Home Technical Talk

New Zbrush properties how to merge object one in the other and ....

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
And get a good polyflow?

Here is what I am trying to do ....

build an Atlantean sword in several modular little pieces done in 3dsmax ... I want to export in low poly sufficently subdivided and then merge one into the other to create a continuous mesh without seams between objects and possibly get a good polyflow for it .... not that I have to animate but I want to sculpt on the object without problems ...

any ideas?

http://a.yfrog.com/img802/5936/atlantean.jpg

maatlanteanj

Replies

• sebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebas polycounter lvl 14
    Within 'Subtool' there is an option called 'MergeVisible'. Once chosen, search for a 'Merged_X' tool... is that what you meant? note that you should have the pieces as a subtools prior doing this.

EDIT: Or, if the pieces are as a one subtool, you could switch 'Geometry: Dynamesh' ON and press Ctrl+Drag to get a continuous uniform sculpt. Hope it helps.
  • cdizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebas is right in that you can use the various Merge functions with the weld option turned on and any vertices you have lined up properly (from your Max modular objects) will be merged, creating a continuous mesh in one subtool.

Dynamesh would create a continuous mesh out of separate but touching meshes within a single subtool, but will completely change the topology that you worked to create within Max.

One other option is to use the new feature in ZBrush 4R4, where you can insert a mesh using a custom insert brush and ZBrush will automatically create bridging geometry between the two objects. You'd first have to create a custom insert brush using your handle, then create a polygroup for the part of your sword body which the handle will connect to, then use your custom handle insert brush (being sure to begin your stroke on your 'bridge section' polygroup). If your topology is set up cleanly from Max, the bridge geometry that ZBrush creates is usually pretty clean.

With this new feature, you could create a new Insert Multi-Mesh brush which has all your various sword components in a single brush, and you can mix and match them to create various swords.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    thanks , I guess is not what I am looking for after ... still the most close woudl be dynamesh but then the topology woudl be messed up ...
  • dreatern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dreatern polycounter lvl 6
    You can merge all, dynamesh it, sculpt, polypaint, decimate and export to obj. Use xnormal to bake the sculpted dynamesh sword into your original (unwrapped) sword .
    That way you don't lose the original topology.

1- GOZ - 3Ds max > ZBrush
    2- Merge all
    3- Dynamesh
    4- Sculpt / polypaint
    5- Decimate !- if needed -!
    6- Export to OBJ
    7- Bake with xnormal using your original 3ds max sword (unwrapped) and the exported OBJ
    8- Happy face :D
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    NAIMA WAIT :P
    I was just watching a demo of this exact sort of thing at Siggraph.
    http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Replacing_Parts_of_a_Model
    hopefully that page will help
  • cdizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^^^ that's what I said, but probably more helpful due to the link to the docs page
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Thankyou guys I will try to read that Dylan ...

as for the sword progress here it is ...

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/9341/58332257.jpg

I tried to use the dynamesh but the results were sloppy , I was told I shoudl decrease the dimension of the item but I tought perhaps I woudl get better results by appling it on single tools instead than the whole sword ...