Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Zergling - WIP

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
GoldBlackWolf polycounter lvl 12
Good morning, afternoon and evening :)

I was poking around my HDD and found a Zergling I had been making using a concept drawing by Sam Wise I had found on the net.

Anyway, I have just finished my degree in Computer Games Design, BSc (h) and figured it would a be a nice addition to my portfolio; so here I am going on my merry way to finish it off.

Nothing too fancy at the moment just had a bit of a play around with the base mesh in Zbrush.

ytHNa.jpg

Let me know your initial thoughts - if any.

Thanks,

Dan
a%3E

Replies

• GoldBlackWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just showing some progress.

a turntable (you will probably want to hit 720p):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPd3qAbiWBM&list=HL1345916899&feature=mh_lolz"]Zergling WIP - YouTube[/ame]
  • GoldBlackWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm winding down on the texturing (feels a touch too purple though). I'll be working on the lowpoly soon.

eXxaa.jpg

Q799A.jpg

uFHA5.jpg

LbRNq.jpg
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    Nice start. In general you'd want the warmer areas (nose, mouth, eyes) to be warmer than the cooler bony areas (elbows, spikey things)
  • turistainc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turistainc polycounter lvl 9
    Looks very rounded, not menacing enough, kinda like a Spore creature.
  • GoldBlackWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome bit 'o feedback there thankyou both. I'll work on this :)
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Alright, this is not the nothing like the zergling from the concept. Yeah a dickish thing to say, I know. But hold on.

What you have made so far is your idea of that zergling. I mean, you have the rough idea of the concept, but you haven't actually 'looked' at the concept. In a production environment your model would be tossed away. And I shall try to explain why and what needs improvement.

Right now you have the basic shape of the zergling, most people will even say: Yerp, that's a zergling.
    But having the basic shape anlone is not enough, right now it just isn't the zergling from that particular concept quite yet.

Turistainc rightly points out he's not menacing enough, all your shapes are too rounded. Look at the concept, and notice, while there are curved surfaces, almost everyting ends in a sharp point. Even the curves are broken up in slightly jagged edges.

You really need to dig in and push this more with the sculpting. Like I said, this is the basic shape of the zergling, now you need to push those forms. Forget about adding the skin details, its not yet time for that. Sculpt (or model) those big forms and shapes first. Notice that the mandibles for example are overlapping shells instead of the soft undefined form you have now.

Notice how the armor on his shoulder and leg are completely different shape and size from what you have now.
    Look at his head, and see that instead of this big plate you have now, it is made up out of many overlapping and fused scales.

Another thing is that he has huge spikes and 'blades' where as you have some small and round pointy bits that do not convey any sense of sharpness or agression.

Now I don't know how much developed you are with sculpting and such, but I think right now, it mostly is a case of looking properly at a concept and how to translate it into a model. Sure, most of the times a model will deviate from a concept because what works on paper doesn't always work in 3D. Or you have to fill in the blanks of the conceptart. But the idea is always to stay as close, or as complimenting to the concept as possible.

In the paintover I did, I outlined the areas of concern in red. These are the things that really define the concept and where your model is too far off. Then I added a paintover to hopefully show you what it should look like in 3D on your actual model. There still are plenty errors, and I didn't adjust any proportions(the proportions are mostly good).But you will see that example is already much closer to the concept. And thats without any actual detail sculpting or modelling. Just the big shapes.

zergling_feedback.jpg

I hope this helps and good luck :)
  • GoldBlackWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firstly pestibug, I wouldn't have posted this up on here If i didn't want the dickish answer ;) I have my mum to tell me its wonderful :D Secondly, I couldn't possibly take offence to a comment that is completely correct, especially when you have taken the effort to do me a paint over - it is very much appreciated thankyou!

I have spent this morning bashing the model about trying to develop it more into the harsher shapes you have outlined in the paint over. It's not finished by any means, but I think it's moving in a better direction so thankyou again :)

I6EVu.jpg

zvx0B.jpg

I posted the two up 'cause I played around after the first pic, but I goofed up on the lighting - oops
  • GoldBlackWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on it a bit more, the texture is just something I'm mucking about with. The pic is just where I'm up too plus a bunch of notes I made myself to change. If there is anything there I have missed or is particularly bugging someone let me know :)

Mf6X1.jpg
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, a shame not more people are replying at you or helping out. You are definately improving and learning and paying attention. Well, sir, good you are doing so :D

Now, lets talk about the model. I really, really like the fact you have carefully looked at my paintover and translated it to your sculpt. You might even have looked a bit too much at my paintover and not at the original conceptart hahaha. if you look carefully you can see there is some difference between what I drew and what is on the original concept art. Always try to stay as close to the original concept art, even when you get paintovers. ( a paint over is always a interpretation.)

Right, well so far I think you are very much on the right track, the big shapes are there, but you can still see there are some parts where your model differs from the concept (when I say concept I mean the original concept, not paintovers)

Take a step back and lets focus on getting all the basic stuff proper before moving on to the detailing.

Wings: If you look close at the concept (its a bit more ovious in my paintover) the lower wing actually seems to start at the shoulder, not behing his leg.

Legs: The shape of his legs is different, specially the foot part, try to match that closer to the concept. Also notice there seem to be two spikes on the back of his leg, and 1 reversed toe of sorts. Look carefully at the concept and you'll notice the difference.

Head: Look at the mouth, the teeth are much larger, and start directly underneath that headplate/ridge. There are no gums or anything. Remember, its a vicious bastard critter, these teeth are long, like needles and theres many of them.

After you fix these things, its time to look at the actual skin and detailing. What is skin, what is bone/exoskeleton? but first fix these basic things. You're well on your way :D
  • GoldBlackWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok. I'll crack on with the re-work. I would be lying to myself if I didn't say I had noticed some of the things you have outlined, though I don't know how I missed the smaller wing ¬_¬

The inverse toe was something I missed off as I couldn't workout out in my head how I would create a rig for it later on - so I just chopped it off :)

Cheers again pestibug - your input is very helpful and appreciated :)
  • GoldBlackWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have made it more angular, worked on the wings, head and feet - though I haven't repositioned the bone or its length to match the concept closer yet. taken allot of the little detail I had out (skin mostly) and tried to get the main shape right (except the foot as I said!).

I also Have had trouble with the teeth. The long thin needle like teeth just don't come across to well in 3d they just sort of blur into one mush in it's mouth(!?). So I have made these thicker sharp teeth and positioned them how the thinner teeth would sit leaving me some room to blend the skull/shell head with the roots of the teeth (like in the concept).

Here is where I am at now:

qqQK9.jpg

So over the next few hours of work I will be correcting the foot structure, tooth embedding and also reining in the armatures as I seem to have gotten carried away and made them rather large..

Cheers for looking, let me know what you think :)
  • GoldBlackWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update so far. Lots more still to do. I have blocked in the the rough shapes of the growths and lumpy parts of the body as a place holder for me to work on. I am rather liking my newer model certainly more pointy :)

sVEGD.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    UUGGGHH! THIS LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER!

Are you sculpting in ZBrush btw? (Personally wrestling myself about whether or not to drop the $440 USD for it)

Looking at the way you sculpted the claw, tbh, I don't like it. (The bigger, upper claws) They looks too flimsy at their attachment point to the flesh, and there's no indication that it can move up and down like a crab claw. I'd revert back to MrJack's way of doing the claw and keep it at a standard taper.

Otherwise, looking good! Still wish there were less smooth carapace elements. After talking to Samwise Didier, and at least with MrJack's style, the skin's either A. fused carapce, hard looking or B. Pus-looking, veiny flesh. Take a look at the Infested Marine art and it might give a better example.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Huge improvements, keep it up!
  • GoldBlackWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to you both.

The smooth parts do need the variation on them; and they will, just not yet :) aaand yes Jade' I am using Zbrush. I prefer it to other sculpting tools, no idea why I get on with it better, just feels more natural to sculpt with for me :)

Cheers for the tip on the infected marine too. I intend to collect a bunch of references for the smaller details like the attachment for the carapace. The armatures are looking thin 'cause I have enlarged the... "stabby bit"... I didn't change their thickness in the process, I can see what you see though :)
  • GoldBlackWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked a fair bit on the model now. It's looking pretty champ in comparison to the old model (well same model just reworked). As projects go its starting to drag on a little bit now, so I'm moving on the doing its retopology and animation. The texturing isn't complete; the wings you will notice aren't done and some of the spikes are just white but they shouldn't take super long to finish.

Here is where I am now:
    krI0F.jpg
    Underneath:
    iEmML.jpg
    I did a little turntable of it too:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKgBpghs07I"]Zergling remake, comparison - YouTube[/ame]
  • GoldBlackWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So it's been a while, I can honestly say I ended up working on this model for like an hour a week tops, so the progress was super slow. I re-top'ed it, set up a rig, skinned and I'm animating it at the moment. There are a few issues with the skeleton atm, the tail being one of the main issues. I haven't cleaned up the texture for it yet, nor have I applied its normal map and spec map. However; despite the many things I haven't done, I do have it in engine.

So, here is my progress so far... ( prepare for a thrown together video in glorious 720p :poly142: - try not to hate me too much)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONEWLZhLtGM"]Zergling animation test - YouTube[/ame]
  • Callesw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really a lot of progress since the start. Good work!
  • GoldBlackWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankyou Callesw, Still a little bit to go to finish it off; nearly done with it though :)
  • GoldBlackWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have done some screens, pretty much wrapping my work on this up.

This is an 8K model of a Zergling, textured, rigged and animated; displayed in the Unreal III engine. I will most likely do a much higher res video for demonstration of the character model in real time soon.

*Images*
    VByFR.jpg
    I0vpp.jpg
    BrdHD.jpg
    KBicg.jpg
    5mrUL.jpg
    1024x1024 maps
  • SpidermkII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good man, shows some great progress from your first few models.

Looking forward to seeing your next project, maybe something with hair would be cool! :)
  • GoldBlackWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the feed back, I'll do my best to make something with hair that actually looks like hair instead on my usual "lets make something bald".