Home General Discussion

Best texture software for games texturing

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Eithne polycounter lvl 7
Hi all!
My name's Miriam, I'm new on Polycount.
I work as a texture artist for feature films but I really enjoy game's world and I'm very interested to improve my skills trying to create some characters with a different workflow from my current.
I was wondering what kind of software for texturing is more suitable for games?
Actually I make my textures using mudbox and photoshop, sometimes I use bodypaint, but for example I know that very big productions like to use Mari.
Does anyone use zbrush?
Is there a software more useful/suitable for texturing in game's industry?

Cheers

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    A lot of people use zBrush. Otherwise, you're in the right direction for software to use.

There really isn't an alternative to Photoshop in this industry - at least not a complete alternative - so stick with that. Mud/ZB is just personal preference.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Photoshop is bread'n'butter. Mari is getting a foothold from what I hear. ZBrush is also pretty wide spread. I'd say more widespread than Mari because unlike Mari it's not an extra license to buy. Mudbox is also a good contender.

A lot comes down to what software the studio has already bought. If they have tons of Mudbox seats and you're a Zbrush person, then you'll have to learn to live with Mudbox.

If you're asking what's best for you: that depends what you like best! all programs have strengths and weaknesses.

If you're concerned about the industry, then Photoshop, Zbrush/Mudbox are pretty much standard and you cannot go wrong looking into those.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    All are applicable, depending on the studio.

You'll find the only thing that matters is results.

That said, the HUGE difference between Games and Film, is we tend to iterate in production, rather than pre-production. There's a tendency to make tons of changes DURING production, including complete redesigns, and often changes based on game-play feedback.

With that said, the standard is generally considered to be Photoshop, due to increase in the ability to iterate.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All good replies. We also have a list here FWIW.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryTools#Popularity
  • Eithne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eithne polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys, thank you so much for your super exhaustives answers!

I was thinking to explore zbrush's texturing features, for I'm looking for a smart workflow to start my first attempt to make a game's character, and I thought that perhaps If I could do 90% of my model/texture in the same software (zbrush in my case) would be perfect.
    From your feedbacks I see that this is not only possible, but is pretty much the standard.

Now I've a much clear idea of my possibilities!:poly142:
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    I think u should start and master Photoshop as well as a 3d package beffor messing around with any 3d painting or sculpting programs.
  • Eithne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eithne polycounter lvl 7
    Hi roosterMAP, the fact is that I already use photoshop, but the pipeline where I work is based on Mudbox+Photoshop.
    I asked my question to see if there is a package preferred by 3d artist in game industry and eventually if I could use zbrush instead of mudbox (also because I own zbrush licence..). I also find fun and challenging change my workflow sometimes, based on the result to be achieved.... :)
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 17
    you might want to check out 3dCoat. its a 3d painting tool that is mostly developed for game developers. it also does retopology, and is fairly inexpensive so you might be able to convince a company to buy you a copy if all they have is zbrush and photoshop.