Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Realistic bust, looking for feedback

Lav
Lav
Hello everyone,

I'm quite new to the forum and modeling in ZBrush so hopefully I'll learn a lot from being here on polycount :)

At the moment I'm trying to create realistic 3D heads and would appreciate feedback on them. The main problem is that I'm working with tris instead of quads, due to working with a colleague who uses a different program. The heads are currently made of 1 mesh only but I'm still playing around with different methods so I can create better eyes and hair.

I'll use this thread to update my progress

tijlb.jpg?w=480&h=326

tijla.jpg?w=480&h=324

untitled-3.jpg?w=480

untitled-2.jpg?w=480

untitled-1.jpg

untitled-5.jpg?w=480

untitled-4.jpg?w=480

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    why exactly do you show this messy crunched down wireframe? They all kinda have the 3dscan messyness in them, so what exactly is your work on these?
  • Lav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lav
    The basemesh is a 3D scan import, as you can see at the wireframe it's really messy and difficult to get for example the eyes really smooth. I can't show you the base mesh because it's property of the 3D scanning company but it's similar to the example tools in ZBRush and then I refined it. It's an exercise to find my way around in ZBrush but the goal of it is to have it basicly ready for 3D printing. I was hoping for some feedback and tips on how to improve the messy parts and find a way to clean the wireframe so I can work more efficiently with the faces.
    It isn't my intention to show off work but seeking aid in how to go from here, if that wasn't clear in the original post then I hope I've explained myself better now.

I'll update other excersises as well that I've started from a generic sphere mesh in ZBrush, it's mainly to understand the shape more but still beginner's stuff.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would suggest creating good topology for these, projecting the details from the messy scan mesh, then sculpting the hair etc. on the new mesh. Otherwise you'll be constantly fighting the terrible topology from the optimized scan mesh.
  • Rav3
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Ah okay, well i'm not sure if it would really need a clean retopology or of it would be good enough to just dynamesh it. I stopped working with basemeshes quite a while ago, unless its super clean and technical stuff, for everything organic and smooth i don't see we i would need to have a clean topology as base, it doesn't matter that much for form creation. As long as there is enough and evenly spread topology it will be good enough.
  • Lav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lav
    Isn't the problem with dynamesh that it remeshes your entire object equally? If so, that would be ineffecient for me, because parts like the eyes and nose need more detail than others and I don't want to make the entire mesh too heavy.
    I've tried working with QRemesher, selecting the parts where I want more detail and using guides to show the flow of the mesh, but as you can see at the image bellow, that didn't really give me a very clean result so far.

doroth11.jpg

But anyway, thanks for the tips and suggestions everyone :)
  • Lav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lav
    Also, when I'm looking for tips to render and export as an image, I find that they export it through documents -> export. The resolution however is always set to 72 dpi, is there a way to change this to a higher resolution?