Home Technical Talk

Portfolio Websites

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
two_larsens polycounter lvl 6
Hello,

It probably isn't for this section of the forums, but perhaps it'll do. I'm putting together all my various assets for my portfolio, and what it is coming down to is the website, so I can get out there.
I have a host, and in that framework are many different tools for making a site. However, what do you (if you have one) do or use for making a website. I'm thinking it should be nice (no slob or blog-looking site) and I am absolutely not interested in cutting any corners, but I am though interested in getting on with this without reinventing the wheel. There should be something for screenshots, information and movie clips.

Any suggestions for what to use as a website builder, or anything pertinent to this? I hope so. Thanks for any help.

HL

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    I'm working through redesigning my site and working on some of the same things with pretty much the same goal plus some animations and tutorials. I'm not that big into web design but I've been using Adobe Muse but I'm not sure I'll stick with it because I'm not a fan of their pricing structure. But still it makes site creation a breeze.

Until I get it up and running I've been using www.carbonmade.com it's pretty painless, looks decent and is easy to update from anywhere so you might want to check it out.
  • tristamus
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Carbonmade.com, 100% legit. Super easy, super simple presentation methods, and VERY easy to constantly update and customize. Plus, free, or you can pay $12 a month and have larger images and more custom options. I use it myself.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    carbonmade, or just coding your own, for a portfolio you dont need anything special, more or less just a list of images and some text, so very easy to do in pure html, which is just a markup language and very easy to understand even for those that aren't coders
  • tristamus
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    passerby wrote: »
    carbonmade, or just coding your own, for a portfolio you dont need anything special, more or less just a list of images and some text, so very easy to do in pure html, which is just a markup language and very easy to understand even for those that aren't coders

This is all true, but I must say that, personally, I have done this (Twice, recreating it on my own with dreamweaver and code), and I got very tired of updating it every time I had new art. Trust me, it get's old quickly.

As an artist, focus on the art, not the website. Get carbonmade or wordpress.
  • two_larsens
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so far. Those are some great tips, and as said: focus on the art, not the website. It is important with a nice site, and I will aim for that, but I'm getting antsy to take the next step. Knowing me, that I will probably end up fussing with as well :) Anyway, if there are more suggestions please pipe away. It'll probably be another month before I get to that stage, but the more the merrier. And also, whatever is on here is bound to help others in the same shoes.

Thanks,

HL
  • alexdubbeat
    Offline / Send Message
    alexdubbeat polycounter lvl 8
    If you know how to code i`d suggest this free app. I`m always using it when i need to make some html/css coding. :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Thanks so far. Those are some great tips, and as said: focus on the art, not the website. It is important with a nice site, and I will aim for that, but I'm getting antsy to take the next step. Knowing me, that I will probably end up fussing with as well :) Anyway, if there are more suggestions please pipe away. It'll probably be another month before I get to that stage, but the more the merrier. And also, whatever is on here is bound to help others in the same shoes.

Thanks,

HL
    One other thing that hasn't been mentioned, remember where portfolios came from. Back before the web, it was a large black book with your work inside, that was it. It was as unremarkable as it could be made and really only for the protection and delivery of your work from point A to B.
    PortfolioCases.jpg
    Maybe with a little bit of style but the focus was all on the work inside.

People didn't spend 8 months bedazzling the front of their portfolio because it was the pieces inside that mattered. Well... lets be honest some people did and they might have even landed jobs despite their bedazzling skills.

There has been a push to get back to that and for those people that keep it simple and let the work do the talking it normally works out really well, provided the art has something to say.
  • two_larsens
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, that is what I intend - to let the work speaks for itself. I know it has to be looked at quickly without wading through too many distractions. In previous post, I meant what to end up with, and learning it.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I sort of agree with Mark here - simple folios are the way to go. But simple design isn't the same as no design at all. Joe Keller's site is pretty nice example how you can keep it simple and yet add some style. Ben Regimbal also managed to get a unique look for his site with the arrangement of the thumbs. So there's no need for big guns like Flash or Dreamweaver to make a decent website that's easy to update.

Sure, if your art is great then you can just throw it all in a folder somewhere and people will think "wow, great art!". If it's mediocre they'll most likely think "...and he didn't even bother about presenting this properly" i.e. people may get the perception that you have no pride in your work - or that you just don't give a damn. And you never know who takes the initial look at a folio (I know of places where HR does that, to sort out absolute crud!)

Keep it simple, keep it nice, but most importantly, stick to functional design. Make sure it works on all browsers, make sure your contact info is there, make sure images include your contact info, make sure the site uses no plugins. If it looks nice and is easy to update on top of that, then it's mission accomplished.