases a model. Now, though, I'm starting to think that perhaps a weekly thing will suffice if no pay-on-purchase options are available. I'd rather not wait a whole month if I don't have to.

Again, I thank everyone for their advice, and I'm not dismissing any of it. I'd just like to know if there are any pay-on-purchase sites that I can go to before I start reading through weekly/monthly sites.
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    ive just signed up to 3docean its part of the envato network which sells pretty much everything digital

it seems to take a while to get to a point where you earn the maximum of 70% (starts to 50% and gradually climbs until you get enough sales)

but so far ive had one texture approved - no sales yet - but it was only a few days ago and ive uploaded more for approval

overall i like the site, seems pretty trustworthy and its part of this huge network as i mentioned so i can put my other digital efforts up there too
  • Biomechd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How funny, MephistonX. I was looking at that site just a couple days ago. Still have it open in a tab, in fact.
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well you might as well try to get a model on there if its accepted carry on if not try another place - have you got an examples of completed work that you were thinking about selling ?
  • Biomechd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, I don't have anything already prepared. I'm working on a Glock 19 right now. Once I get the modeling portion done, I'm going to look into unwrapping UV's and then I'm going to send them to someone I know who's a good 2D artist but is pretty confused with 3D art programs' GUI's. I've never been much into texturing, so I figured I could just have her do all of that for me. Then all I have to do is project the finished textures onto the high-poly and see how it turns out.
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but it seems you need to do a bit more practicing & learning before you consider selling anything.
    Firstly you want to be a modeller, then you will need to learn to texture it goes hand in hand, getting someone who doesn't understand 3D modelling to texture your model will result in a pretty bad texture. By all means ask that person to critique your work aesthetically, but unless they understand how UV mapping works, you will probably both end up being confused.
    Also you would want to project the texture onto your low poly model not the high poly model - I suggest looking at some tutorials or buying some basic 3D modelling books and practice like mad - then show your work to other modellers, like here on polycount, and when people start to give you a thumbs up then you can start thinking about selling your work.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    No, I don't have anything already prepared. I'm working on a Glock 19 right now. Once I get the modeling portion done, I'm going to look into unwrapping UV's and then I'm going to send them to someone I know who's a good 2D artist but is pretty confused with 3D art programs' GUI's. I've never been much into texturing, so I figured I could just have her do all of that for me. Then all I have to do is project the finished textures onto the high-poly and see how it turns out.

No one is going to pay for your stuff if it isnt quality and right now it doesnt sound like it's going to be. You should definitely learn how to do the work yourself. On top of that, I'm sure there are plenty of guns made on sites like turbosquid and similar sites that will probably be of higher quality. You definitely need quality and something that isn't already crowded in market like that.
  • cgtrader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgtrader polycounter lvl 7
    Hi Biomechd, you could try our trading platform CGTrader. We don't take commissions, our marketplace is more like Ebay, where every author has his own shop and receive payments directly from customers. After sale authors activate their products, that is, pay a small $5 fee, to put sold products back on sale.

You also will find statistics that shows which model categories, search keywords are more popular and help you decide what to model for sale.

Let me know if you have any questions.
  • Biomechd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the reply, cgtrader. Is it possible to see what models are being bought the most? Like, 3docean allows you to see what models are priced at, and then under the price is the number of sales for that model.
  • cgtrader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgtrader polycounter lvl 7
    At the moment exact models and sales are not shown, but in the future we plan to show more detailed information about which product types are in deficit. For now, you can see which categories are more popular.