Home Technical Talk

What program(s) to use?

Hello all,

First post and i have a question, I wanted to know what the workflow would be for the regular, professional 3D modeler:

I'm unsure of what some of the programs provide for better than others for example i could use 3DS to create a mesh, take it into ZBrush, skin it texture it, then take it into Maya for animation.

But this workflow could be interchanged profusely between programs as they all provide different features for doing each others jobs.

This is where my question origins from, i want to know what is regarded or even just your own opinion of what program(s) should be used for creating 3D models.

Also, just incase you want to know, i am working from a Game Design perspective.

Thanks
Kata

Replies

• Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    You probably wont be able to get any one good answer that will explain to you which 3d app is best for what, but I can say that if you wish to work for a studio in particular...find out what they use and go that route.

I myself prefer Maya, for modeling, UV, rigging and animation, granted I try not to get into the latter two. Others will attest to 3DS max. If you are good, you can achieve pretty much the same in both.

Anyways, if you know of a studio in particular you wish to work for...find out what they use and use it. From a game design perspective...well you probably wouldnt do much other than blocking out levels...otherwise focus on your design docs and gameplay elements.

Just my 2cents. Im sure someone better might be able to give a more detailed answer.
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    I am using a bit of everything since all 3d apps have their pros and cons and the more you know the better. However, I started from max because I found imuch more tutorials for it and it was easier for me to understand the modeling part in max. I am still struggling with modeling in maya but I use maya for everything else .
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    I've been using max for long time. But recently decided to switch to Maya. Simply because max is really bloated and slow. In UI and Loading terms. 30s loading vs 10s in maya (from SSD) it's not something I can ignore. Also Viweport in Maya is much more responsive. I personally would also try modo but it doesn't always get support from game (plugins) and unfortunately fbx is not yet ultimate answer.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    This is based on my experience from my company's outsourcing work for various clients, and assumes you want to use programs widespread in the industry.

For modeling, rigging, animation, rendering Max and Maya dominate ( we have very very few requests for XSI deliveries, and none for C4D, Blender, Lightwave, etc).
    For sculpting it's ZBrush and Mudbox are most common.
    Popular helper programs include Topogun, xNormal, nDo(2), 3D Coat, and many more small helpers - whatever makes you work faster / better.

Some studios move between apps (e.g. model in max, animate in Maya), others stay with the same package throughout for various of reasons (pipeline, budget, skills, etc).

Max/Maya, Zbrush/Mudbox are pretty comparable. Both have valiant defenders and bashers. Each package does have strengths over the competition, but also weaknesses in other areas. Then again, "package wars" are for noobs. It's like comparing pencils to brushes. Expect to change packages at some point in your career. Keeping an open mind helps..
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    Also I would like to say that all 3d apps are using same language. Learn one app and you will easilly learn all of them pretty fast.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    You are the artist, you choose the tool.

It's good to check out different ones and find the one which fits the best to you.
  • Katastrophi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for your replies.

I know there is know specific way to do it really only preference, i've been lucky enough to be able to have access to a variety of different packages so i was unsure really where to put my focus.

I think from your posts i've been directed more to start my focus on 3DS Max or Maya and move onto other programs when they are required.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Definitely give all the major programs a go at once if you have the time, see what you personally prefer. Don't forget Modo either :P http://www.luxology.com/trymodo/
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    that is a terrible idea Bek.

when learning it is best to stick with one app and build up your modeling skills, better to spend your time starting off in 3d learning about modeling not the UI and keys of 6 different apps.

maya and max are the 2 biggest ones on the industry atm, so pick one, and learn how to model, UV, and bake textures well in it, and rig and animate if your wanting to work on characters.

once you got a good grasp on that you can move onto some other toys if you feel they could be usefull to you such as ZB for sculpting or modo if your wanting something good for subd modeling.
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    I use:
    3dsmax/blender-Modeling,UV mapping,Baking
    xNormal-baking
    Photoshop-Texturing
    Zbrush-Sculpting
    UDK-Game Environments,Renders