Home General Discussion

Thoughts/ Reviews for Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet w/ 1024 pressure level S pen?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
I like the specs of the ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity better, but wondering opinions by others. IPad has the highest display resolution but far as I know pressure level is still at...what 512?

http://youtu.be/yhp9it10YHc

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Pressure levels aren't something to be too worried about, 16 bit color only has 256 levels, anything above that isn't making the device "better".
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matters to me. If prices are the same I'd still pick the higher level one. If you do lots of thick and thin line drawings and color blending, it's a big difference in my opinion.

But for casual hobbyists, yeah just stick with 512 or less.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don´t think he did the review, but in his last podcast episode Jerzy Drozd (indie comic creator/advocator) talks a bit about this new gadget:

Cool link. Thanks for sharing. I know Jerzy too but I stopped following him when he switched his podcasts into video.

I think this new tablet standard definitely outperforms the old 12" cintiq. No need for cumbersome wires and cables too.

My new ideal art tablet spec now is a 17" display but thin and lightweight.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I don't have the tablet, but sketching on the Galaxy Note is so-so. Not as good as a wacom. Some of the drawing apps have lag and for very thin lines you have to be very gentle when drawing. But if you get used to it it's ok.
    I really hope the Tab has a better CPU - I think that's the note's weakness when it comes to drawing.
  • Futzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm wrote: »
    I don't have the tablet, but sketching on the Galaxy Note is so-so. Not as good as a wacom. Some of the drawing apps have lag and for very thin lines you have to be very gentle when drawing. But if you get used to it it's ok.
    Yeah android art software is really rudimentary atm. Cumbersome with UIs that practically have to have everything hidden, and don't allow a lot of control.

I'd say wait for Windows tablets with Wacom tech to come out after W8 releases in October, since then hardware manufactures will actually care to make something good and competitively priced, and you'll have access to any drawing apps you currently use in windows.
  • Michael Knubben
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Had a mild interest in this tablet as well, but from what I read, they'll probably unveil something newer and shinier at whatever next trade fair there is (and yeah, the bigger galaxy note is supposedly just a stop-gap).

Have any windows/wacom tablets been announced yet?

edit: Hah, that review is all hate.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I was planning on getting this to play with, not so sure anymore :( Guess I'll wait for the next Samsung Slate or something equivalent with windows.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    I actually just got one yesterday. I think its pretty cool. You get pressure levels when sketching - thats rad. Its no portable Cintiq, but it works pretty good. I would recommend it if you don't have any tablet and you are looking something reasonably priced with the most functionality.