Home Technical Talk

Tiling high poly has seams [black/white where tiling]

Tekoppar
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
So I got some weird seams that seams to be due to lightning in my high poly.

Seam.png

I have been pulling my hair for the last few hours trying to fix this in whatever way possible, I have googled and searched on polycount. Most threads I found were related to UDK and light seam problems. But this is in max, I'm sure it's really easy to fix this issue and it's probably a common problem that's get asked each week so I'm sorry if that's the case and I apologize but I'm ready to give up at this point.

Know I now the high poly should tile perfectly, I created it in max using soft selection and I have even checked each verts and they have the same coordinates as the opposite side. Normal map created from that high poly if it's even relevant.

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Some info on how you are creating this would be useful. What software & methods etc...
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The high poly was create inside 3sd max 2012 using a plane imported from Zbrush (getting the correct size) and then I used soft selection to pull it forward and backwards to make sure it would tile perfectly, imported back to Zbrush to align the sculpted rocks and then exported for baking in Xnormal.
  • CDeniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    Are those tiled pieced merged together or did you just combine them (border vertices not merged as one). This will mess up your smoothing,, at least this is the case for maya. Try merging them and reset the smoothing.

Edit: Is that your normals showing in the screenshot, or your mesh without the normals. Did you have enough padding when baking the normal map?
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah they are welded/merged together, I read a guide the mentioned tiling i 8 times to fix a problem and figured I would give it a try. Tried resetting smoothing and exporting/importing it, but it still shows up like that.

That's my high poly in the first screenshoot, my low poly is just a plane. I'm trying to create a seamless texture that I can use to tile as a ground texture. I didn't have any padding cause I thought you didn't need any padding when creating textures that uses the entire unwrap space.

Edit: So I redid the high poly instead of trying to fix this one, should probably have thought about that in the first place. But hey it's always easy to be clever the next day.