Home General Discussion

New person with no clue :P

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie to this and I am after a bit of advice for my younger brother, he is interested in doing something within the gaming industry for his career, he is 14 and loves games!

Having looked through various posts I have seen that alpt of work is self taught rather than courses, but having no idea where to start/point him I would appreciate any advice.

I have bought him a few books that have a cd which teach some sort of game/computer programming, but know that he should learn languages.

What languages would you suggest he learns? Also where can I get this sort of thing from?

Steph

Replies

• McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    It really depends on what area of computer games development he wants to do, is it art, programming, audio etc. Computer games is not just coding, as we here should know. ;)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well... you aren't going to get much programing help here, this is mostly a forum for artists (who normally run screaming when you mention code). There are a few code warriors floating around but they are mostly technical artists who straddle the line and develop tools for artists to use instead of full blown games. Still they might be able to point you in the right direction.

You might want to hit up www.tech-artist.org and ask the same question they might be able to point you in the right direction.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    A good place to start, if you're looking at game-programming I mean, is maybe something like this:
    http://eat3d.com/unrealscript

Which would work with UDK (which is free). Should cover the basics, and give him a taste of what everything looks like and feels like. If he ever decides to keep going with programming, there are more advanced Unrealscript stuff, and if he decides to take it seriously later on, he could just go get a Computer Science degree in college. If he does all this and decides he wants to be an artist, then just send him here.
  • Steven3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello
    smills88 wrote: »
    What languages would you suggest he learns? Also where can I get this sort of thing from?

It mostly depends on what he want do and how?

If he want develop from scratch, then maybe Python + Pygame, or Lua as beginner. or want he develop games with using an existing engine? Then the UDK, Unity or CrySDK 3 would fit.

Greetings
    Steven3D
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    gamedev.net is a good place to start as well, especially if his interests don't lie specifically in art.

For someone interested in game Design, learning Flash (especially with extensions like Flixel), Unity, UDK, Multimedia Fusion 2, or GameMaker are all reasonably light-on-programming/scripting methods to start working on game design.

For art and animation, all you really need is a 3d program and Photoshop (or other 2d editor). Blender and The Gimp are free which make it easy to start dabbling.

For programming, you'll want to learn the same engines as Design, but also at some point pick up a programming language and write more complex "real" code. A good entry is Microsoft Game Studio with C#, I believe that IDE is free or very cheap and the Game Studio IDE comes with a bunch of libraries that make it easy to get something together quickly and learn easily.

These are all areas to dabble in - after trying all of those out he should have a better idea of what he wants to do, and can move on from there.
  • smills88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies, I dont think he knows what area he would like at the moment, I was trying to look at what he should take for his exams and suggested art which he is taking.

Sorry for being dim but I do accounts so I assumed that the graphics/things that are created for the games were done using some sort of computer language. He has no sort of computer experiance(or creating thing etc.), so just trying to give him all areas so he can give it a go, so he can decide on what area he actually likes. And if he doesnt actually like any of it at least he can change his mind on his career before he gets to A levels/Uni.

I will ask the other forums and see what they come back with :)
  • 3DFM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I were you I'd make sure that he really wants to work creating videogames. I've seen countless people who love games try to get into the industry only to find out that the process of creating one is far from playing a game. That, in turn, often leads to them burning out/getting bored and pursuing another craft.
  • smills88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks 3DFM, thats why I am trying to get him to do it now so if he doesnt like it then at least he can change his mind before its too late! I am not sure if he is just saying it as he thinks it will be easy/fun and will get to play games all day!

Having made the mistake when I was his age, and now I am doing a 4 year accountancy qualification, I wish that I had made the right decision at his age then I would have already been qualified by now!

Well of to research the suggestions, but my Mum is worried that he is going to blow up the computer by playing with it :D Oh well I dont live there so I wont get shouted at !
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie to this and I am after a bit of advice for my younger brother, he is interested in doing something within the gaming industry for his career, he is 14 and loves games!

Having looked through various posts I have seen that alpt of work is self taught rather than courses, but having no idea where to start/point him I would appreciate any advice.

I have bought him a few books that have a cd which teach some sort of game/computer programming, but know that he should learn languages.

Steph

Interesting. A CD that teaches one game programming!! =\

Is he interested in game programming or game development as a whole.

You are on the right path if you believe that he requires to learn coding before moving forward to stuff like learning the game engine and 3d arts.

For Languages you can get the material online and I strongly suggest your brother should start reading up on C++ and C# the basics for now until he completely understands them. He should also start learning Linear Maths or practicing them.

Programming Topics for basics should cover up the following:

-DLLs and namespace import, Data Types, Variables, Simple code that executes," Hello World!."
    -Console Read, Console Write.
    -Unified Modeling Language.
    -Conditional statements.
    -Functions, Classes, Inheritance.
    -Arrays and Pointers.
    -There are more topics but these ones (in my understanding,) cover the basics of programming. Be it C++ or C#.

Sources:
    http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/variables/
    www.dreamincode.net
    www.gamedev.net

If he just wants to jump in and play with the tools.

He can start learning Unity:
    http://unity3d.com/

By watching video tutorials on the youtube or the ones on their website.

Or he can download Unreal Development Kit:
    http://epicgames.com/

and learn it by watching video tutorials on the youtube or the ones on their website.

If he wants to code games, after learning the and practicing programming he can play with Ogre3d:
    http://www.ogre3d.org/

and learn it from their Wiki or buy introductory books such as "Introduction to 3d game programming with Directx 9.0 by Frank D. Luna." if C++ or "Managed DirectX 9: Graphics and Game Programming (Kick Start) by Bob Gaines, if C#.

EDIT:

For Maths:

"3d Math Primer for graphics and game development by Fletcher Dunn and Ian Parberry" and "Mathematics for game game developers by Christopher Tremblay."

Or online resources found on either Gamedev.net or Dreamincode.net

Prerequisites:

-Manipulating Algebraic Expressions.
    -Theorems and Laws.
    -Functions and Variables.
    -Basic 2d Euclidian Geometry.
    -Trig.

This was the starting point for me.

EDIT 2: If your brother just wants to develop the game he can just learn one of the game engines / editors said above and not necessarily need to learn any coding or review maths.
  • smills88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Nitewalkr, I will have a look at those as well, the book that came with a cd, was free trials to some programs, and by following the book the whole way through you end up creating a video game.

Thought it was a start for him to see what he thought, i think it was game programming for teens by maneeth something!

Well at least it gives me an idea of where I can point him and he can see what he enjoys.

Thanks for everyones help :)
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    If he has ZERO idea right now what he wants to do:

Maybe get him these games:

Little Big Planet 2
    Starcraft 2
    Crysis

And get him to make levels in the level editor that comes with the game. He'll get a little bit of an understanding of what it might be like to MAKE games over playing them.

For a lot of people, dabbling with level editors can be a LOT like playing around with handi-cams to find out if you like making movies. He might gravitate towards game/level design. What's great is the low barrier to entry for this.

:)

Wish him luck!
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    If he has ZERO idea right now what he wants to do:

Maybe get him these games:

Little Big Planet 2
    Starcraft 2
    Crysis

And get him to make levels in the level editor that comes with the game. He'll get a little bit of an understanding of what it might be like to MAKE games over playing them.

For a lot of people, dabbling with level editors can be a LOT like playing around with handi-cams to find out if you like making movies. He might gravitate towards game/level design. What's great is the low barrier to entry for this.

:)

Wish him luck!

This is a great idea and I second this. The starcraft 2 level editor, for example, has so many possibilities(you can make entirely different games) and if he likes it he could get into more advanced programming and what not. Start with the basics!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I agree with Jacque. Little big planet is probably the most accessible game for "creating games". It's for PS3.

Also, Torchlight for PC comes with the editor that the company used to make the game. He can use the assets (props and such) that they used for the actual game and make his own levels and stuff. Or make new abilities, or characters. all that sort of stuff.

As for programming, I would suggest C# as the language to learn. It works great with Unity. Unity as so many others have suggested is a great place to start for actual game engines. Easy to use, and it comes with so many scripts (programs that tell the game what to do) as a starter, so he can get moving pretty quickly, if he follows the tutorials.

One thing people here havent mentioned, which shocks me, is that if he wants to get into the art side of things, he`ll need a program for modelling / animating. The majority of the industry uses 3d Studio Max or Maya. They have trial versions. Blender is a free program that a lot of beginners use to get the hang of things. Obviously I would suggest the first 2 first, but there is nothing wrong with blender. Just a different tool for the job. Max is the best modelling tool in the bunch, and Maya is better for Animating. I prefer Maya as an overall tool, but I am also an animator. Here are a couple of examples of what you can do in those programs (these are in maya and max)

There are so many different types of artist jobs in teh industry. Here a few of them.

Animating - You take a cahracter or object and move each limb around where you need it and blend it all together. Here is a video of posing a character out. This is the animators job. Note, they do not MAKE the characters. They only move them.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTQAOPhQLV4"]How to create pose-to-pose animation | lynda.com tutorial - YouTube[/ame]

And here is an example of a finished animation done by Barnev, who is a poster on these forums.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBZX8MvwV04"]gargantua monster game animation - YouTube[/ame]

Modelling - As you can see from these videos, they all do the same thing. The only difference is 3ds max and Maya are far more powerful. More tools and such. Maya also has a lot of simulation stuff, like water and physics and such. It's used in Film a lot.

3ds max
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PopWVsvPTWQ"]3Ds Max speed modeling a racing pod - YouTube[/ame]

Maya
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bvK2hWRjxE"]maya speed modelling - YouTube[/ame]

Blender
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pyrm1Vs6mc"]Blender Speed Model - Alien - YouTube[/ame]

Also, there is zBrush and Mudbox. These programs are meant for sculpting.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cq4kvP4BT0"]Freestyle speed sculpting in Zbrush - YouTube[/ame]

And then of course there is Unreal Development Kit which can be used for putting levels together, but also, they have a very strong Particle system used by FX artists. FX artists are the ones that make the fire, and water and spells and explosions and all that fun stuff that you see in games. Bullet hits, muzzle flare, etc etc. Here is an example of Particles by Morgan Snight (also a poster here).

[vv]37924546[/vv]

Also, I should mention, if you know VFX, you're pretty much garenteed a job. haha. There is a big shortage of people.

Eat3d also has some FANTASTIC tutorials to learn all this stuff. Same with gnomon workshop and 3dmotive. Just make sure you find a tutorial that is for the proper program he is learning in. You pay for them, but honestly, they are completely worth it. Maybe a birthday gift to him?

Anyways, my advice is to show him these videos, see if anything jumps out at him, and go from there. If he'd rather program, that's good too. But these are examples of the different art jobs within the industry. It's a much more serious industry than just playing games. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to get in. It can be a lot of fun, but you really need to have a passion for MAKING them. Not just playing them.

Also, one last thing.... Kudos for doing this for him. You are a fantastic sister for looking into all this for him. Since he is only 14, if he starts at this now, and really puts in the effort. Learned from tutorials and what not, he wouldn't even have to go to college / university if he makes a killer portfolio. Studios usually only look at how good your art is. If you have a good portfolio, you can get in right away. Though, there are lots of schools for it as well. Finding a good one is another question. But if he wants to be an artist in the industry, for highschool courses, I suggest sticking with art the entire way through. But, he should try programming as well. I know my school had a bunch of programming courses.

Anyways, good luck!
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are a few things I'd recommend for general programming related things,

First, for learning C++,
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Ivor-Hortons-Beginning-Visual-Programmer/dp/0470500883/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1346339574&sr=8-2&keywords=wrox+C++"]Amazon.com: Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2010 (Wrox Programmer to Programmer) (9780470500880): Ivor Horton: Books[/ame]

(focus on the unmanged C++ part, not CLR C++, CLR C++ is helpful for working between languages, especially C++ and C#)

and/or
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/C-Primer-Plus-5th-Edition/dp/0672326973/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1346339561&sr=8-5&keywords=C++"]Amazon.com: C++ Primer Plus (5th Edition) (0752063326978): Stephen Prata: Books[/ame]

For general computer science (in the C language, a very, very useful, fundamental language)
    http://www.extension.harvard.edu/open-learning-initiative/intensive-introduction-computer-science

For 3d-related math,
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mathematics-Programming-Computer-Graphics-Edition/dp/1435458869/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1346339490&sr=8-7&keywords=game+programming"]Amazon.com: Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics, Third Edition (8581033777777): Eric Lengyel: Books[/ame]

For engine-design, general game coding,
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Game-Coding-Complete-Fourth-Edition/dp/1133776574/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346339490&sr=8-1&keywords=game+programming"]Game Coding Complete,Fourth Edition: Mike McShaffry,David Graham: 9781133776574: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

For all the above and more,
    http://www.gamedev.net/page/index.html
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I'd say: before all else, give him game maker. Let him make an entire game by himself. Let him explore all roles: coder, artist, designer, audio, and all intermediate things - in one simple small package.

Don't have him jump straight into complex 3d environments like UDK or CryEngine. Unity is a bit better because it's not geared at FPS's, but it's still a more complex environment. Along the same lines, keep him away from things like C++ and 3dMax. It's all just much deeper and forces you to focus on a single aspect of the entire development process.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks Nitewalkr, I will have a look at those as well, the book that came with a cd, was free trials to some programs, and by following the book the whole way through you end up creating a video game.

Thought it was a start for him to see what he thought, i think it was game programming for teens by maneeth something!

Well at least it gives me an idea of where I can point him and he can see what he enjoys.

Thanks for everyones help :)

For the books that come with CD. You have to be a bit careful, it must contain the reference of the code prior to the book's outline. If its anything but that, it is not really worth it.

Mainly programming books are published with the reference CD or a website code because many coders or learners dont tend to practice by typing it on their own so they would rather just execute the code from the CD and see what happens. There were some books such as [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Isometric-Programming-DirectX-Development-Software/dp/0761530894"]this[/ame] that was a good read and good reference, but I never touched the CD.

You should ask your brother what he really wants. Programming can be a hectic challenge for him if he wants to take it to the game programming stage. If he wants to just learn some tool, most of the resources are free and available online for it.