Home General Discussion

I Wish I Was in Portland Right Now (sweet 3d GOVERNMENT job)

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
http://bit.ly/NuOgCm

I heard that the city has the most strip joint per capita in the States (?) :poly142:
Compensation Salary: $75,795.00 to $80,000.00 per Year Benefits Offered: Sick Leave, Travel Expenses

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i wonder what's so sweet about working for the government as what looks to be a 3d generalist? flying logos much? ;)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well in general government jobs (at least in the past) have been super stable and once you land one, you're pretty much set for life. Normally the work isn't too strenuous and they are easily impressed, so its easy to become a soulless drone who hates his job, slacks off and does whatever he wants while still pulling in decent money. None of this work like a dog for a demanding boss that is only going to screw you over on pay and lay you off once the project is done.

But honestly with government cut backs being what they are (making up most of the unemployment numbers over the last 3 years) it sounds like this would be one of the first jobs to be cut when they encounter a budget shortfall. Also... "government slacker" doesn't exactly look all that good on a resume when you have to renter the work force.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    in Oregon ?

Well I wouldnt be crying about making spinning 3D logos if I got paid that well off the bat.

Whats that EA-LIQUID-VBLIZZARD-NETHER-SOFT? You working stupid crunch again and not seeing your family AGAIN? your kids are growing up and already dating but you remember the last time you saw them they where still in diapers?

Yeah you have a great time working on them AAA games , I'll enjoy my good pay and only working 9-5 and employee stability.

And seriously you can always work on games on the side and have a stable job related to your skills.

<===not jaded at ALL about the game industry :p

Edit:In all seriousness I dont know why people dont go into these jobs more often there really great, the prestige is not there but damn that stability rocks if your trying to save money or work up to do something bigger on the side or raising a family
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    That's what I was thinking, you could pair up with a programmer and in your spare time make a small make.
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    Do you have to live in Oregon to apply for this?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Depends on what part of the 3D you do, could mean some hands on experience with equipment or trips to testing grounds to see some stuff blow up.

I had fun on the trips to bases. Meet troops, eat lunch with them and have a good time.