Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Characters, for my demo reel.

I am working on some characters for a game at my school, and for my demo reel. The style is suppose to be clean, and colorful. Think of Mirror's edge meets portal. The characters look like their concept. But I really want to make sure my textures look good. This is so far what I've got.

Characters:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/88685465/Wake%20Characters.png

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I would not put this in my portfolio
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master

I would not make blanket, unhelpful statements like this.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15

This forum is built around the idea that you provide feedback, not dumb shit like this. That post was useless and I'd encourage you to actually think about what you post before you post it.

Anyway.

JohnRogeles, I think you can do a few things to improve your presentation. First and foremost, I'd work on getting your character into some sort of natural pose if you're going to put it in a portfolio. This can be helpful for people viewing the portfolio because it will give a better idea of what the character would look like in a game.

When presenting a portfolio piece, it's often a good idea to do it on a reasonably dark, solid background. This helps give the viewer a good idea of what they're looking at, and makes it so the background isn't fighting with the character for your attention.

It appears the character is using all one smoothing group. This is fine for a lot of characters, though it looks like your normal maps were created with smoothing groups in mind. I'd suggest trying to get the smoothing right so your normals look the best they possibly can.

It looks like some areas of the character are probably supposed to glow, so I'd encourage you to make glow maps and apply them so we can get a better idea of how the final character will look.

If you're trying to emulate a certain style in your presentation, try looking at some of the lighting from the original to get a good idea of how you could light your character to make it feel like it's a part of that universe. Both Portal and Mirror's Edge have very distinct lighting, so try and get closer to the mood of them.

Finally, I'd really like to see some wireframes of your character so we can get a good idea of how it's constructed.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    hey, take it easy, dont be so hateful, im just trying to help

what im telling is, you simply dont want to put something that shows nothing but average skills into something which you want to land a job for you. You are a character artist, fine, where can i see some amazing knowledge of anatomy and other required skills like hard surface modeling for an armour or something?

So chill people, gosh
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, take it easy, dont be so hateful, im just trying to help

what im telling is, you simply dont want to put something that shows nothing but average skills into something which you want to land a job for you. You are a character artist, fine, where can i see some amazing knowledge of anatomy and other required skills like hard surface modeling for an armour or something?

So chill people, gosh

Nobody is being hateful, you're just posting useless bullshit. As Swizzle said, think about what you are posting BEFORE you post it. You are blatantly unhelpful and rude. Don't tell anyone their art shouldn't go into a portfolio without posting some useful crits or suggestions.

As for the character, I think the hard surface bits look kinda blobby and soft, but fixing the smoothing groups _may_ help that. Also, the color schemes with the stripes along the hard surface parts comes off as slightly noisy and doesn't really look coherent in my opinion.

I would focus on really cleaning up the normals and bakes to make sure all your hard surface bits look crisp and clean before moving on to the textures!

Good luck!
  • Bishop313
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bishop313 polycounter lvl 9
    This image shows me color variations of your charakter. For a portfolio it´s more a bonus. I think the best way to present a charakter on your portfolio, is to take focus of one of them and set him into a nice interesting pose. The viewer should see all of him from a close distance in a good light. Maybe there are nice details u like and want to take the focus on. The T pose is good to show wireframes (front and back). And a must have are also the textures. Try to render him in Realtime. My favorit is the Marmoset Toolbag tool, but you can also use UDK, CryEngine or Unity 3D.

Keep it up!
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Hey, this is a good start, but just a few tips:

Think about the overall theme and design of your characters. Try to use repetitive shapes that will act as motifs in the over all design, and also try to have breaks on your design. What I'm seeing right now is very somewhat continuous and not enough "big reads" on the upper torso and the leg area(your grays tend to blend together, use some edging on your textures).

Also think about edges. Everything seems to be kind of in this clay like material you have. The edges on the armor do not scream out plating or hard surfaces. I suggest to revisit your armor modeling and fix this. Texturing your edges properly would also add a lot in how it reads.

Color. Your design lacks a bit of readable geo that would be discernible from a distance. Remember that game-res is much smaller than we perceive it to be. Big blocks of color will differentiate different parts of the body, and as well as have it to be readable from far. Also keep your color schemes to a certain limit that works well with each other. I suggest looking up that DOTA2 pfd from the Steam Workshop. It's a guide on how to have effective character designs for that game.

As for presentation, rig your models and pose them to have a bit of personality to them. It's really not that hard to learn rigging and skinning and you would have to learn it anyways in order to know what is a good way of modeling limbs at certain circumstances. For poses, try to draw your character's personality on paper and proceed from there.

Good luck, mang.
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    I agree with garriola, the armor itself looks very soft to me, theres nothing hard about it. also, it kind of looks like you can see some of the brush strokes in the model itself. I would also think about making the armor pieces look more seperated, right now they look like they are all sewn together in sense. i would also say to add more lighting information in the texture, especially the abdomen piece, it looks very flat. i also feel like you could vary these up a bit model wise, just with small props and different cuts in the armor. i would also add some battle damage to it, unless its supposed to be really clean in that aspect.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What everyone else said pretty much. I don't know a fat lot about character modelling, but rather than T-posing its best to model in a relaxed pose, rather than the un-natural t-pose. Reason is that by modelling a character in a forced t-pose shape you make life hard for yourself once it comes to rigging. It may cause alot of pinching around the shoulder - torso - armpit area.
  • JohnRogeles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for the feed back! From reading all of your comment you guys have given me the confidence to post more of my work on here. You all have helped me learn a lot just from reading what you all have said. And I agree with all of you. The whole character has soft normals. I was hoping my normal map would give me the hard edges I need. And I can not wait to pose him as well. An animation buddy of mine is currently working on the rig. I am doing a lot of the assets for this game so I haven't been able to come back to the character yet. I will soon of course and apply all that you have suggested and taught me. Thanks so much Everyone.