Home Technical Talk

Creating normals with multiple objects

I am creating a low poly asset, currently working on high poly for normals. I knew that this screw on the side would be very time consuming to add within the main model itself so I created it separate. Only after I made it I realized my surface wasn't flat beneath... if I'm not mistaken it will appear as a separate object. Not only was this a problem alone but I noticed that if I put it in position the depth actually goes into the model.

I'm not entirely sure what would be the best way to approach this.

ff6cf680edbba8f66b1581c63306e42150af07a41451494257ff74bf375106936g.jpg

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Did you try and bake it to see how it is, to me it looks like the floater will bake just fine if you set up your cage properly for your LP.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Throw some sort of deformer on there to try and match the underlying curvature. You also don't need to worry about putting the screw into the actual position. As Ace alluded to these kinds of details are called floaters and when you set them not to cast shadows they look fine when baked down.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I had this problem; the edges of floats did seem to appear if the underlying surface was curved differently. I still haven't really figured out how to fix it :/
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    m4dcow wrote: »
    floaters and when you set them not to cast shadows they look fine when baked down.

Noob question probably. How do i do this when i bake my stuff in xnormal (modelled in 3dsmax)?
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    I would either model it into the model or bake it flat and combine it with the base normalmap in ps works good if you got a good unwrap.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource wrote: »
    I would either model it into the model or bake it flat and combine it with the base normalmap in ps works good if you got a good unwrap.

Both methods take longer, with no significant benefit.

You simply need to make sure the outer edge of the the floater matches the shape of the object below it. This is usually pretty quick to do even by hand.

floaters101c.jpg
    floaters101b.jpg

Learning how to do little tricks like this will save a loooottttt of time.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noob question probably. How do i do this when i bake my stuff in xnormal (modelled in 3dsmax)?
    Its either in main screen, like "disable backface casting" or its in the AO options, I don't remember, but its easy to find(don't have xn installed on my laptop, I can check later if you still can't find it).
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    Joe, I used to recommend that too, but stopped because if the lowpoly isn't clean the projected normals won't line up correctly when baking and the floating geo gets offset (then you have to go into explaining how that works etc etc)

If you've got a hard edge or a soft edge there, both methods rely on the low being "clean" to avoid skewing etc. Removing the little lip isn't going to make it bake any better if you're getting skewed errors with the top style.

Unless I misunderstood your post or something.

But yeah, I could write a few page on projection errors, skewing, floaters etc, things like making your floaters too deep or floating them too high off the mesh. Thats a whole other bag of worms.

Also, wtf go to bed.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a different thing. In terms of skewing the actual shape of the floater you must have a big angle mismatch, so that's not a huge issue. But even the tiniest amount of skewing onto a surface that is supposed to be parallel will create a hard edge in the shading where the opern borders of the floater are

Hmm, still not sure I really understand, maybe post an image?

I do the little lip on just about all of my floaters and I can't say I've ever really had an issue with it. Even if the surface isn't 100% accurate it usually isn't noticeable(but I'm anal about lining that shit up), even still in actual use a very light seam from the angle being off is IMO better than a clear seam around the object when you don't use a lip... Though AA helps with that I guess.

I suppose if you have a lot of floaters to place along a complicated curved surface, its a lot quicker to do the hard edge floater thing than tweak the lip on a bunch individually, though I usually only run into a couple of those sort of floaters per asset.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A [+] quad used as a wrap/cage deformer would make that kind of tweaking pretty easy, if one needs go to that route.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Its either in main screen, like "disable backface casting" or its in the AO options, I don't remember, but its easy to find(don't have xn installed on my laptop, I can check later if you still can't find it).

Thanks! :)