Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Beginning

Hey folks.

Just thought I would start showing some of my work. It's probably mostly going to be terrible, but i would really love to hear some thoughts or tips.

tumblr_m9n3kyeoLJ1rz3ci6o1_500.png

Hope you enjoy.

- Point

Replies

• Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    It's a sci-fi gun, right?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    It's a jumbly mess, that's what I see.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Snader wrote: »
    It's a jumbly mess, that's what I see.

Whats up with users just coming into threads and bashing people as of late? This forum is about helping people and giving feedback, no matter the skill level. If you have nothing helpful to say to the OP than don't say it all. Simple as that.

As for the thread. It would help if you let us know what you are trying to model and post some reference. Also the picture is a tad small to really see what is going on.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I consider it useful feedback to tell someone I don't even have a clue what I'm looking at. Generally, it's considered a bad thing if you can't see what something is. But maybe that's just a European habit...
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    what is this? i reckon this is some kind of a cycle?
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    I consider it useful feedback to tell someone I don't even have a clue what I'm looking at. Generally, it's considered a bad thing if you can't see what something is. But maybe that's just a European habit...

I dont know what I am looking at either but this doesn't help anybody at all.
    "It's a jumbly mess, that's what I see."

This does.
    "It would help if you let us know what you are trying to model and post some reference. Also the picture is a tad small to really see what is going on"

and you don't make new people to the forum and to 3D feel like shit.

Normally I would just ignore a post like yours, but they seem to be happening a ton more as of late, even from users like your self that have been around here for a while.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    The topic creator might have bothered to include some form of description. As it stands, it really is a jumbly mess. Not exactly a bad-looking mess though.

On a more serious note: I'm telling you its a sci-fi gun. Bet you 100 bucks.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    i'll take that bet! While i see it channeling the ever impressive elephant gun I'll bet it's some sort of ground vehicle - land speeder type thing.

Guess that silhouette!

"It's a jumbly mess" is an accurate crit, if not a terribly detailed or specific one. I don't think it was meant to be insulting or demeaning in any way. One takes what they get and everybody has their way of delivering their thoughts. No hard feelings, folks - lets not turn this guy's post into a flame war...

OP: if it's not immediately clear what you're presenting a little more description would help us help you help yourself...in a helpful way.

also: regardless of what it is it's clearly a hard surface kind of object and a lot of the edges aren't quite straight enough to make it look properly manufactured. Ref or description would help - maybe it's meant to be stylized (which isn't reinforced well with the silhouette) or maybe you'll indicate with the materials something that makes sense - maybe the plates of metal are hammered out by hand - but failing something like that it's waaaay too wobbly on some of the edges and curves
  • JDunay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to start such a war. So I think that I owe you a much more information.

I'm creating an conceptual jet engine. But correct it is just a jumble at the moment. The left most piece is the exhaust/exit. It has no innards and that is what is the biggest problem. I just dont know how much detail I should have on the inside. Maybe i should have spent a little more time on the concept to flush things out a little more.

Take a look at the concept mesh for a little more understanding.

tumblr_m9nb52hrdQ1rz3ci6o1_500.png

Maybe this is too much of a WIP to post for crit. Like I said really just started with zbrush, but doesnt mean go easy ;). I like the harsh crits.

- Point
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you may have jumped into to high of a resolution to quickly. You should try to get the basics shapes in there before you start trying to add all the little details. I do not know if you are using sub tools or not, but it would help a lot have each of the parts as different tools so it didn't look so blobbly.

There is an awesome hard surface zbrush tutorial on Eat 3D's site I think, could be 3D motive maybe, I do not remember. It might be worth checking out.
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should step back and really nail down a concept. It doesn't read well as much of anything right now. I would personally look at pre-existing jet engines and start there before really changing how it looks. If you ground your concept in reality, it'll come across as much more identifiable.
  • JDunay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so moving on to something more polished, well my version of 'more polished.' Also I will try to better explain what this is and I also have a question or two for yall.

tumblr_m9r3418V3z1rz3ci6o1_1280.png

Explanation - I'm thinking that when I use this in an actual model its going to be mirrored and attached at the top. Probably need some sort of locking mechanism to make it more believable. This would create an sort of arc and then I'm hoping to use it as sort of a locking mechanism for a pipe. Something that would be attached to a wall and the pipe would run down the middle of it.

Questions
    1. When i see some examples of work, like [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ8-gkt8yi0"]here[/ame], is this being colored/textured outside of zBrush or is it all being done in it? If it is so, how do you assign different materials to different subtools? (like he has on the metal rings on the fat man) Does anyone have any good tutorials for polypainting?

2. This piece in the final production probably won't be very large at all, it's a smallish detail on this ship that I am designing. I have it currently in dynamesh, and my question is this, should I use the topology tool to recreate the surfaces to bring down the polycount and then bump the divisions back up to recreate some of the surface details? If you had an object like this in dynamesh, how might you proceed from where I have it, is what I would like to know. Pretty much, how do the pros do it?

thanks for all the feedback!
  • JDunay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a little quick sketch last night. I'm calling it desert robot.

tumblr_m9xvdhzRd91rz3ci6o1_1280.png

I have a timelapse but it's huge and long so I think I wont bore anyone with it. First try with polypaint and with a head so go easy. Also i has no eyes, thats probably throwing away a chance to make it look more like a robot.

Hope you like
    -point
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    I'd really like to see something actually moving toward finished...Everything you've shown has been intended as hard surface but has been exceedingly...squishy.
    I think the concept process is neat and you've got some cool shapes coming out of it...but they just don't work as hard surfaced objects. You're going to have to stick to something til the end if you're really going to learn how to make your current workflow succeed.